The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Micro pigs?? Are they for real, or a scam?

Rachael Ray had micro pigs on her show today, I thought it was REALLY cute, and kind of want one. Yes, there may very well be something wrong with me!

Does anyone know if these things REALLY stay under 25lbs? Or is it a case of don't feed it and it won't grow??

I wouldn't have a huge problem if it got PB pig size, but I do think it's unfair for the poor thing to be inside, and get lots of attention, then be shunted outside when to big to be in the house. Though I did see a house with the realtor that had a 300lb+ PB pig in the kitchen, the thing GROWLED at me!!!

TIA!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

We bought one a year and a half ago and even though he was labled "micro mini" the breeder told us he would mature at about 75 pounds. Which he did--very quickly! Anyone who tells you they will stay under 25 pounds is going to have a very long nose They're funny and smart and lovable. But he's definitely a barn character and not a house pet.

Pigs can breed way before they are done growing, so just because the parents are smaller doesn't mean the babies will stay under that size.

My 8 to 12 week-old Yorkshire crosses have been small and cute. They don't stay like that for too long, even if not fed properly. PB pigs aren't too terribly different, they just don't get as big as the meat pigs. They still grow for a long time though. It's not at all like a dog who can be mostly grown at 6 months. Our big pig is 6 or so months, and he's not anywhere close to done growing! I've also seen some PB types that you would think should be about as big as they will get, and a year later they are quite a bit larger.

All these pigs trace back to potbelly pigs originally imported, so yes, there are smaller versions, but true micro pigs...no. Just small runts being bred to each other and the health issues associated with it, plus often, massive underfeeding to keep them smaller.

My sister in law bought two from a flea market and the seller assured her that they'd be miniature (micro). They're quite large and under a year old. I imagine about 75+ pounds each.

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugred View Post
    Rachael Ray had micro pigs on her show today, I thought it was REALLY cute, and kind of want one. Yes, there may very well be something wrong with me!

Does anyone know if these things REALLY stay under 25lbs? Or is it a case of don't feed it and it won't grow??

Very cute, very expensive scam.....they don't stay under 25 lbs at all! Sometimes wish I had the brass to think these things up and then make a bundle (ah....I wish I'd thought of pet rocks!....which are proof positive that people will do/buy anything!)!

No such thing as a 25lb pig, oh well, not like I need another critter anyway!!

Thanx

LBR

This:
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21160...80191555BjhCbI
    can quickly become this:
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/14903...80191555DStIZS
    (the one in the background is the same one in the first photo all grown up)
    I've had 2 pot bellied pigs and still have one. Wouldn't have another. They are cute and trainable and all that but like any other animal they are a serious commitment. My pig is 16 years old and counting....
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Is that 16 years old and counting....or counting down? Sorry, couldn't
    resist.

Default Royal Dandie Extreme

http://www.royaldandie.com/pricing.php

They ARE tiny, some can remain as small as 25 pounds and they are EXPENSIVE. One farm has prefected them and they do NOT sell intact breeding stock (so no you cant breed your own, you'll have to clone one if you want breeding stock, lols!). I've actually seen one in person a two year old female that weighed 35 pounds on the scale. Super cute, super tiny and somewhat high maintance. But I guess if worth it for FIVE GRAND

Teeny tiny piggies have a high incidence of hypoglycemia. Must be fed small amounts often, need fresh veggies as well as food designed for mini pigs. They also need regular hoof care, vaccines and are not welcome in many cities, towns or municipalities. But they do have that cuteness factor working for them if they can just stay tiny.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I don't call mine micros. My female is 40lbs and my male is 30. I just call them small pot bellies. I'll be having a litter in about two months.
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugred View Post

I wouldn't have a huge problem if it got PB pig size, but I do think it's unfair for the poor thing to be inside, and get lots of attention, then be shunted outside when to big to be in the house. Though I did see a house with the realtor that had a 300lb+ PB pig in the kitchen, the thing GROWLED at me!!!

TIA!

LBR
    M

I dont know if the micro pigs are scams or not but has anyone seen the Hereford pigs? Oh. My. Gosh. They are so cute I almost want to get a pig for my farm.

Honestly - I get sick of those shows that are in fact infomercials - Oprah, Rachael Rae...I'm sure she does not have personal knowledge that the pigs will stay 'micro'. Get your product to air on Oprah's show and you are made - she even makes tv stars - Dr Phil, Dr Oz, Nate, her personal trainer, Gail, etc..

Default sad problem

In my area there are many unwanted Potbellies because of one pet store that pushes that untrue "micro" idea. Local shelter received 32 in one year....

Talking my own pot belly experience....

15 years or so ago when I worked at a pet store (private, nice, clean, they way the SHOULD have stayed) someone brought in a baby pot belly and convinced a sweet naive clerk (me) that she should buy one and see if the customers were interested because it was the "New Pet" and "sure to sell"....so I did.

3 months later the damn thing was still there, no longer as sweet or cute, and when we let him out to romp with visitors (as we did with all of the pets, before you got sued for everything under the sun) he found a 7 or 8 year old girl and proceeded to jump on her. Before I could get around the counter to grab him I heard her shriek "MOMMMY, HE PEED ON ME".

ummm....it wasn't pee. I decided right then and there to NEVER EVER own one.
    I think the owner of the store gave him away to a farmer the next day.
    Katherine
    Proudly owned by 7 horses, 6 dogs, 3 cats and 1 Turkey
    www.piattfarms.com

I didn't even OPEN this thread yesterday, but apparently the title subliminally stuck with me because I had a dream about itty, bitty, microscopic pigs last night. Thankyouverymuch.
    Click here before you buy.

Curious DW. My little guys name is Itty Bitty Bobby. I think he might want to come live with you

I really should have figured it out when, in the same segment, there was a mini horse and they said it would make a good INDOOR pet!

Deltawave- Your welcome

CHS- How old are your 30 & 40 lb piggies? Can they be fed normally as opposed to restricted to stay small?

LBR