The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Installing your fake tail

Someone asked for this on another thread, but since I wrote a novel, I thought I would make a separate thread for easy search-ability on the future. I invite you all to add your own methods to this thread. This is my description of how to install a fake withOUT doing a tail braid. I was taught this by my awesome braider, Margie. After a little practice it'll take less than 10 minutes.

Okay, this is how I do it.

First, let me describe my tail. It's put together in graduated layers so it's not all coming from one big poofy top. The hair is added to a fabric base as you go lower. The top isn't that thick and there is a fabric loop on the top. It's a small loop -- I can't get more than the top of my pinkie through the loop.

Also, the first few time you do this it's nice to have a helper to hold onto the fake to take the weight off. Also, you'll need a big claw-style hair clip, a couple of long pieces of color-coordinating yarn, and a latch-hook like you'd use when braiding.

First you want to pick the right level to install the hair. Not too low, and not too high. If your horse, like mine, has a thin tail but one that has long stringy pieces, just hack the bottom couple of inches off the natural tail.

Once you've determined the level of the tail, part the hair on the dock horizontally and clip up the top part. This is the hair that's going to come down and hide your installation.

Now take a hunk of hair and divide it into three sections. This is the weight-bearing braid, so you want the hunk to be big enough to distribute the weight of the tail, but not so big that it won't be hidden. This may take a few practices to see how big this hunk should be.

Using your latch hook, bring the center section of hair through the loop. Now braid the hair down under the loop, so the top of the braid is supporting the braid. Braid tightly to keep the fake in nice and secure. Add a piece of yarn and braid down and tie it off like you would a regular braid.

Now take the loose ends of the yarn and cross them behind the tail bone and bring them back to the front and tie them off. This should be snug but obviously not tight enough to cut off circulation.

I should note here that all this should be done with effort to keep the braids and the yarn tight and close to the tail bone. The more hair that is left over to cover the braid, the better it will be hidden.

Now that the tail is structurally sound, you'll use one more braid to integrate the fake into the real and keep them from separating. Go a couple of inches down the tailbone from where you just put in the structural braid. Grab some hair from the back side of the tail and bring it forward, grabbing some of the hair from the fake with it. Braid down again to keep the fake tail tight against the tail bone. Add yarn, tie off, and cross the yarn behind the tail bone and tie it off in front.

Now, clip off the ends of the yarn and release the dock hair from the clip. Hopefully you'll have enough up there to cover up your installation braids. If not, try again but maybe make the second braid higher, make the braids shorter before you tie them off, or work on getting your yarn under the hair and against the tail bone so that you have more loose hair to cover your braids. Run a brush gently though the new tail to mix everything together and you should be golden!

The important things to remember are that the top braid has to be tight and strong because it's holding up the weight of the braid. Also, you have to remember that the goal is to attach the fake tail ALONG the tail bone so that it doesn't separate. That's what wrapping the yarn around the tail and adding the second braid does. Also, make sure your fake is just as nice and clean and fluffy as your real tail. There's nothing that makes a fake tail more obvious that a crimp in the bottom of the fake from being stuck in tail bag that's too short and folds the tail at the bottom!

Does this make sense? I hope this helped. Good luck!

(Of course, there are many ways to install a fake. This is just one that works for me and my tail )
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Default Thank you!

This is great! I do braid tails (w/o fakes) but am just learning how to do it with a fake now.

If any braiders have more insights please share...

I have seen tails braided with fakes aready in (as decribed above) and most recently saw the tail braided FIRST then the fake pulled up to a midway point of the braid and ties off into the braid (I think). I think that this works best with the natrural loop style end.
    Last edited by sarcam02; Feb. 10, 2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by sarcam02 View Post
    This is great! I do braid tails (w/o fakes) but am just learning how to do it with a fake now.

If any braiders have more insights please share...

I have seen tails braided with fakes aready in (as decribed above) and most recently saw the tail braided FIRST then the fake pulled up to a midway point of the braid and ties off into the braid (I think). I think that this works best with the natrural loop style end.
    This is how my braider does our tails when they are fancy-braided.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Good advice. Wish there were pictures of video along with it!

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Good advice. Wish there were pictures of video along with it!
    Matbe I'll make a video next weekend If I can find someone to hold the camera... Or I can quickly grow a third arm...

That would be SO awesome. I'm totally new to this. I have my first Ap and his tail is really needing help!

Thanks for the info.

ExJumper, excellent explanation and exactly how I do it. I tie in the fake tail and do not braid, and it looks great, even over fences. The only good picture I have is of him braided though (one good thing about the ApHC, it taught me about tails!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU2nHas6lvA#t=2m10s

The only thing I would add is that I did trim my tail so I could get the top of it exactly where I wanted it on the tail bone and have the bottom end where I wanted it. I like the top of the fake tail about two inches above the bottom of the tail bone, which is what works best for my horse's tail. My horse is not that tall, so I did have to trim the bottom of the fake tail a bit.

The other thing that is on the other thread, but not here, is to be sure to get the right kind of top. I like the natural loop, with the fake tail attached together with a thin-ish longer braid as opposed to a plastic knob or a very thick braid at the top.

peripherally related tail braiding link. My favorite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1iUbV1zG5I

ToTheNines, very cute horse. Do you have any pics of his natural tail?

Great video, sarcam02. I'm going to have to save this one!

Will the braider get a cut of the video profits?
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Quote Originally Posted by Giddy-up View Post
    Will the braider get a cut of the video profits?
    I didn't see this post before!

I promise you, the second I make a profit I'll be sure to give some to your mom