The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Compare British and U.S. hunting

Dear All,

I was talking to a friend who has hunted in both the U.S. and England. He said that horses and people had to be much much fitter in England because of the longer hunts. In the South our average hunt is probably around 4 1/2 hours as opposed to 6 there.

In our discussion we touched on speed-coyotes are faster and run bigger circles than foxes do. Also, of course hunts vary very much in both places regarding terrain-hills, plow, etc. I don't think he's hunted in England on horseback-just in the car-though he used to hunt in the U.S. on horseback he's now a car follower.

I've hunted three times in Ireland and though the hunt was fast it wasn't as fast as our hunts in big flat fields after a coyote are. However, there are *a lot* more jumps and trickier jumps too. And the hunts were an average there of about 5 1/2 hours.

So, any of y'all hunted both places? What do you think? Must a horse be much fitter to handle the longer hunts or does the speed of a coyote chase make them about the same?

Maybe if we're all lucky we can hunt in both places-it's fun to see how other folk do.

Regards,
    Huntin' Fool

Well, I've not hunted in England or anywhere else besides my home turf (New England) but man, I've seen some Youtube videos of hunts over there (England/Ireland) and I'd believe it that the horses and riders have to be fitter! (and bolder!)

The vids show fast going, field riding and big jumps that re-define trappy. My horse wouldn't make it over there as a field hunter, that's for sure. I might be able to handle it, on the right mount, but the horse I hunt here wouldn't stand a chance!

The hunt I belong to is tame by comparison. And that's in a good way.