The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yep, shoot it. If I knew of a dog chasing my horses I wouldn't wait for me to catch it chasing them again, he'd be gone. Either to bad doggy heaven or to a county pound miles away.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

long ago when neighbors' rottie was chasing my horses I explained to dog owner that the horses were insured and if they were injured/killed due to dog then insurance company would pay me and sue HIM --- dog got gone
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I had a problem with my neighbor's Norwegian Elkhounds. Don't trust the dog's owner to keep your horses and small animals safe. Hot wire in the form of electric tape is the answer. Just make sure you're there for that satisfying moment when the dogs try to get through it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Hotwire. Really hot. In Kentucky you can shoot a dog harassing your livestock. But, then, you will probably be paid back in spades by the neighbor. Not my recommendation.
    I was going to recommed jokingly that she shot him - totally not surprised that's legal here in KY. My neighbor shot one of his own dogs for terrorizing their own goats. It's different here. They have told me to do whatever I feel is right if their dogs are ever out of line of my property. How about just keep them OFF my property? I have a dog, and she is in a fenced portion of our yard (when outside alone). I would never let her just run free! But everyone does that around here...

A few strands of hotwire. Remember the dog has to be touching the ground and the wire at the same time in order to get shocked so space the wires accordingly. Lower to the ground is probably best.

Also make sure the whole system is VERY WELL GROUNDED or it's pretty much worthless. A good ground system is the only way to ensure a good shock.

I also second the donkey or mule idea. They are great protectors. A mule will even take on a mountain lion. Mules/donkeys also eat half as much as horses...

I also third the gun idea...
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts. ~Harold Nicolson

Ugh, what a difficult situation! I'll freely admit that I am just as much a dog lover as I am a horse lover BUT after a pack of dogs chased my gelding around a paddock I realized how dangerous they can be. That gelding turned into one of those dog chasing types that others have recommended and I had to stop taking him out on the hunts because of it.

I'd second the hot wire option-it will likely get the point across to the pooch without killing it. And I think SGray's suggestion of telling the owner that your insurance will come after him personally if anything happens to your animals because of his dog. I think if you nicely tell the guy this and make it sound like you are trying to watch out for him that he'd probably be much more likely to care. Even if you don't have insurance, this little white lie will go a long way! Its amazing how responsible some people can get when given a good reason!

I have to disagree with the shooting method unless you've tried everything else first. It may be legal by the letter of the law to shoot a dog harassing your livestock, but just because its legal doesn't mean you'll be protected. I'd be willing to bet your neighbor would become a much bigger danger to your animals than the dog was!

Donkey/Mule/Horse that is not dog friendly. I had a dog that would mosey around the horses' legs - no matter how much I shrieked/shocked/fussed - unless he got rolled by a mini donk. NOW he listens. : )

If you're near central NC you can borrow Donk. He'll take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
    SSS method - shoot, shovel and shut up! COTH approved!
    Yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by ladybugred View Post
    I'm sorry, but I only see two options, SUPER HOT hot wire on pup's side of the fence, or shooting the dog.

Best of luck

LBR
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    Put up a strand or two of very hot wire and hang some strips of bacon on it. Get the neighbors to take the dog out and let it get good and zapped off the fence a couple of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHorselover View Post
    I was going to recommed jokingly that she shot him - totally not surprised that's legal here in KY. My neighbor shot one of his own dogs for terrorizing their own goats. It's different here. They have told me to do whatever I feel is right if their dogs are ever out of line of my property. How about just keep them OFF my property? I have a dog, and she is in a fenced portion of our yard (when outside alone). I would never let her just run free! But everyone does that around here...
    I live in Central Alberta and we do not have any trouble with roaming dogs because they WILL be shot. I'm sorry if that offends some people, but the reality is everyone has had animals injured or killed by the occasional stupid dog, and if you cannot keep your dog at home, it will not live long. My neighbour had a dog that killed a few of her chickens, then a cat, then a couple of her pigs. It was absolutely wrong of her not to put the dog down after the chickens, she eventually came to understand that the dog would not change. Sad but true.

I would try the hot wire, but a lot of dogs just like to chase, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil's Girl View Post
    And about 3 years of a variety of neighbors trying to cause harm/damage to my horses, w/ the police and animal control never lifting a finger.
    In many areas it is within a property owner's rights to shoot a dog that harasses their livestock. I'm in the SSS club.....better a neighbors dead dog than one of your horses being injured.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by deckchick View Post
    My neighbour had a dog that killed a few of her chickens, then a cat, then a couple of her pigs. It was absolutely wrong of her not to put the dog down after the chickens, she eventually came to understand that the dog would not change.
    Of course it's not going to change if it keeps getting rewarded for it (through the fun of the chase itself and then a kill).

I would try the hot wire
    Yep. And I like I said, set it up so that the dog is brought to the bacon-baited fence and allowed to get a massive zap or three (although it could well learn after the first one). Preferably on a wet day. Don't just wait for the dog to get loose again and then maybe get zapped when it's already in full-on prey drive and less likely to be impressed by it.

Yeah, the safety of my animals comes first, and it's why I have a rifle, but I'd rather not kill a dog if there's an alternative. I think the horses would be safer if an effort was made to train the dog to the fence rather than just waiting for the dog to get loose again and start chasing them and then shooting it. It's probably not feasible to monitor the horses 24/7 and keep watch for the dog, and while some idiot neighbors who won't contain a dog but are cool with its getting shot probably aren't all that likely to seek retaliation, there are plenty who would, and they can do a hell of a lot more damage to one's property, livestock and quality of life.

Of course it's not going to change if it keeps getting rewarded for it (through the fun of the chase itself and then a kill).
    It was reprimanded and tied up after every incident. She tried everything to break the dog of that habit, but some dogs just cannot be retrained of this bad habit.

Yep. And I like I said, set it up so that the dog is brought to the bacon-baited fence and allowed to get a massive zap or three (although it could well learn after the first one). Preferably on a wet day. Don't just wait for the dog to get loose again and then maybe get zapped when it's already in full-on prey drive and less likely to be impressed by it.

Yeah, the safety of my animals comes first, and it's why I have a rifle, but I'd rather not kill a dog if there's an alternative. I think the horses would be safer if an effort was made to train the dog to the fence rather than just waiting for the dog to get loose again and start chasing them and then shooting it. It's probably not feasible to monitor the horses 24/7 and keep watch for the dog, and while some idiot neighbors who won't contain a dog but are cool with its getting shot probably aren't all that likely to seek retaliation, there are plenty who would, and they can do a hell of a lot more damage to one's property, livestock and quality of life.
    Nobody wants to shoot any animal, sometimes there is just no choice.
    Last edited by deckchick; Feb. 10, 2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: woohoo! 100 posts! I'm not a greenie anymore! Is it ironic that I'm a "working hunter?"

Quote Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
    SSS method - shoot, shovel and shut up! COTH approved!
    This
    If a dog is like this, you can't do a damned thing to stop it.
    It's perfectly legal in our county to do this if they are endangering livestock.
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Yep, shoot it. If I knew of a dog chasing my horses I wouldn't wait for me to catch it chasing them again, he'd be gone. Either to bad doggy heaven or to a county pound miles away.
    If I could get a clear shot, me too. However, I grew up in the West, on a ranch. We didn't put up with that sort of stuff.

I wouldn't be coughing up money to "dog proof" my pastures against a neighbor's dog. Not my responsibility. If the neighbor doesn't care about letting a dangerous dog roam free, I seriously doubt they'd take any responsibility to compensate a livestock owner for any damage the dog did.

Likewise SSS.

The dogs from a neighbor of a friend of mine climbed their 4'no climb fencing and killed their cat. Months later, it did the same thing and mauled their little dog. $1200 in vet's bills later they went and complained to the neighbor. Neighbor, tearfully, paid the $1200 and said it wouldn't happen again. 2 months later, dogs climbed fence again and mauled little dog again, dog had to be put down. Neighbors called the police, police said because they hadn't documented it the 1st or 2nd time, the time that they called was treated as the 1st time for them.

Get someone to shoot it. It's dangerous.What happens when it's a kid, an old person or some other animal it goes after. You now have a responsibility to protect your livestock and by association are responsible if it hurts someone else and you did nothing.

We have 2 donks to protect the cow/calves but have used the SSS method. I like to watch a good donkey stalk. They are crafty. Dr. Phil rolled a little dog up today, she let that dog get in her face barking at her until splat squeal stomp mush, no more barking dog.
    I'm so busy.....I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.

Alright put your big girl panties on and deal with it!

The dog may be young and silly today, but if the owners don't stop his running loose and chasing livestock, he's going to eventually be older and serious. So many people seem to think of their dogs as addled toddlers, as if the fact that they are animals and therefore to some extent 'innocent' means there can be no fault attached to their effect on others. Bingo just wanted to play! Duke likes to wrestle! Ally doesn't know her own strength! Lalalalala, what could I do about it? Crazy. Sorry to OP for having this happen.