The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Hiho_alter Guest

Default WWYD? – Contact Stopped/Problems

Thanks everyone, the situation has been resolved.

Mare will be on her way to a great home Saturday!
    Last edited by Hiho_alter; Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:17 AM.

Sorry, the only advice i have is
    'what is taking you so long to drive
    there?' Grab a friend and if you leave at
    5am, you are there by 9:30 and home
    middle of the afternoon. I don't
    see the problem.

Call the farm where the mare was, and ask! Quicker than driving out there, in any case.

The logistics of an inter-state move are overwhelming, most likely she just hasn't had time to get back to you.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Sorry, you need to get in the car and go if you want to persue this. more sooner then later.

There are a hundred reasons those calls have not been returned...including owner sold/gave that mare away or she is otherwise no longer available (if she needed the money badly, she may not have shared that with you). Or owner has changed phone companies and has a new number and e mail addy. It is easy to lose your directory and contact lists when you lose or break a phone and there is nothing like a dead computer to set you back a bit. Or maybe she has had these things shut off a a result of financial difficulties.

Or something bad has happened in which case you NEED to get up there and find out to insure Mare's future well being.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by dotneko View Post
    see the problem.
    I know that I am crabby today, but I think these types of responses...which I've seen numerous times...are quite silly. Does it ever occur to people that the OP may have children/job/school/no car, etc.? I know in my life there is no "just hop in your car" for a 9+ hour roundtrip. Crabby moment over...

Ok, I misread that as farm 4.5 hours away is where the mare currently is and not where she was before the owner moved out of state and may or may not still be there today. If mare is not still there, that farm owner is probably clueless where she went or where owner is if the bill was paid up when they left. It would be pointless to waste the time doing that.

Title of the thread is a bit misleading as this is not a free lease problem between owner and a leassor. More of a "how do I get into contact with....".

All you can do is keep leaving messages every week or so. She very well may have made other arrangements and just has not had the time. Or something along the lines of my previous response may be true.

If it comes down to it, perhaps you could post the city/state where the farm is, and you might find there is a COTHer in the area who is willing to (politely!) stop by.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Contact stopped/problems is a MUCH better title.

Ditto the general geographic location hint. Possibly a COTHer can do some checking for you. Once you find out where owner is, you can go from there.

Thinking that, if she did move out of state, she did change cell phone # and provider, IP too. May have lost your contact info and is not getting the e mails and phone calls.

Hiho_alter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dotneko View Post
    see the problem.
    I'm a full-time college student with a part-time job, so while theoretically I could do this, it would take some time to rearrange my days where I could find one free. I have family that is about 2 hours away, but I doubt they would be interested in driving by.

Plus, if I or someone else does just show up, that might not fly very well if Owner does end up being there or someone else sees us walking around looking for Mare.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    Call the farm where the mare was, and ask! Quicker than driving out there, in any case.
    The problem is it's a pasture board/self care situation. The farm itself used to be a racing facility, and now I believe Owner just rents stalls from the person who lives at the farm. No official name or phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Title of the thread is a bit misleading as this is not a free lease problem between owner and a leassor. More of a "how do I get into contact with....".
    I changed the topic title, hopefully no more confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    If it comes down to it, perhaps you could post the city/state where the farm is, and you might find there is a COTHer in the area who is willing to (politely!) stop by.
    Very true. I just worry that I'm neing/acting paranoid, but I can't help but have this bad feeling. So far Owner has been very prompt with calling me back when I have possible homes to tell her about, so this is really just not like her.

Has owner actually moved to the best of your knowledge? Can you give a general idea where??

Do you have an address for where owner used to live/may still be living?? You could send a snail mail card or something asking her to update you. It will forward to the new address IF she left one and she has moved and lost the contact info/is not getting the e mails and calls.

If I read this right, you last heard from her just a few weeks ago????? If so, it is a little early to hit the panic button when trying to reach somebody involved in an interstate move,possibly moving livestock as well.

Post your location and see if a COTHer is nearby to check.

Call local (to the mare) vets and see if they know the owner, and if she picked up vet records or asked to have them forwarded to another vet in another town. Call that vet and ask if they will call owner and relay message.

Call post office where mare was, and see if they have a forwarding address. Then call ifo in that area and see if they have a new ph #.

I'm wondering if Owner has moved and doesn't have phone/internet service? The mare may be just fine, but owner is having unrelated relocation problems...
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by Roisin View Post
    I know that I am crabby today, but I think these types of responses...which I've seen numerous times...are quite silly. Does it ever occur to people that the OP may have children/job/school/no car, etc.? I know in my life there is no "just hop in your car" for a 9+ hour roundtrip. Crabby moment over...
    Well, my crabby moment has nothing to do with the OP...it has to do with people suggesting that someone essentially goes and hunts down this horse THAT DOES NOT BELONG TO THE OP!

I would be horrified if I were the owner of this horse and someone showed up on my doorstep and said "Hi, I'm from COTH and so-and-so posted that her former horse has gone missing (maybe!) and I need to see proof that the horse is alive and well!" I would promptly slam the door in that person's face! Similarly, I would be quite upset if my vet called me and told me that someone was asking for my horse's vet records/my phone number. BTW, legally, that is not information that a vet should be giving out.

This poor woman is making an inter-state move. It sounds like she's done well by this horse so far so I have no idea why there needs to be such panic associated with the situation. (And yes, it is panicky to say "OMG GET IN YOUR CARZ RIGHTZ NOW AND DRIVE~!!!") She is probably either just too busy to call back, or perhaps she has no phone/internet. (I'm sure she still has a cell phone, perhaps, but whatever.) She's undoubtedly busy, perhaps the horse is already placed, and it's just not in her timeline to make a phone call right now. Yes, it takes two seconds. But maybe she's flustered and packing and the horse is the last thing she's thinking about right now, as the horse is undoubtedly still safe and sound in the pasture boarding situation.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Similarly, I would be quite upset if my vet called me and told me that someone was asking for my horse's vet records/my phone number. BTW, legally, that is not information that a vet should be giving out.
    I believe you are referring to a suggestion I made to call the vet and see if the owner picked up/forwarded vet records. I DID NOT suggest that the owner get any personal info released, but said that if they had, see if the VET would call mare owner and relay a message. No personal info would be given out by the vet to the OP.

If you know where the farm is, why not just find the number and call there?

"Hi, my name is So-and-so, I was trying to help Suzy Trainer place X mare that was at your place on pasture board. I've found a great situation for the horse but am having some truble getting ahold of Suzy. Is X mare still there, so I know whether or not to keep trying to contact her? Thank you very much for your time."

Might work.

OP, it's no longer your horse...let it go. You have done all you can- just because you were asked for help, does not mean that you had sole responsibility of placing the horse- the current owner may have been able to place the horse with someone she herself knows.Let it go, and quit worrying about it...If you do hear from the current owner, great- you have all ready passed on the info for the person you would love to see the horse end up wiht.There really is nothing more you can do but move on.

Glad to know your mare is safe!!! Must be quite the relief!

I HATE when the OP erases the first post. I don't know what happened, but why do people do this? Very Frustrating, not everyone is on here 24/7...