The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fixing Rips on Pommel

I have an older saddle that has a two rips on the pommel (one on each side). Is it possible to stitch it up or somehow to prevent the rips from spreading? How much does it usually cost to have this sort of problem repaired? Would I need to ship my saddle somewhere or can someone like a show repair place do it locally?

I have had something similar happen to my 2001 Beval Natural. I rode in jeans too much as a jr.

When i took it to Beval at Hits this summer, they said they had to replace the whole seat, and it was going to be about 800.

Some saddlers will patch a rip like that -- Looks like they glue a piece of leather over it -- I'm not sure if they stitch it together first -- I've seen a few saddles that have been repaired in this way, and they all happen to belong to trainers -- So, I know they get heavy use -- The patches seem to hold up well, and you can't see them when the rider is seated --

I assume patching is far less expensive than replacing the seat -- I'd call around to local saddlers to get a price --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

My DD bought a saddle off eBay that was ripped as you describe and the seller refused to make good on it. Said you couldn't "Really see it"!! I called a local saddle maker here in OK and he told me he usually fixed those rips with super glue!! You squirt it generously through the crack, press together and wait for it to dry. Simple, cheap, quick repair. We did it and it worked perfectly. With no noticeable repair evidence. DD later sold the saddle - it didn't fit her horse - and explained the damage/repair to the prospective buyer. Buyer was totally satisfied with the repair and saddle when she saw it.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

It's super expensive to really *fix* it, because that requires a whole new seat. But as other have said, it's easy to repair it well enough and keep it from spreading. I had this sort of thing patched on one of my saddles back in the day, and I more recently helped a friend use superglue on hers. Easy-peasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisHillEC View Post
    When i took it to Beval at Hits this summer, they said they had to replace the whole seat, and it was going to be about 800.
    Its up to more than $900 to replace the seat at Bevals now. The patches, while unsightly, do seem to hold up well and cost a lot less. And once you're in the saddle they're generally not visible.

Who can put a patch on the seat? Could I do it myself? What type of glue works best?

Quote Originally Posted by ParisHillEC View Post
    I have had something similar happen to my 2001 Beval Natural. I rode in jeans too much as a jr.

I have a very old Butet (20+ yrs) that has a dime sized hole there. Since it is a spare saddle for me, I use Duck tape.

Quote Originally Posted by ownedbyapony View Post
    Who can put a patch on the seat? Could I do it myself? What type of glue works best?
    Gorilla Glue.

I do have Gorilla glue. Where is the best place to get a patch? I would like something that blends in with the color of my saddle.

I took mine to a saddle repair guy who made a patch, cut it to fit nicely, glued it on. Then he stripped and redyed the entire saddle so it blended together. Cost me about $150 but the saddle had water damage marks on it so that was part of the cost.

Here are two photos that show the rips. Would it be okay if I pour a little super glue into one just to experiment like someone mentioned?

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...saddlerips.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...addlerips2.jpg

I bought an old flat jump saddle a while back and someone had repaired a similar rip with good old X cross stitching. Not pretty but it worked, and you can't feel the stitching when you ride.

Just another alternative.