The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Full-figured riders...

Ahem...with complete tolerance and understanding, here's the question: How do full-figured riders deal with their appearance as they trot by a svelte teenage in warm-up? Also...benefits and pitfalls - what are they?
    fyi: I'm a skinny one.
    eventwarrior

"Tolerance," lol. That's a word usually used by people who are biased but attempting to look unbiased.

So scold me; so much to deal with in eventing anyway.
    eventwarrior

They know that RIDING ABILITY trumps skinny thighs and petty observations any day of the week.

You flatter yourself
    I can't imagine that anyone, of any shape, is worrying about their physique, or yours, during dressage warm-up.

What do you mean "How do we deal with it?"?
    What is there to "deal with"?

I have far more urgent things to deal with in warm up.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

why would you even ask this question - makes me wonder - and by the way I am full figured and the last thing I worry about when I am riding my 4 yr old is how skinny the other riders are.

I might notice and admire skinny, but in general in a warm-up all I care about is keeping my horse and the other horses from having collisions, and the general warm-up routine going.

This OP stinks of Troll.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Who cares?

When I was 18, I was skinny and couldn't ride for hockeypucks. I'm fuller-figured now, but I'm also stronger, have more endurance, have learned how to concentrate, and know a ton more about every aspect of riding and horsemanship.

When I look at teens in the warmup--skinny or no--it's only to make sure they're not going to run me down.

OP
    As a full figured 52 yr old who has ridden since the age of 9, even when I wasn't "full figured"...

Of course we drop our heads in shame when we see you svelt young riders go by in warm up. We immediately think much less of ourselves and know immediately that we are totally inadequate and total failures.

Just ask Becky Holder. I am sure she felt exactly the same way at the WEG.

I just know I have to kick harder to make time since my fat ass is weighing my horse down.

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    I just know I have to kick harder to make time since my fat ass is weighing my horse down.

Really?
    ROFL!

I burst out laughing at this.

Anywho, I'm overweight, not obese. But the fat doesn't hold me back none I kick a lot of skinny girls butts. I wonder how they tolerate getting beat by a fat chick?

yeah um.. as a rider that has been "full figured" all of her life, really, it doesn't bother me that other riders are "thin" especially because I was (I don't show any more) a better rider then many of them

As a working student, I rode 6+ horses a day, I was RIDING FIT even if I carried some extra pounds, I could ride without stirrups all day, and hold my position better then the " svelte teenage".

So yeah, nothing really to "deal with".

Are you really an eventer? Sure you aren't from the EQ world? (and FYI, I even placed well in medal classes, where "svelte teenage" is preferred).

Actually, I take that all back. I did "deal with it". By working harder, riding more, and proving myself. It is the same pleasure one derives from beating 60K horses with an off track reject.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post

Actually, I take that all back. I did "deal with it". By working harder, riding more, and proving myself. It is the same pleasure one derives from beating 60K horses with an off track reject.
    I don't know you, but I love you.

and with complete tolerance and understanding, how do you deal with your thinness when my size 12/14 butt is holding the blue ribbon and yours is not?

what a strange question- and honey- no one is looking at you in warm up.
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Quote Originally Posted by rideonbestrong View Post
    Ahem...with complete tolerance and understanding, here's the question: How do full-figured riders deal with their appearance as they trot by a svelte teenage in warm-up? Also...benefits and pitfalls - what are they?
    Ahem....with complete tolerance and understanding, what a stupid question. I think you may be a "rider," but it sounds like you've yet to develop or earn a sense of "horsemanship," either in, or out of the saddle. (I just have to laugh, not knowing if this question was posted seriously, or not? )

If you're really serious, my advice? Go muck more, it will put some muscle on those skinny bones, and perhaps some sense in that vapid head to ask a question in the future more worthy of a serious answer.
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Quote Originally Posted by rideonbestrong View Post
    You're not an eventer.

As a thin rider I must point out that thin does not equal fit, healthy, or capable. Thin can mean weak and flimsy and no extra padding when you hit the dirt! I'm thin, but I'd never want to be a rail. It looks unhealthy, and in certain circumstances it is, and it's less protection when you fall. I'd rather gain 10 or 15 pounds and stay in shape then get any thinner or lose muscle tone.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

Wait, you were in the warm up? I was a bit too busy actually riding my horse to even notice you were there. Unless, of course, you're one of those teens that I have to watch out for because they're too busy being thin and pretty to actually do any riding.

Unless the other horse is in danger of getting double barrelled by my mare, I really don't notice anyone in warm up. At all. So it's easy to tolerate that which does not exist. And sweetie, I think you're amongst those that does not exist.

Which means I'm talking to myself again. Time to lay off the caffeine.
    http://thoughtfulequestrian.blogspot.com - My Ventures Into Eventing

1 members found this post helpful.

You've got to be kidding... really????
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant