The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dover Saddlery-Great Customer Service

My barn manager (who rarely uses a computer) asked me to post her story. As a loyal Dover customer, she contacted them when she learned from our saddle fitter that the tree was broken in one of her Wintec Saddles. She called Dover and was instructed to send it back. She sent it back, waited a few weeks and contacted them for the status. Turns out Wintec was completely stonewalling them on repairing the tree or replacing the saddle. Dover continued to try to get Wintec to stand up to their warranty and ultimately told her that she had waited long enough and they would go ahead and replace the saddle with the new model (and hers was 10 years old) and continue to deal with Wintec.

Not only that, but they overnighted the saddle to her and it came yesterday. She is absolutely thrilled.

So there is your feel good for customer service of the day.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I had a similar experience with Ariat boots. Ariat said that at 13 months, the boots were out of warranty. Dover replaced them. Yeah Dover!

I have the Circuit Grand Prix bridle in horse size, but my new-ish guy should really have an oversize browband (the rest fits). I contacted them about ordering just a browband for that bridle (it is not sold that way) and CS got back to me and is going to sell me the brow band I need at a very reasonable price.

I am happy.

Now if they would just do shipping deals like Smartpak...
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I like them too. My husband ordered me a pair of boots which were dlivered according to the USPS as well as UPS (both servers were used) but nerver arrived. My husband had them sent to his office building with many floors. When we could not get the post office to help, Dover sent me a new pair and were very reasonable and pleasant. I buy quite a lot from them and have never had a complaint.

I've had several great experiences with them too -- including them sending me a free helmet when their computer system shipped the one I ordered to the wrong address.

Unfortunately I have had so many bad experiences with their customer service people that I no longer shop there. I have a great local store, and also patronize SmartPak and Beval. I just got some fantastic deals at the Beval sale.

The worst Dover experience was when they sent the wrong color, monogrammed trunk cover. They made me send it back at my own expense and then I had to wait another month for them to do it again in the correct color. There was certainly no discount for the delay for THEIR mistake, either! I also had a problem when I called to order some Alushield (specific product, comes in only one size). I was at the barn and did not have a catalog handy. They made such a fuss about my not having the item number that I hung up without ordering and called Beval, who were happy to help me over the phone.

Default Good Service

I ordered two Rambo Blankets last Wednesday morning and they arrived Friday morning by FedEx with a regular shipping charge versus "rush delivery"......Dover has been much better the last nine months.......Maybe sales are down?
    Last edited by Berkley; Feb. 15, 2011 at 07:17 AM. Reason: spelling
    Berkley

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Dover has been much better the last nine months.......Maybe sales are down?
    Definitely not because of me! I regularly buy from them and love them lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    I ordered two Rambo Blankets last Wednesday morning and they arrived Friday morning by FedEx with a regular shipping charge versus "rush delivery"......Dover has been much better the last nine months.......Maybe sales are down?
    Sales are probably down everywhere, but I suspect that it's simply that Dover is listening ... My recent experiences have had an extra touch to them, compared to before all of the recent major Dover bashes. They're simply smart enough to realize that SmartPak is giving them a run for their money, and they aren't going to just roll over and play dead about it. It's unfortunate that they let themselves fall into a slump, but can't fault them for trying to dig themselves out of it.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I'm not a big Dover fan. Their shipping us REALLY expensive! However I do take advantage of their closeout Horseware blankets. I got one last year (green plaid rhino) and the fabric fell apart. I told Dover about it and they told me to send the blanket back (free shipping) and they would give me a full refund. It took a while but I just got a Dover gift card for the full amount. I thought their customer service was pretty good.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Quote Originally Posted by CuriosoJorge View Post
    Unfortunately I have had so many bad experiences with their customer service people that I no longer shop there. I have a great local store, and also patronize SmartPak and Beval. I just got some fantastic deals at the Beval sale.

The worst Dover experience was when they sent the wrong color, monogrammed trunk cover. They made me send it back at my own expense and then I had to wait another month for them to do it again in the correct color. There was certainly no discount for the delay for THEIR mistake, either! I also had a problem when I called to order some Alushield (specific product, comes in only one size). I was at the barn and did not have a catalog handy. They made such a fuss about my not having the item number that I hung up without ordering and called Beval, who were happy to help me over the phone.
    Oh, put a sock in it.
    This is supposed to be nice experiences.
    I have had really good experiences, even when mistakes have been made. I have enough "love" for both Dover & Smart Pak.
    ....... pausing

Cool

Excuse me, I didn't realize you were the boss of this thread.

Both of the experiences I shared happened within the past year. I am very pleased for the people who have had good experiences with Dover. *I* have not been so lucky, and there is nothing wrong with my saying that on this forum.

I buy from them a lot, mainly because I'm located right next to one of their brick and mortar stores. I had a great experience when I purchased a new saddle. They took an additional $100 off the sale price, and they threw in a free gullet change system.

They also let me know that you can have orders shipped to your house for free if you make your orders at the store, which saves a few dollars if they don't have the item in store.

I don't have many complaints. When I was fitted for a new helmet, the woman convinced me I needed a helmet size that ended up giving me a horrible headache. Dover took it back and gave me a different size though, so I was still happy! I also tried to buy a jacket online once, but it turned out they weren't completely sold out, not selling them anymore. I wish they'd taken them off the website if they didn't carry it anymore!

Overall, I'm very happy with my experiences at/with Dover!