The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Fine shavings"

Where do you find such things? None of my local feed stores seem to carry them. I bed deeply on pellets but wouldn't mind adding some fine shavings as I see some of you do, but can't find any to give it a whirl. Thanks!

It would help to know where you live. Telling you where I find small flake shavings won't help unless I live near you.

chicamuxen

A sawmill might be your cheapest option. I pay $180 for a huge dump truck full. But I am in PA not sure what costs would be near you. We also get some from a company that makes pallets. I also know of another company that builds shed that lets you take for free if you bring your own bags and bag it out of their shop (way too time consuming for me)

I like the Guardian Swift Pick shavings the best. Check here to see if there is a distributer near you:

http://www.guardianhorsebedding.com/...FddA2godE3Nbcg

Sorry, northern Indiana. I need something bagged, no storage for a truckload.

The Guardian swift-pick looks awesome, thanks!

Is there a Tractor Supply nearby? They just started carrying them here (VA).

Quote Originally Posted by SunkenMeadow View Post
    A sawmill might be your cheapest option. I pay $180 for a huge dump truck full. But I am in PA not sure what costs would be near you. We also get some from a company that makes pallets. I also know of another company that builds shed that lets you take for free if you bring your own bags and bag it out of their shop (way too time consuming for me)
    Please tell me your source!! I pay $500 for 30yds!!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
    Please tell me your source!! I pay $500 for 30yds!!
    Holy crow! That's a lot. I know I get a good deal, but did not realize that good! I don't know yardage, but its a huge commercial dump truck full (the one's that have the tag-tri axle on them) and a load lasts my 10 horses months. Only condition is pay cash... and I do gladly!

Well - I might not be too bad then. My load will last 18 stalls like two months so I guess I can breath again.
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

http://www.koettersmith.com/premium-...horse-shavings is the web site of Koetter and Smith. They make 3 sizes of shavings and they are in Indiana. I visited with them at a horse expo a few weeks ago. They are also sarting to carry a wonderful small, thin, soft white pine shaving from Vermont. Check their web site or call them.

chicamuxen

Guardian Swift-Piks are my favorite, but I have to drive 45 miles to buy them. J.P. McCrumb makes a "fine pine" that is very, very close, and I can get those on my way home from work.

Definitely see about finding a Guardian dealer, they are very nice. I've been tempted to become a dealer myself, just for my own use!
    Click here before you buy.

Marth has an "Easy Pick" version as well, basically the same thing as the Guardian. I believe they're based out of Wisconsin but I could be wrong. Might be worth looking into though.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

its been slim pickins here in Indiana for me too. I have tried all 4 local feed or TSC stores and have found no FINE shavings anywhere.The Koetter & Smith ones that I can find are too dusty for me. My regular feed store has had shavings on order for over 2 weeks and still no delievery. Doesn't help that all the ponies have been locked up due to the ice...fortunately I had a good supply until I ran out today.Might just have to make due on the pellets until this weather breaks! It won't come soon enough!!!!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Callaway Farms offers a "sure-pick" shavings, maybe you can find a dealer in your area?

http://www.callawayfarms.us/surepick.html

I think they even make one called EZ-Pick, that is what I use, but it does not come in their typical white bag, so I don't know if they are making this just for the feed store where I get it, as I don't see it on their website. The EZ-Pick is a very small flake shaving.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

TSC has fine shavings, they're in a yellow bag. 5 bucks a bag where I live. I love them, MUCH less waste.

Quote Originally Posted by TBROCKS View Post
    TSC has fine shavings, they're in a yellow bag. 5 bucks a bag where I live. I love them, MUCH less waste.
    Where are you? My TSC doesn't have any shavings in a yellow bag...

I really like Guardian Swift pick shavings. Have used them for years. Much easier than the big shavings.

My Tractor Supply just put out the fine shavings in the yellow bag. They seem OK, not sure how dusty they are.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Thanks, we just had a TSC open five minutes away. They don't have fine shavings but I can ask if they will carry them, since they are new perhaps they will be accomodating. It looks like the closest Guardian dealer is an hour away and my local feed store doesn't carry any fine shavings, nor does their dealer. Too bad, I'd rather give them my money but so it goes. I give them plenty already!

Just saw those new fine shavings at TSC when I was there last. I still prefer to support my local feed store, which DOES (thank GOD) carry ones that I like, but it's nice to have an option to pick up a couple of bags when I'm doing the TSC thing. There's a TSC on my way out of town for most horse shows, so that's an option for picking up some bedding on the way to a show if I forget.
    Click here before you buy.