The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A gypsy caravan somewhere in Eastern Europe

Default How to keep aggressive dog OUT of pastures???

I'm sure this has happened to a lot of people, but this is unfortunately just the last unpleasant incident to happen to my farm this year -

I'm out of town for 2 mos - my mom just called to say that the neighbor's dog, who is usually chained up but sometimes runs loose, climbed up our 5'' no climb wire and board fence, and had a frienzied run at the horses for about half an hour - 2 small ponies and a 29 yo with a massive heart condition, who isn't even supposed to trot. The dog loved it and clearly will do it again if given the chance.

The owners said it was a mistake that he was out, and they'll keep him chained, but he's out lots, and has run down to our farm before, and they were not very worried about the whole thing. How on EARTH do I keep him out? The animal control in my area has been useless and less than helpful in every other situation I've dealt w/ them, and I don't want to antagonize neighbors that share a large boundary w/ my pasture.

I also have a small goat that lives in a pen by the house - I'm TERRIFIED about this situation w. her. This isn't a vicious or bad dog - he's young, goofy and kept chained all day on the other side of the fence, so when he's loose he goes nuts. But if he gets them running, who knows what he'll do.

Can I put up hotwire in some way that will keep him out, when he is able to climb up the fence? Not even getting into the fact that I can't afford it?

This comes a month after someone purposely bulldozed 100 ft of my stout, 5'' mesh wire and white pine fence, and my horses were running down the hwy all night.

And about 3 years of a variety of neighbors trying to cause harm/damage to my horses, w/ the police and animal control never lifting a finger.

I plan to move this summer, and wish I could sue someone for the fact that I am unable to use my property.

But UNTIL THEN, does anyone have any tips on now to keep this dog out? A strand of hotwire on the very top of the fence? Anything?

Thanks very much for any input, and for listening to my rant, I am just sick right now, and not home to be able to even help!

I would go with the hotwire. I really feel for you, a dog in chasing horses is never good. Just FYI, I think you have every reason to worry about the goat. I do not want to alarm you, but we had a small Nubian goat almost chased to death by a neighbors dog. We found him under the horse trailer and it was touch and go. He pulled through, but he was chased until he could not go anymore and we were only gone for an hour.

Maybe a hotwire top and bottom? It's tough when it's not your dog, because you can't try any training on the dog.

Good luck.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I would put hot wire on stand off insulators on the side of the fence the dog is going to climb. So as he climbs the fence he will run into the hot wire. That should stop him in his tracks, and cure him of fence climbing. The stand off insulators are about 6 inches long and pretty cheap. You can use pretty lightweight wire. It might also keep people off your fence as well.

Default agressive dog

I would notify then in writing what the consequences will be if any of your animals are injured or suffer death as a result of the harassment by their dog. Damages. Civil lawsuit. I'd also get video if it happens and you are there. And call the police while it is happening. And file a report. Sounds radical? I just won't put up with crap like that.

Hotwire. Really hot. In Kentucky you can shoot a dog harassing your livestock. But, then, you will probably be paid back in spades by the neighbor. Not my recommendation.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Borrow a friend's horse that "takes care of dogs" - I'd loan you FP but you're a bit far - much cheaper than hot wire (unless the dog owners want to supply the materials & you'll do the install for free)

SSS method - shoot, shovel and shut up! COTH approved!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

alto, I have one of those, too. My neighbor's dogs QUICKLY learned to stay the f*** out of my horse pastures. He hates anything in his field, I've even seen him chase wild turkeys out of it!

OP, I'd do hotwire, too. And you could also try a paintball gun... do a search but it's been discussed here a lot in regards to errant dogs.

1) 'Borrow' a dog chaser. Usually only takes one time of being chased down, grabbed, and thrown sky high before doggie decides horses aren't much fun.

2)Paint ball gun. This only works if you are home alot.

3) You can try hot wire, but the dog probably will get around/through/over it.

4) Shoot it. Better the dog dies than your horse. Check your local laws first, but in most states, a dog harrassing livestock can be shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I'm sorry, but I only see two options, SUPER HOT hot wire on pup's side of the fence, or shooting the dog.

Best of luck

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

A guardian donkey JACK!! They WILL get a strange dog. Also heard of llamas working well, but I never had one of those. Our mini donkey Jack stalked the neighbors Dalmations who were chasing our "soon to foal" mares back in NC. He never made a peep until he was between the dogs and the fence where they dug under diamond mesh. He tore those dogs up so badly they never came back...we didn't even need to fill the hole in!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
    Being someone who's got a horse with a blind eye from coyotes, and has dealt with a neighbor with not one, not two, but THREE a hole dogs.
    Shoot the dog and don't feel bad about it.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Shoot it and don't tell the neighbors. If they can't keep the dog contained, and it harasses your animals, then you have every right to shoot it. Heck, in FL, you can shoot a human who's robbing you or injuring your animals!

I'm about to have to do the same thing, only to a small dog belonging to my BIL who LOVES to harass the heck out of my chickens. He goes through the mes fence, or under it if he can squeeze, and will chase anything that will run. BIL won't keep the darned dog off my property, and if I find it over here one more time, it's going to be the end of the dog.

I feel for you though. I have the neighbors from hell. Unfortunately they are also family. We are trying to move.

Put up a strand or two of very hot wire and hang some strips of bacon on it. Get the neighbors to take the dog out and let it get good and zapped off the fence a couple of times.

Go with the hot wire. As you said,, he's a young , full of energy dog, not a killer. The donkey suggestionn isn't a bad idea, either. University of RI has several that live with their sheep herd as coyote prevention. It works. I'd wire a few cans to hang off of the hot wire to give an extra jolt. Maybe a low wire and a top wire with a few cans would do the trick. My goats ran the first few times our dogs were introduced. It was great fun for the dogs until they were rolled over a few times by the goats and almost splattered by the horse. Now they go their separate ways.

Ooooohhhhh yeah. When the dog hits the top, offset wire, with it's paws still on the metal mesh fence, you will be able to hear the howls from miles away .
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

I agree with the hot wire. Most dogs will not try to climb the fences if they get shocked.
    If it progresses after that send a legal letter informing the neighbor to confine the dog or face legal action. Then if it still continues shoot the dog. Once they get the taste of chasing animals they will not stop. The natural prey instinct will take over. The next thing will be attacking the animals. Once he draws blood there will be no stopping him.
    I know it costs money to electrify the fence but it is better than vet bills to stitch up your horses or worse, to bury your animals.
    If it comes to shooting the dog make sure he doesn't crawl home. Drop him in the pasture and call the police and Animal Control.
    I feel so bad for you but I had one of my own dogs do this. I found a gash on my Arabian's neck right by his jugular vein. I took the dog to the pound and paid to have him put down. My neighbor told me as soon as I left the farm the dog headed out to chase the horses. There was no other way that gash on my horse's could get there.
    If it is the horses today who will be next?
    I refused to keep a dog that would attack horses.
    Wishing you a good outcome.
    sadlmakr

I refused to keep a dog that would attack horses.
    right because it's completely impossible to train/confine YOUR OWN dog. Disgusting that you would just kill your own dog like that without making any effort.

Now, a neighbor's dog- you can't train or confine someone else's dog, so shooting the dog may indeed be your best option. The problem with that option is so often the irresponsible dog owner just goes and gets another dog and the cycle repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil's Girl View Post

But UNTIL THEN, does anyone have any tips on now to keep this dog out? A strand of hotwire on the very top of the fence? Anything?

Thanks very much for any input, and for listening to my rant, I am just sick right now, and not home to be able to even help!
    Sounds strange, but it WILL work. Borrow (or adopt) a mule. They are VERY protective of their property and will go after strange dogs with total ferocity.

However, be aware -- if they catch them -- they will kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
    ^THIS^