The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stray dog -- home found!

(EDITED: I have a home lined up for this guy. Fingers crossed it all works out! Thanks everyone for spreading the word!)

This amazingly sweet dog was huddled in my alley this AM, petrified and shivering. I am pretty sure he was dumped -- he seemed pretty traumatized. He is super-sweet and cuddly, very friendly and personable, seems like he might be housebroken, and is in pretty good shape. He looks like he might be Scottie, schnauzer... maybe some corgi? He's adorable and sweet and with him here I currently have THREE dogs in the house, which is way too many and he needs to find a home! I would rather not take him to the shelter, although he will find a home there in a heartbeat -- he's just a bit timid and scared and I don't want to put him through that.

He is not neutered and I've had no vet work done, but i'd be happy to at least get his rabies and a HW test done. He plays very nicely with my dog. His manners need a bit of work, but he listens and wants to please. Walks OK on a leash, hasn't yet shown any interest at all in the cats. He's a bit anxious about being left alone, but settles pretty quick. Does not appear to be crate trained, but has settled right down in one and is doing fine.

Short YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czQxpdwUEKg

I'm happy to deliver him! He's an awesome little dog that will be GREAT for someone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4093.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	31891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	31892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0428.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	31893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4094.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	31894  
    Last edited by Erin; Feb. 14, 2011 at 11:43 PM.

OMG...He is too cute! and your dog is very cute too. Is he a puppy do you think? I can't have another dog right now but will certainly pass the word. If you can don't take him in to the shelter... dogs get really weird if they are in there for a while. I do know of a great puppy rescue here. I could ask if they have a foster who could take him until they rehome him if you get desperate.
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

He is definitely young -- his teeth are pristine and he acts a bit puppyish. Maybe a year old?

I have friends who work at the city shelter who will make sure to keep an eye on him for me -- and he will definitely have people lined up to adopt him the minute his three-day-hold is up. I hate taking animals to the shelter but I am just out of room here! My neighbor knows someone who might be interested so fingers crossed on that one...

He's a total doll, though. And I really don't even like small dogs most of the time.

Default Finding a Rescue to Take Stray

Have you gone to www.petfinder.com and looked for a local rescue to take this guy in?

You can search by zip code to find a rescue organization near you.

Good luck!
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

He is so cute! I made a tactical error and showed the pix to my husband so now I can't pretend I "found" him. Stupid move on my part - he could have come north with the cats when it thaws a bit.

Oh, that face has A TON of character! I hope he gets a great home.
    Cheers -
    Patti

www.tristateeuine.org

Original Poster

He went to the vet for some basic stuff this AM -- got his rabies and first distemper, tested HW negative, and got a dose of Drontal for tapeworms. He also got a bath. To no one's surprise, he was not microchipped. Vet guessed that he is a year old, definitely no more than 2.

He doesn't seem to be a dog who has been out and about a lot, or he might just be still freaked out about being dumped... he got very timid when we went in the vet's office and growled at the vet and the tech. (He growled at me when I first tried to approach him yesterday, too.) But I think he's mostly just lacking confidence and is timid -- we did put a muzzle on him for the exam just to be safe, but he was fine and the tech was able to feed him treats afterwards. So he's a doggie who, at least for now, needs gradual and calm introductions. But he's such a happy, friendly guy that I think once he gains some confidence and is settled into a routine in a new place, he'll be fine.

He did pretty well riding in the car (although did prefer to try to sit in my lap than in the passenger seat!). I think he just needs to get out and about a bit more.

Anyway -- please continue to spread the word!
    Last edited by Erin; Feb. 8, 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Original Poster

Dammit, potential adopters decided they're not ready for a second dog... please spread the word, this little guy still needs a home!

Any luck finding a home for this sweetie yet?

Any news? Does he like other dogs?
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Original Poster

I have a couple good leads... one person is coming to meet him tomorrow, so hopefully that will work out.

He does great with other dogs (although he's very puppyish so can be kind of annoying).

I'll post back whether he's definitely been adopted or is still looking... thanks everyone for spreading the word! I had a local rescue group working to find him a foster spot too, but hopefully he won't need it!

Any update on this little guy?
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Great work! Rescues are sometimes the greatest dogs (and cats). I'm "down to" some very old ones, but will refresh the group after the old guys/girls are gone.

Original Poster

He'll be going to his new home this weekend, after getting the ol' snip-snip on Friday. His new mom is a horse person (don't know if she posts here, but probably!) and he'll have a JRT for a "big" sister. Hopefully it will all work out! The JRT is a little fussy about other dogs, but we did a meet-and-greet a couple days ago and she seemed to tolerate him OK.

He's a wonderfully sweet dog, but I will be very glad to get back down to 2 canines in the house. A puppy is a bit much for me to handle!