The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Re-Training to move off the leg properly

I ride a horse a few times a week at trainers request to keep it in work since the owner only comes out on weekends. This horse although quick over fences has no impulsion on the flat and will NOT move off the leg properly. So here is my dilemma, the horse (7yr old OTTB mare) isn't mine and I don't want to get her too responsive since her new owner is a novice rider, but I can't stand her bad habits and since my horse is out of work until further notice (colic surgery) its nice to have something to ride for free and for the owner not to have to pay someone to school his horse. My gut says mind my own business and just ride the mare for fun, but I really want to work on this issue so that I feel accomplished in fixing something (I know selfish).

when I use leg pressure for especially transitions she throws her head up and evades contact, I can get her in a decent frame (back lifted, nice soft contact)after she warms up and is going forward but there is stiffness throughout the body and transitions are still a problem. When I put a spur on she kicks out (small buck) nearly EVERY time I remind to move off the leg. She has no dressage training and does lower level jumping now I have never trained a greenie with no dressage training so my second question would be how would one train for proper responsiveness off the leg (groundwork suggestions etc. I am riding in a D ring french link the owner jumps in a elevator since she is strong and falls massively on the forehand through the turns and the new owner doesn't have a very strong leg. We have an indoor and live in the south so I can ride 4 or 5 times during the week.

So the first thing I guess I am asking is if I should even try since it isn't my horse and mind my own business and confirmation is NOT on my side. But I just hate to jump her around not nicely balanced and responsive.

(Note: The owner is a young junior who shows in the 2ft hunters and the horse will go around and do its job but its not as pretty as it could be due to lack of fundamentals rushing and leaning through the turns)
    Last edited by speculation07; Feb. 8, 2011 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by speculation07 View Post
    I ride a horse a few times a week to keep it in work since the owner only comes out on weekends. This horse although quick over fences has no impulsion on the flat and will NOT move off the leg properly. So here is my dilemma, the horse (7yr old OTTB mare) isn't mine and I don't want to get her too responsive since his owner is a novice rider, but I can't stand her bad habits and since my horse is out of work until further notice its nice to have something to ride for free and for the owner not to have to pay someone to school his horse. My gut says mind my own business and just ride the mare for fun, but I really want to work on this issue so that I feel accomplished in fixing something (I know selfish).

when I use leg pressure for especially transitions she throws her head up and evades contact, I can get her in a decent frame (back lifted, nice soft contact)after she warms up and is going forward but there is stiffness throughout the body and transitions are still a problem. When I put a spur on she kicks out (small buck) nearly EVERY time I remind to move off the leg. She has no dressage training and does lower level jumpers I have never trained a greenie with no dressage training so my second question would be how would one train for proper responsiveness off the leg (groundwork suggestions etc. I am riding in a loose ring french link the owner jumps in a gag since she is strong and falls massively on the forehand through the turns and the weekend warrior doesn't have a very strong leg. We have an indoor and live in the south so I can ride 4 or 5 times during the week.

So the first thing I guess I am asking is if I should even try since it isn't my horse and mind my own business and confirmation is NOT on my side. But I just hate to jump her around not nicely balanced and responsive.

(Note: The owner is a young junior who shows in the 2ft hunters and in my opinion is over-horsed most of the time)

You should ask the owner. It's not your place to "train" this horse unless the owner wants you to.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Not your horse, not your business. If horse starts to 'misbehave' guess who's gonna be blame? Especially if what you want is getting this horse more responsive...

BUT who's the owner's trainer? Why don't you take a lesson and bring up these problems within your hour? Since the 'owner' is young, you could also address the 'problems' with the parents (if they are knowledgeable enough to understand your concerns) in a positive way only.

I wouldn't start complaining neither to the parents nor the trainer to you want/can fix everything and made comments like this kid is over-horsed. Really none of your business. You aren't paid to ride, to train or to comment. It is not your horse, be happy to ride for free and try your best to keep this horse quiet over the 2ft jumps!

Thanks! That's what I figured, the trainer was the one who wanted to work with me to tune up the horse going from an adult seasoned rider (old owner did the 3'6) to becoming softer and more rideable for the kid (new owner). I guess I should have mentioned that in the earlier post. The parents of the kid are not horse people at all so the trainer has final say in all things related to the mare.

9 times out of 10 the trainer is supervising my rides and giving pointers on what he wants me to do for the owner. But both of us are somewhat stumped as to finding a good balance.

I think I will just let the trainer know I will hack the horse anytime but won't work on anything major even if asked. Like you all mentioned its more of a liability than helpful.

Last owner did the 3'6" A/Os on a now 7 year old OTTB who evades the bit and kicks out at the spur????? And it now is doing the 2' with a Novice kid???? Yikes.

But without specific guidence from the owners and their child about what they would want you to do and being able to follow up with what the kid does?? MYOB and just try to ride it for "fun", although it does not sound like it is much fun.

A little surprised at the trainer here...goal should be a suitable match. Please tell me s/he is not charging the owners for your rides when s/he is puzzled about how to proceed converting this one time racer and recent 3'6"er into a kid's speed bump packer. It's not and will not be anytime soon unless it goes into a regular program-and maybe not even then.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Last owner did the 3'6" A/Os on a now 7 year old OTTB who evades the bit and kicks out at the spur????? And it now is doing the 2' with a Novice kid???? Yikes.
    No kidding!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Has the trainer ever thought to check for back soreness or hock soreness? The horse may be getting pissy about not going forward as it can't or it hurts to do so. Sounds like the horse has worked hard up to this point, so it wouldn't suprise me if parts have given out and it may need some soundness help.

Ditto that. Poor horse has labored long hard it's first 4 or 5 years under saddle going from the track to the 3'6" Hunter ring and now to tolerating a Novice. I'd be sour and a half. Vet workup would certainly be a good place to start...maybe a rest too.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.