The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking New County Saddle!

All I can say is "WOW!" My new County saddle arrived at my office on Friday, and I rode in it a couple of times over the weekend.

First of all, it really does improve my horse's movement. I don't know what it is about the saddle that causes this, but it is incredible. My trainer was *very* happy!

Second, it puts me in a really good position and improves my balance. My downward transitions are much better, and it is easier for me to hold my upper body properly.

Love, love, love it!

I do have one question for COTH land on break in (my previous saddles were purchased used so I've never been through this process before) -- my upper, inner thigh feels a little bruised today. Could this be the result of breaking the saddle in? The demo I rode in before I ordered the saddle didn't have this effect. TIA!

So glad to hear you love it!

In my experience with new County saddles, does take a little time, a few weeks of regular use to get 100% comfortable in it. Which saddle did you get?

TarheelJD is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Which saddle did you get?
    I bought a Conquest. It's funny, because from all of my "out of the saddle" research, I thought I would end up with an Innovation, but when the rep came out and I tried a bunch of different saddles, the Conquest was obviously the one that worked best for both me and my horse. It's one of the rare times in my life that I ended up spending less $ than I thought I would!

Did you use the same stirrups leathers when you were trying test saddles as you did with your new saddle?

Is the tree the same width on your new saddle as the demos?

Either of those could affect your upper inner thigh.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Congrats! Can I see the baby pictures? You'll want to snap those before it grows up. This is the one kind of baby picture I really, really want to see.

I just posted this elsewhere: I like the Conquest's balance better than the Stabilizer. The Innovation is an entirely different kind of saddle. The Conquest reminds me of the original Crosby/Tad Coffin saddle. There's a lot to like there.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Congrats on the new addition to your family!

Interesting note... Alex (the hubby) has had the same saddle for years, but I finally got him new leathers. His others were stretched to almost gross-ness. I got him (and myself a set, too) the Passier no-stretch calfskin leathers. He showed on Saturday and complained that his inner-thigh felt bruised on his right side. His right side is *always* the side he leans on when going over a jump. These new leathers are markedly thicker than his old Crosby XL leathers.

Might be the new leathers, as someone else posted.

I hope you, your horse and new County have many happy yers together!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Seriously I am so jealous! I can't wait for my saddle to get here. A couple more weeks. Gives me some time to get Fatty McFattster back to his "fighting weight" anyways.

I got the Stabilizer XTR, which is my favorite County saddle thus far. I know I begged for pictures on the other thread... please...

Original Poster

pattnic and hollynanne: I am using the same leathers as I used on the demo, and the new one is supposed to be the same size tree.

The only thing I can think of that I did differently this weekend was wear full seat breeches on Sunday (and I did not notice any bruised feeling until Sunday night). I never really wear full seats, but was giving them a try.

mvp and tidy rabbit: I am an technologically challenged, and don't know how to post photos. I tried to figure out how to attach a jpeg, but I am clueless. Can you only insert photos that are on the web (since I see how to add a web link)?

JEALOUS!!! My Conquest was ordered 10 days after yours. Hopefully that means I'm down to just a few more days... (I haven't gotten the ship notification yet).

And I agree on the balance... I tried both the Stabilizer and the Innovation... one I sat in and went "no way" (and maresy was unenthused as well), the other I trotted a circle before rejecting it. I sat in the Conquest and swear I could hear angels sing I know the rep, so she brought it back a second time for a jump lesson before I ordered it.

I was warned that the plain leather does take some significant break in time, which could be part of the problem if that's what you ordered!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

As a premium member you can post photos directly (sorry no idea how) or upload photos to free host sites such as photobucket etc & add the link.

OR just email them to a less technically challenged person that will post'em for you

how many other brands did you try before settling on County? And I agree, need to see pictures!

Original Poster

Before running to my 1:30 pm meeting, I figured out that I needed to be a Premium Member to post. OK, no problem -- jumped on PayPal and became a Premium Member. Unfortunately, I hit hurddle number 2 -- the size of the JPEG I have exceeds the boards limits!

Now that I am out of my meeting, I will see what else I can try -- maybe if I go the photobucket route I can get the photo up!

Ibex: On February 10 I got my notification that the saddle was being shipped from the UK to Maryland, and would arrive in Maryland on Wednesday, February 16. I paid an extra $25 for two day shipping so it would arrive at my office in Atlanta on Friday, and I could ride in it this weekend. Since you ordered 10 days after me, you literally should be getting your email about it shipping from the UK any time now!

I felt like you did with the Conquest - I knew immediately it was the right one. My trainer was there during our saddle trials, and she saw right away how well he moved in it, and how it helped my position too. I had an appointment set up for the Devoucoux rep to come out a few days after the County rep to try some of their saddles that I'd sat in at WEG, but I cancelled it. Once I rode in the Conquest, I was done shopping.

If you can edit the photo (right click on it when viewing and see if there is an Open In Editor option) you can save it in a lower resolution. Or you can email them to me and I can do it for you.

the size of the JPEG I have exceeds the boards limits!
    just email it to yourself & when your smart computer asks if you want to downsize for emailing, just say YES works for me every time (or at least it would if I wasn't too lazy to ever post a photo )

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    how many other brands did you try before settling on County? And I agree, need to see pictures!
    I spent a day at WEG talking to and sitting in Devoucoux, Antares and CWD (I had previously talked to the County rep at the American Eventing Championships in Georgia in September). From those meetings, I decided I'd spend the money to have County and Devoucoux come to my barn -- knowing I'd be paying for the trial visit of the company I did not end up buying from.

After setting up the County and Devoucoux meetings, I did some more research on wool vs. foam, and the reputations of the two companies. I loved Devoucoux's saddles, but their customer service track record leaves a lot to be desired. And I was leaning towards wool after learning more about the difference between wool and foam. Finally, Devoucoux's rep is based in Florida while the County rep lives in Georgia. So, I was already leaning towards County when the County rep came out. Then, when I liked the Conquest so much, I cancelled the subsequent Devoucoux appointment.

So, long way of saying I sat in lots of saddles, but only test rode County saddles on my horse before making a decision. I do wonder if I jumped the gun and should have test ridden the Devoucoux saddles too, but I can't imagine I'd be much happier with the outcome than I am. Maybe one day I'll end up giving Devoucoux a try after all.

Original Poster

Let's see if this works -- I have a picture attached in the "Additional Options" box below this message. Hopefully when I hit "Submit Reply," it will be there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00014-20110218-1110.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	32081  

Original Poster

YAY! It worked! This is the only picture I've taken so far (saddle and girth in my office, right after taking them out of the box). I'll take more at the barn, including on my horse, when I'm out there next, and post them!

: clapping :

Gorgeous saddle & I'm glad you bought the matching girth

Ohhhhh, it's puuuuuurty.... <drool> I can't tell if that's calfskin or plain leather from the photo, but if it's the plain leather, I was told that oiling and "rolling" the flaps will reduce break-in time.

I'm in Canada, so apparently they'll ship directly to me instead of to Maryland, or if I prefer, the rep. She's 5 minutes up the road, so either way it's all good!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Original Poster

According to my rep, County is starting to make matching stirrup leathers again too. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before they are available.

But the color appears to be almost identical to Stubben's "ebony," because my Stubben ebony leathers look really good on the new saddle.

Thanks to everyone for the help posting the photo! I never would have figured it out without your advice.