The Chronicle of the Horse

CoconutHorse Guest

Default Selling vs. giving away - what to do?

After trying very hard to make things work with my horse, I have realized that things are just not working out. I am overhorsed (we are both green) and both of us stopped having fun a long time ago. I am stressed out about it 24/7 and I don’t think my horse is much happier.

I would really like to find my horse a home with a more experienced person who would enjoy her. Sadly, my financial situation changed drastically a couple weeks ago, and I don’t think I can’t afford to hang onto her until the perfect situation arises. I also can’t afford to send her to a trainer to get her into sale shape so I can advertise her for what she is worth. Trainer is necessary because I lack ability to bring her back to where she was when I first bought her, as she has been sitting for 2 months. The trainer would also be necessary because I myself am terrified to ride (not because of anything that happened with my horse) but that’s a whole other story!

Would I be dumb for putting the word out locally that I would be willing to give my horse away to the right person? I care way more about finding her a good home relatively quickly than I do about money. Besides, I know I can’t hold onto her for months and months if a sale ad fails to get any bites or if a prospective buyer doesn't seem suitable.

I've been obsessing over this so much that I can't think clearly about it anymore. I am ashamed and embarrassed to have gotten into this situation. Can anyone offer any advice as to what to do?

Sorry to hear about your situation. Would you lease the horse? even a half lease or free lease? That way someone can ride the horse and work with him, without the commitment of owning a horse. Just a suggestion!

First of all, you should NOT be ashamed or embarrassed. You are being realistic. Big difference. I have a difficult time with giving horses away as I'm very nervous about said horse falling into bad hands. However, perhaps you could let some reputable trainers know and with luck, they'll be able to help place her? Good luck and take care.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Yes, spread the word with some nicely set up pics of her, full disclosure of who the horse is on any given day, and see what happens.

You may find a trainer who is willing to take her and fit her for sale. fine, have at it.

I wouldn't recommend a lease. Let 'er go.

CoconutHorse Guest

Thanks for the ideas! I did think of a lease, but unfortunately with my new (slightly dire ) financial situation, I'm not sure it would make any sense since I'd still be paying for her. She's also a bit green, and I don't know how appealing that would be to people.

Before my income got slashed, my plan was to save up a bit, send her to a trainer for a month or two for a little finishing, and then sell her (possibly by enlisting the trainer's help). Now that my financial situation has changed, I won't be able to do any of that.

You might also want to contact all of the reputable trainers in your area and tell them exactly what you've told us here. One of them may be interested in taking her as a resale project.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

CoconutHorse Guest

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post

You may find a trainer who is willing to take her and fit her for sale. fine, have at it.

I wouldn't recommend a lease. Let 'er go.
    Unfortunately, I really don't know any trainers and I board at a private barn with no instructors coming in. I know *of* some trainers, but feel silly calling them up and saying "Hey, you don't know me, but do you want my horse?" I do like this idea very much, though, especially because I think my horse might make a great kids or lesson horse. She is quiet and seems to like children a lot. Would they think I was a complete weirdo if I just called them out of the blue?

I don't see how you can sell her.
    You don't have her ready to sell or can ride her, it will be hard to show her to someone to sell.

Ask around, some good trainer may want her for resale, maybe even give you some if there is after boarding and training, or at least they will get her ready to sell and sold for you.

Some horses work, some don't, it is a tricky situation to figure what to do, when you get all wrapped up on a horse like you seen to have done.

Once at a trainer, with a second set of eyes there, you may have a more clear head about all of this.

Posted at the same time, but no, don't be ashamed to ask, all they can say is "no, thanks, no room at the inn."

(Having trouble with my board, sorry.)
    Last edited by Bluey; Feb. 8, 2011 at 05:12 PM.

Many years ago I had a horse that I got off the track that didn't work out for me. He had some physical limitations that would restrict him to light riding.

I printed up flyers about him and gave them to everyone I came into contact with -- trainers, vets, farrier, tack store, etc.

I got a fair number of people interested in him and asked for references from their trainer, vet, etc. He went to what I believe was a good home.

Don't be afraid to reach out to the community to find him a home even if you don't know the people. If you have the luxury of "vetting" them to make sure they are a good match for your horse, so much the better.

Good luck!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

CoconutHorse Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I don't see how you can sell her.
    You don't have her ready to sell or can ride her, it will be hard to show her to someone to sell.
    This is exactly the (rather embarrassing) thought that has been looming in my mind. More than anything, I don't want people to think I'm afraid of her because she's nuts and pass her up. She's not the one that's nuts, I am.

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutHorse View Post
    Unfortunately, I really don't know any trainers and I board at a private barn with no instructors coming in. I know *of* some trainers, but feel silly calling them up and saying "Hey, you don't know me, but do you want my horse?" I do like this idea very much, though, especially because I think my horse might make a great kids or lesson horse. She is quiet and seems to like children a lot. Would they think I was a complete weirdo if I just called them out of the blue?
    No, they won't. They may not want to take the horse on the cuff, but any one of them could have a student on a tight budget who might be a good match for your horse. Or they might know someone who knows someone...

If the best way to *find* a horse is through word of mouth, it only stands to reason that sellers need to put the word out for that to work!

Just be honest about the what the horse needs, and follow up the phone call with a nice flyer mailed to the farm in the hopes that someone will post it on the bulletin board. Email it as well so people can forward it around. If you're on Facebook, post it there so your network can pass it along.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I agree with the above. You have nothing to lose by just calling up the horse people / trainers you know and letting the word out about your horse. Posting fliers at the feed store, tack store, etc.

Years ago I had good luck posting such fliers (with a nice action photo of my mare) when looking to "place" my mare for a couple months while I was abroad. Granted, she was not green, but not an easy ride either and I got many calls about her.

Most recently, when my current mare was deemed "unfit to ride" by the vet, I made the mistake of browsing the CANTER site, falling in love with a very cute Ottb mare, and buying her. And sure enough, my other mare decided that she was VERY fit to ride and never took another lame step. lol. So I had no time, no money for the new horse. Long story short, I was in pretty much the same boat as you: green horse, no time to train her, no money to send her to training...I got the word out, and asked a good friend of mine to board her in her lesson barn (I was paying her board). She put her more advanced students on the mare and all the kids LOVED her. Then I found someone willing to take the mare as a broodmare. But my friend (and her students) had grown attached to the mare and she offered to take her off my hands rather than see her sent away to someone she didn't know!
    So, happy ending. Best thing is that I can still go see the mare since she's close by!

Good luck to you. I know how scary it is to have to pay for a horse when you don't have the budget. Hang in there and keep "advertising!"
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Where are you in NY?

Green or not, what is/was her intended purpose?

I have a trainer friend in CNY who has been thinking about enlarging her sales business. You might let everyone know these basic facts. Or list her in the COTH giveaways section as part of your advertising.

That advertising will be some work, but it will be the best thing you can do right now to get this mare to the right person.

Best of luck with your situation.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

You could always post her on facebook and threaten to send her to slaughter,lol...JK!!!!!!!! Give her away, with full disclosure and tell people you do not click with her.

OP, have you and I spoken before?

If so shoot me a PM.
    Last edited by FlashGordon; Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Coconut,
    A part of what we do here at CWER is try to help owners like you find a place for horses like yours, even though she cannot come here (I'm 15 hours away from the NY state border)....
    Please let me share what i tell relatively local and nonlocal folks who contact us, asking us to take a horse.
    1) please contact reputable rescues in your area. They may be able to put you in contact with the right resources, or may know somoene who would be a good fit to help your horse;
    2) please ask for refererences AND CALL THEM for anyone you consider giving your horse -- including rescues (some would say ESPECIALLY those claiming to be newer rescues). In GENERAL, people easily willing to give you references are the kind of people you can be comfortable trusting with your horse's future over someone who gets defensive when you ask for references. If you are giving her to an individual or trainer, ASK THE REFERENCES specifically if they wouuld be comfortable having this person ride AND TRAIN a horse like ... then describe your horse on her worst day or in her worst situation. If it is a professional taking her, look them up on the web; look at their other horses available. look for comments about them on sites like this one.

3) we have a "donate my horse" form on our website. we recommend you fill it out, then use THAT data to post your horse and/or create a flier for your horse that you post/publish. It gives you a list of key questions people may need to know. if you wish us to put out information about your horse for you on some national/local email lists that may help you find her a place, please submit the form from our site to us. You MUST include an email address -- we will not forward requests that include only a phone #, and will not include phone #s in any forwards we send.
    4) we recommend you post your horse to donatemyhorse.com, the giveaways forum on chronofhorse.com, and the free horses board at thehorse.com, as well as any free sites in your state. Again, give the info from our form and also be sure to let people know you will request references.

Finally -- if your mare is papered, have you contacted every past owner on her papers? You might be pleasantly surprised to find her breeder would LOVE to see her agian, or her 2nd last owner still regrets selling her, or...

We help owners in situations similar to yours every month -- horse and human problems, whatever the causing combination -- and particularly recently, with a financial edge mixed into it. Don't be embarrassed -- you are asking for help, let people help you. Other rescues in other regions do what we do all the time as well, hopefully someone close to you can give you some guidance for your area.
    AnnMarie Cross, Pres, Crosswinds Equine Rescue, cwer.org
    Sidell IL (near Champ./UofI/Danville IL/IN state border)

Also post it n the Pony Club list for your region. I'm in the NY/Upper CT region, and they have a list on yahoogroups -- if you search for "nyuc pony club" it should turn up. My trainer has placed two horses (and very quickly) with good homes through it.

Yeah, where are you in NY?
    I am near Saratoga and may or may not be able to help.
    But we also have a yahoo group that may yield some contacts that may be able to help.

PM me if you are anywhere in my area.