The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry working student

closed
    Last edited by cowgurl1985; Feb. 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM.

Sorry for you horrid luck! I went through something similar to that when I was younger. Then I went to an amazing program and I LOVED IT! Hope you find something more acceptable! I have recommendations if you would like
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

I'm sorry you're having such a bad experience. Unfortunately, it seems pretty par for the course in the horse industry. I moved to Europe for a working student position back in August. I fled back to the US within a month. 20 hour days, no days off, and none of the promised lessons or hours in the saddle. When I told the trainer that I was leaving he just shrugged and said he could have a replacement there within the week. Sad but true.

I'm sure there are good programs out there, but I've given up on looking for them.

Question

Having never been a working student, can you get a contract? It could always be broken, but at least you would make them out things in wwriting.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by cowgurl1985 View Post
    Its sad that I didnt even give X a name and people seem to know who I am talking about. Shame Shame!
    Just curious..what state was this in?
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

I sent you a PM

Ha ha ha ha. Been there done that for the same person.

Trust me in 1992 it was much much worse. I have heard and seen in person that person X has camed down.... A LOT.

Was more fun that we had 4 horses going into that years selection trials, and none sound after. Hmmmmmmmm......

Trust me... your experiences will help you going forward.

~Em
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Its sad that I didnt even give X a name and people seem to know who I am talking about. Shame Shame!
    Was there some posts deleted after you wrote this cause the first 4 replies didn't seem to me that they knew who you were talking about?? just curious.

WNV,

She's gotten a whole bunch of PM's, like the one from me, questioning if it was the same person X as we have had experiences with. (She confirmed the identity to me in a PM)

Nothing new for Person X. A bad rep follows for a LONG time and people who are worked and yelled at 14 hours a day don't forget quickly.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

oh ok that makes sense now! thanks!!

i hate to say this but i think i know from just reading this. pm me op to confirm.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Been there done that got the tshirt and took her ass to court and won! (Definately not whoever OP is talking about) Showed up and was shown a plot of swamp. Yeah there wasn't even a house. Shown the barn and it was a soggy run down dump. Horses standing in ankle deep mud with bones and ribs sticking out everywhere. There was even a dead dog in one of the pens with a stallion. His pen by the way was 3 7ft long panels in a triangle with no water and no food. Thankfully I hadn't brought my own horse with me so I was free to get out of there. Yes I contacted the authorities and yes I testified against her in the abuse charges. I've seen worse since that time but oh I had nightmares for years about those poor horses.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Um.... wow.

Here's what I wonder- how did you get tricked into this situation? Did you only do a phone interview? Did you not see the place first, including living accommodations? Have you seen this person in action at events and did you like their style then? Did you follow their successes before applying? Were there warning signs you ignored during the interview process?

(I feel like I might have interviewed for this person, and realized it was a Bad Idea to work there.)

Man I hate threads like these.
    Everyone works in a bad situation and learns what they can handle and what they can't from it. No job is so bad that you don't learn at least something about yourself from it, even if it's not to get near (horses, eventing, that person, that farm, that state) again. Boy I sure have.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by jumpsnake View Post
    Um.... wow.

Here's what I wonder- how did you get tricked into this situation? Did you only do a phone interview? Did you not see the place first, including living accommodations? Have you seen this person in action at events and did you like their style then? Did you follow their successes before applying? Were there warning signs you ignored during the interview process?

(I feel like I might have interviewed for this person, and realized it was a Bad Idea to work there.)
    Lots of these working student positions are such a trap for these kids. They are excited to get to work with a big name trainer, get promised all kinds of things and many times get taken advantage of. Sad but true. Been going on for a long time. Many of these hires take place over the phone, again the young person is SO happy to get the job. There are good barns that really help young and up and coming riders, but you can get duped easy.

Good luck.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Hmmm I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about too. I'm sorry you went through that situation - at least you're on the other side now!

If you dont mind me asking, who did you work for? And may i also suggest Phyllis Dawson if you are still looking for another working student job. She has an excellent working student program. I was there myself for 6 months, and would of stayed longer if i was financially able to haha.

I recently left for a working student position for well lets not name names so well will just call this person X. I drive all the way there to get there and my living conditions were more than unacceptable, wet, moldy, smelly horrible! Cold showers. I worked 14 hour days and got screamed at and told how stupid I was for those 14 hour days. And anytime I asked a questions I would get screamed at for asking questions. I finally was over it and left. We also had agreed upon terms and those terms werent being honored as they were supposed to be.
    I just dont understand how someone who can call themselves a professional treat their students live absolute dog crap and expect them to perform well under such horrid conditions. I am human and dont mind the hard work and am there to learn but I will never stand for someone treating me like I am not worthy of living on this planet. Absolutely disgusted!!
    If anything I learned more about myself throught this situation and what is not acceptable treatment for anyone it doesn't matter who you are.
    I hope and pray that no one else is ever put into this situation. There is never a reason to reduce a persons self confidence to nothing.

From looking through her (origional poster) recent posts it seems she was down in Aiken...but who she was with ...it could be a couple people but based on a couple of other peoples posts and knowing the general population as I do I think I know who it is too.
    Doesn't really surprise me ...though as retread said you can take something away from all of these experiences good and bad...
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Everyone works in a bad situation and learns what they can handle and what they can't from it. No job is so bad that you don't learn at least something about yourself from it, even if it's not to get near (horses, eventing, that person, that farm, that state) again. Boy I sure have.
    Guess this is a true statement --- but there are lessons that do not need to be learned.

OTOH - to the OP ....no one can destroy your self-confidence without your cooperation - make you miserable sure....

Don't give up OP if this is something you want to do. A friend went through a few different situations until she found one she liked, and you will find someone great to apprentice under!

If you don't mind could you PM with the name?