The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SmartPak Thinsulate Turnout.. sizing?

My guy has ripped yet another hole in his medium blanket and it's too big to repair this time. I have been looking for a new one since I repaired the last hole... I'm pretty sure this is the blanket I'm going to get. It says to go down a size if your horse is in between, but I'm not sure if my guy is. He wears a 78 in both his weatherbeeta sheet/medium, but the rambo heavy wug I have is a 75. All seem to fit him well lol.
    Anyone have a suggestion as to whether I should get a 75 or 78 in the SmartPak blanket? I think I'm gonna choose the 78 as I think I'd rather have a little extra than be too small?

Go with the 78.

I have been raving about the SmartPak Ultra high neck turnout I bought this past fall but now I'm going to ding the product just a little bit. I don't use the turnout blanket every day and the mare who wears it is easy peasey on her blankets. So, with about 50-60 overnight uses of the blanket one of the front clasps has become stuck in the "open" position. The hardware on the front of the Smartpak blanket is flimsy and I noticed it right off the bat when I compared it to a Rhino Wug I own. Told myself "give it a try" and now I'm not pleased with that part of the blanket.
    Last edited by SLW; Feb. 7, 2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Go with the 78.

I have been raving about the SmartPak Ultra high neck turnout I bought this past fall but now I'm going to ding the product just a little bit. I don't use the turnout blanket every day and the mare who wears it is easy peasey on her blankets. So, with about 50-60 overnight uses of the blanket one of the front clasps has become stuck in the "open" position. The hardware on the front of the Smartpak blanket is flimsy and I noticed it right off the bat when I compared it to a Rhino Wug I own. Told myself "give it a try" and now I'm not pleased with that part of the blanket.
    This blanket is just buckles so I'm not worried about that. Although I will say I've seen more than one of the clasp type blanket snaps stop working (on more than one brand of blanket.. most recent being a Pessoa). Either they get stuck open or they just flap around after awhile. I love the ease of the snaps as it makes buckling the front of the blanket so much faster, but dislike when they stop working.

My mom's WB wears an 84. I believe we bought him an 82 on the recommendation of Smartpak, as their blankets tend to run large. The 82 fits him perfectly as far as length goes, although I would prefer the drop was a little longer. His belly doesn't hang out, per se, but the drop is a little short. On the other hand, he's built like a brick outhouse. It does stay put amazingly well on a dorky WB who likes to wipeout in the snow :eyeroll:
    I haven't had a problem with the snaps at all, and they're handy when you have .2 seconds to get the blanket on the horse before he takes off
    Rebel Without Cash!

This blanket does run a little large in the stem to stern dimension--I have an 80 on a horse that normally wears an 82.

I'd like the drop to be a bit longer, also, but this horse is built like an outhouse, too...

Nice blanket. I would buy another--especially if they added a bit extra to the sides.

My horse, who fits quite well in a 78 Weatherbeeta, wears an 81 in the Smartpak with a little room to spare. I normally add a layer underneath so I got a size up, plus with a great sale and some gift certificates I only paid about $30 and 78 was sold out. Here is a picture of his big pink snow-eating self from last February. He's filled out a little since then so it's not quite so bad. He's a leggy 16.2+ TB with a weirdly shaped shoulder if that helps (he has to go UP a size in Horseware stuff for the shoulder to even kind of fit).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9745.751565037

ETA Even with it being kind of big there's been no rubs or shifting, and my boy isn't a graceful roller. I think a 78 would work best for you. I wish more blanket companies used Thinsulate--that thing's barely heavier than a sheet and pretty darn warm!

I just got mine in yesterday. I am going to try it on tonight and will let you know how it fits.

My horse measures an 81 and I have him in 80s and 82s. This is my first Smartpak blanket, but the Smartpak cotton sheet was a little large (as advertised) until I washed it and now it fits perfectly. Since the blanket can't shrink, I hope that isn't the case. Out of the box, it looks nice -- I really do like the weight of it. I had to double check to make sure it wasn't a sheet!

The blanket fit perfectly. I tried it on over an old 80 weatherbeeta. The Smartpak blanket seemed to be the same length as the weatherbeeta, both front to back and top to bottom. Judging by this, I would recommed you get a 78.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I ended up stumbling across a brand new original rambo in the right size for 50% off in the clearance bin at a local tack shop this afternoon (was less than the smartpak blanket would have been!)... so snapped it up. But will definitely keep the smartpak blankets on my list in the future.