The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do you clip for summer?

I am debating whether or not to clip my pony for summer. He's lost a lot of hair already because its been around 70 degrees the past 2 weeks in GA. Although today at our lesson he got very hot and sweaty. Will it look neater for shows? Or should we keep his nice summer coat(once he sheds out all the way).

I always clipped my daughter's ponies in the summer. they had THICK coats. Even some of our hunters get clipped in the summer

I personally would wait till the summer coat came in. I am not a big fan of the color left under the clip job on certain colors, bay and chestnut in particular. Grey I don't mind.

What kayteedee said- unless your pony has one of those really thick coats. And man am I jealous!! I wish I were somewhere that it was already starting to feel like summer!

haha yes but as of today and yesterday it is chilly yet again here! and by chilly i mean 60
    if this helps, we are about to reclip again before we do conyers and that should hold for spring and summer so yes, i would do your pony by mid march @ the latest!!!! It will look so much better at the horse shows.

I had to clip my big guy twice last summer. He is a ISH and he grows the shaggiest summer coat I've ever seen in my life on a full-sized horse...
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

We clip a couple of times in the summer and we actually clip right around now before the summer coat comes in. We have a 4 yr old who is going to start work in March and she will need to be clipped for that. In our experience clipping now has brought in a really pretty Spring coat on our horses.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    I had to clip my big guy twice last summer. He is a ISH and he grows the shaggiest summer coat I've ever seen in my life on a full-sized horse...
    Was just going to say that clipping is pretty much year round here in Ireland. Never hot and coats tend to stay thickish. Course my warmblood mare out of a full TB needs the least clipping. And she is bay but the day after her clip she has a shine and doesn't look strange at all.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

It's supposed to be mid 70's Sunday in Atl. Tomorrow would be a good day for deep cleaning the ponies.... and clipping them before they get sick from sweating in their winter woolies.