The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default More snow--lots of snow

And this time I'm not properly prepared at all. It's been snowing for hours and is expected to snow at least until sometime tonight. Look like eight to ten inches this time.

Most snow we've had in decades.

How do people for whom snow is a common occurrence deal with and prepare for it?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Can't help you with snow, but I'm good with hurricanes. Just wanted to wish you the best dealing with the snow. It must be a royal pain. Stay safe.

Every fall I start making sure to keep a lot of canned food for everybody (people, dogs, cats). Extra hay and grain for horses. Gas for generator, vehicles gassed up, antifreeze topped off, windshield wiper fluid full. Fences and sheds in good condition. Heaters for water tubs a nice idea if you have access to electric. Lots of candles,flashlights, and batteries, books, movies and board games. Then only go outside as often as neccessary to take care of horses, otherwise hunker down inside and wait it out.
    Stallions are from Mars.
    Mares are from Venus.
    Ponies are from Hell!

We had 6" of wet snow last week, down to -7.
    We had 7" of dry snow last night, down to -2, but are back to 20 right now.
    It is sitting in big drifts, on top of what was left of the old snow.

The horses are fine, playing in the snow.

When you live in the land of snow, you get used to being prepared for it. We have the equipment to deal with it, our lifestyle and our horses lifestyles are set up to handle it, and life goes on as normal. Now, there are days when you look out side and think "is my journey really necessary?" and if the answer is "no" you stay home.

From a work perspective, in the winter I always make sure I take something home with me i could work on the next day if the weather closed in overnight.

I make sure my feed and hay stocks are such that we don't run into problems if we can't get out, or don't want to get out, for a couple of days. I have basic vet stuff on hand.

We had about 10" on Monday night. Snow's clean. I'd rather deal with it than mud. It's the cold that I find wearing, though.

I'm seeing forecasts of 5-7 inches, highs tomorrow in the mid/upper 30s, highs Friday in the 40s.

You'll make it

Prepare for it? We do the same thing today that we did yesterday. Get up, layer, plow, shovel, salt, curse.

The pantry is full. The generator is on standby. When we do get out, we stock up again. Can't let stuff like sawdust, feed and milk run low. And I'd hate to be caught without wine or chocolate.
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and you made a bad decision.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Prepare for it? We do the same thing today that we did yesterday. Get up, layer, plow, shovel, salt, curse.
    This X 10
    Repeat as needed until Spring finally comes.
    Then curse the mud.
    & consider relocating to somewhere that has better weather
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

vineyridge - If it makes you feel any better, I have not been off the yard save for one trip for diesel in over two weeks. I manage a trip to the city about once every three weeks, buy enough food for me and the kitties for that long, and just tough it out. I clean out the yard every couple of days or as needed, do chores while I am doing it and just deal with it. I have not seen a person in in 10 days and only talked to a few on the phone. We have well over 4' of snow here, and drifts ranging from 6' to well over 15'. I have no fence now, havent seen the east fenceline since mid-November, horses stuck inside until spring. Two barn cats have moved into the house, the others are too wild.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Here is one long range weather report, for what those are worth:

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/cattle-...ough-2011.html

Weather affects all of us, especially those caring for animals, here horses.
    The weather makes it easier or harder and what we feed our horses cheaper or harder and more expensive to find and buy.

Lets hope the coming weather will be kind to all of us, our horses and us too.

Wow, I'm sure you're not prepared for snow where you are! I would imagine yours will melt in only a few days. But in the meantime, any sort of wide, flat shovel can be used to clear a path, and if you have some icy/slippery patches you can spread shavings from your stalls (if you have stalls) over the ice. I actually find that the shavings from the wet spots work best
    Do as little driving as possible, if you're not used to snow it's better to just stay home.
    If the footing is solid underneath and the snow is soft & fluffy, hop on bareback & go for a ride! But beware, horses usually love snow & cold and will be pretty full of themselves.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Bluey, the weather forecast was very interesting because the weather these last few years has definitely reminded me of the weather that we had in the 50s and 60s. My mother always said that the Bible was right, and that weather came in seven year cycles. I know we had very droughty weather in the 50s, and my father put in irrigation. Then the weather changed, and the irrigation wasn't needed for 20 or 25 years. All the irrigation equipment had long since been sold, so it was replaced with a "supplemental" system that has been working full time over the last five years. I even remember how much snow we used to get in the 50s and 60s, something that hasn't happened here until now. And, as a consequence, I'm convinced, the tick population exploded; of course aerial spraying with pesticides helped keep the ticks down also. If this and last year's very cold weather and snow do anything to cut back on fleas and ticks, the inconvenience is so worth it.

I have several of my grandfather's farm diaries from 1910 to 1935 or so, and he kept pretty good records of temperature and precipitation. Guess it might behoove me to go back into them and see what they have to offer, since I'm housebound.

When I got up this morning, the snow was unbroken, the sun had just come up, and the light was exquisite; kind of a pinkish golden that filled the air and the snow. Now everything is flat, white, and glaring, with a cloudless blue sky above.

If I had condensed milk, I'd make snow ice cream!
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    When I got up this morning, the snow was unbroken, the sun had just come up, and the light was exquisite; kind of a pinkish golden that filled the air and the snow. Now everything is flat, white, and glaring, with a cloudless blue sky above.

If I had condensed milk, I'd make snow ice cream!
    It sure is pretty to look at, not so pretty when you have to shovel it. I would send you my snow shovels that I brought with me from CT, but they make very handy barn tools for scooping up barn sweepings and manure.

I saw pictures from a friend in Arkansas yesterday, they got 18 inches of snow, it looked more like New England!

Hope you and your animals are all holding up okay.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

If you live in N.E., the first thing you do to prepare is to go out and buy milk and bread. Somone in an earlier post just moved to this area, and posted questioning why we all did this. By now, I think she knows!

Best of luck with your storm. Agree: hunker down and wait it out, then shovel and curse.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

We used to live in Upstate, NY. Dug in in November...dug out in April. But we had a huge 30 stall barn with indoor track and indoor arena!! Moved to NC where we enjoyed life for 16 years. Then moved to OK where we have witnessed in the past 5.5 years - Lucky Us - the worst drought in centuries, the worst rain/floods in centuries and now SNOW and COLD!! Last week we got 20 inches of heavy wet snow, then a few days later we got 4 more inches. This week they predicted 4-6 inches...we got over 24 MORE inches of light powder and strong winds. Yup, drifts over your head. Temp last night was supposed to be minus 4...is was MINUS 28 degrees this morning. Coldest in recorded history. Do you think that WE are just bad luck???
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Eggs Chief...you forgot to mention eggs on the Official Nor'Easter Grocery List.

See, when it snows in New England...the law is that ALL citizens must drive to any location that sells these three staples. Then park badly, clog the aisles and get into fist fights over these items.

It doesn't matter if you're a household of one, allergic to flour, have high cholesterol and are lactose intolerant...you MUST buy many loaves of bread, at least 3 dozen eggs and a few gallons of milk.

Because apparently the only way to survive being snowed in for 12-24 hours is to stand at your cooktop and make endless French toast.

I find it a better time to bake...when not outside clearing. Because every person with a plow or tractor in my neighborhood stops by for something fresh bakes and a cup of coffee or cocoa. I don't know why...they just do.

Crosscreek..with that kind of luck, please don't consider a move to CT.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    We used to live in Upstate, NY. Dug in in November...dug out in April. But we had a huge 30 stall barn with indoor track and indoor arena!! Moved to NC where we enjoyed life for 16 years. Then moved to OK where we have witnessed in the past 5.5 years - Lucky Us - the worst drought in centuries, the worst rain/floods in centuries and now SNOW and COLD!! Last week we got 20 inches of heavy wet snow, then a few days later we got 4 more inches. This week they predicted 4-6 inches...we got over 24 MORE inches of light powder and strong winds. Yup, drifts over your head. Temp last night was supposed to be minus 4...is was MINUS 28 degrees this morning. Coldest in recorded history. Do you think that WE are just bad luck???
    Wellll, I wouldn't want you to move in next to me.....

Yeah, Crosscreek, we've got our hands full as it is! Only joking.

How could I forget the eggs?? We need it for making french toast on the hibachi when the power goes out.

MistyBlue is right about the strange grocery habits of New Englanders, right down to the fist fights in the aisles. We tend to go a little wacky ahead of the snow. She's also right about the coffee and baked goods offerings when neighbors drop in. Or the vet. Or the farrier. Or the guy who plows you out and takes it to go.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    It doesn't matter if you're a household of one, allergic to flour, have high cholesterol and are lactose intolerant...you MUST buy many loaves of bread, at least 3 dozen eggs and a few gallons of milk.

Because apparently the only way to survive being snowed in for 12-24 hours is to stand at your cooktop and make endless French toast.

I find it a better time to bake...when not outside clearing.
    I keep a couple of the Tastefully Simple beer bread mixes in the pantry. I don't even have to wait for it to rise. Open the mix, pour in a can of beer (we always have plenty of that stocked up) and an hour later...viola' instant bread!

Then we just sit around, drink wine and eat bread until the butter runs out
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and you made a bad decision.

I am hoping to get out over the weekend. Despite the more moderate temps, that whitecrap is still blowing around and piling in the lane. Spent some time contemplating the tenfer sale at one of the grocery stores last night, looking at things I can stock up on - winter ain't over here by a long shot.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles