The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

So Sundowner was notified that buying our trailer back at current value was unacceptable...yada yada yada...they called back on Friday and said that they needed to know who to send additional correspondence to as it involved a formal offer of judgement being necessary in this case...well, my attorney was in court and his paralegal said to tell them to send it to me and I would forward to my attorney if necessary...so I do...this morning...sundowner counsel calls back to tell me they are repairing the trailer and I can get it on Friday...

So now I am laughing....I read from more than one of you that until you actually sent a letter from your attorney you got nowhere with Sundowner...(which in itself is frightening that more than just me had a problem with them that would require an attorney)...so anyway, no doubt they don't believe there IS an attorney so they decided to blow me off...so now I just sit back and wait and laugh as although my attorney is very busy and slow to get things moving...he DOES exist and they should be hearing from him as soon as this afternoon....

Betcha that will suprise them! This girl she does not bluff! She is ANGRY and she does not trust her trailer anymore.

So I will sit and wait with my rental trailer...which by the way is an Equispirit...very nice trailer....I really like the windows in the dressing room....the horses seem to think its cool that they can see out the front....and the ramp is cool...not steep at all...and I never really thought the Sundowner was steep until I used this one.

So we wait...and probably wait some more...but that's ok...until they decide what to do with me I can always put a big sign on my trailer (once I get it back) that says something like "don't worry...the ramp on this trailer has only fallen off ONCE...the manufacturer tells me the defect that caused it MIGHT exist elsewhere on the trailer..but you should NOT worry about your safety!" http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif Now to decide WHERE to park it for the most people to see.... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif Of course, seeing as I will NOT put my horses back into it I could just take it empty to all the big shows coming up and just let it sit there where all those future trailer buying people will be!

UPDATE: So I call the dealership today to find out what time the trailer will be ready on Friday....dealer calls me back and says he doesn't THINK there is a trailer on its way to him with the new ramp on it...but he is waiting for a call back to find out for sure. The corporate attorner told me it would be finished on Friday! So now if the trailer with the ramp is not even on its way from Oklahoma...I am thinking Friday is out of the question...which means I can't even make the appointment to have it checked out OR get rid of the damn thing! So...call out to attorney...who as usual is in court.....sigh http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gifhttp://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE \"OMGiH I LOFF MY MARE\" CLIQUE

So Sundowner was notified that buying our trailer back at current value was unacceptable...yada yada yada...they called back on Friday and said that they needed to know who to send additional correspondence to as it involved a formal offer of judgement being necessary in this case...well, my attorney was in court and his paralegal said to tell them to send it to me and I would forward to my attorney if necessary...so I do...this morning...sundowner counsel calls back to tell me they are repairing the trailer and I can get it on Friday...

So now I am laughing....I read from more than one of you that until you actually sent a letter from your attorney you got nowhere with Sundowner...(which in itself is frightening that more than just me had a problem with them that would require an attorney)...so anyway, no doubt they don't believe there IS an attorney so they decided to blow me off...so now I just sit back and wait and laugh as although my attorney is very busy and slow to get things moving...he DOES exist and they should be hearing from him as soon as this afternoon....

Betcha that will suprise them! This girl she does not bluff! She is ANGRY and she does not trust her trailer anymore.

So I will sit and wait with my rental trailer...which by the way is an Equispirit...very nice trailer....I really like the windows in the dressing room....the horses seem to think its cool that they can see out the front....and the ramp is cool...not steep at all...and I never really thought the Sundowner was steep until I used this one.

So we wait...and probably wait some more...but that's ok...until they decide what to do with me I can always put a big sign on my trailer (once I get it back) that says something like "don't worry...the ramp on this trailer has only fallen off ONCE...the manufacturer tells me the defect that caused it MIGHT exist elsewhere on the trailer..but you should NOT worry about your safety!" http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif Now to decide WHERE to park it for the most people to see.... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif Of course, seeing as I will NOT put my horses back into it I could just take it empty to all the big shows coming up and just let it sit there where all those future trailer buying people will be!

UPDATE: So I call the dealership today to find out what time the trailer will be ready on Friday....dealer calls me back and says he doesn't THINK there is a trailer on its way to him with the new ramp on it...but he is waiting for a call back to find out for sure. The corporate attorner told me it would be finished on Friday! So now if the trailer with the ramp is not even on its way from Oklahoma...I am thinking Friday is out of the question...which means I can't even make the appointment to have it checked out OR get rid of the damn thing! So...call out to attorney...who as usual is in court.....sigh http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gifhttp://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">elsewhere on the trailer..but you should NOT worry about your safety!" Now to decide WHERE to park it for the most people to see.... Of course, seeing as I will NOT put my horses back into it I could just take it empty to all the big shows coming up and just let it sit there where all those future trailer buying people will be! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh yes -- the BIG sign at the ramp - then little signs at all the "might be defective" spots
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Oh the little signs would make it even better!

You know the sad part is that I would have continued to be a loyal Sundowner customer IF they had handled this more professionally...but when they told me that their could be other spots where the welds and/or metal might be a problem but they didn't THINK so (and had no interest, at least to me, in checking the other welds out), they lost me! And in return they got my mouth going at 100 mph to everyone I know! Great marketing strategy!

I think that this would get attention

"might be defective but manufacturer won't double-check welds"

"might be defective - ditto on manufacturer doesn't care enough to look at it"

"might be defective but manufacturer isn't worried about the safety of my horses"

etc
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

OR: "don't worry manufacturer says things SHOULDN'T fall off this trailer AGAIN and hit the cars behind me....but if it does I bet it will only hurt for a LITTLE while...."

Guess I missed the post, but seeing as I have a new Sundowner, do you mind filling me in on the "ramp falling off!" Was it during transit or while loading??? Either way, thats scary! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

On another note, are you trying this spring to breed to Kovington? I know last year you had troubles.
    ANG

www.equinewellnessmassage.com

Here is link to what happened...yes it was while loading...and YES it was very scary....my mare's legs are just now starting to heal and with any luck she will continue to stay ok...

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee/f...31/m/649201675

Sorry Ang: Didn't see the last part...I'll PT you about my breeding plans...

Thanks! I think I will go and check out my trailer now!

www.equinewellnessmassage.com

YES, put the signs on the Trailer! Then take PICTURES of it and POST IT HERE AND EVERYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET you can find, THEN send an email to Sundowner with LINKS TO EVERY POST.

Sorry for the shouting. Got a little excited there. Can't believe how they are treating you.

OH! Sending them the pics would be fun!

We actually have an appointment with an Independent Inspector for Saturday...not sure exactly what his "certification" is but he inspects the big 18 wheelers and stuff like that for problems like this...so if they are silly enough to let me have the trailer back when they are "done" then not only can I use it as a mobile public service announcement but I can also have someone other than them tell me if anything else appears to be wrong...still seems strange to me that *I* am the one having it checked out...a Sundowner dealer in another state told me that she was SURE Sundowner would want the trailer back in Oklahoma to find out what went wrong as she was sure they would take something like this very seriously...of course maybe since last week they DID have someone look at it and just don't want to share that with me...but then again I would think they would have offered that up to me as a *hey, look...we had it checked out and it really was ONLY in the ramp etc.*....

to each his own I guess...shame on them!

Faulty Sundowner #1 (mine):

I have pictures of the welds falling off of my Charter when it had NEVER ONCE BEEN USED. I bought it at an Expo, hauled it home (winter coming on) and when I went out a month later to check it, the doors were FALLING OFF due to bad welds. If I had a premium membership, I'd post those pix.

But, they would NOT fix it. This went on for another SIX MONTHS during which I used it to show. By end of show season, and no further along with Sundowner, I ended up taking everything out of my tack room, and ROPING it shut, making sure I parked UP FRONT at EVERY SHOW and told EVERYONE that I COULD not to buy such a trailer, as Mft'r, IMHO, NOT BACKING THEIR warranty. That entire summer, with me calling them periodically and getting promises of return calls that never came ... Finally, I sent a CERTIFIED Return Receipt letter, with my attorney copied at the bottom of the letter. At least that got me a phone call, but the result was that they could check it at their annual FOLLOW UP to that Expo. where I had bought it. By the, warranty would be RUN OUT -- I refused to wait that long.

Finally, when we could not agree that I should not have to wait a year for a repair, I filed for, and recieved, permission to PICKET their stand at that Expo in question.

So, I sent them a SECOND letter stating that I had obtained an "approval to picket" at that Expo, and that I was also filing a complaint with the state attorney general's office, and that this complaint could prevent them from doing ANY business at ANY MORE EXPO's in the state.

Trailer got fixed. REALLY FAST. Not only was TRAILER FIXED, but even extra little bumps and dings were repainted and repaired for FREE. Entire trailer looked BRAND NEW when I got it back. So, I immediately PUT IT UP FOR SALE and got another brand name!

Faulty Sundowner #2: 4 horse GN LQ with added tack PLUS added bathroom (not mine). That's the one the blew 8 sets of tires before finally snapping and axle & hitting ground while going 65 m.p.h. on the way to the Camino Real event in Texas. ... (FWIW -These "faulty trailer" cases were going on simultaneously -- if we had had a TRUE HISTORY on the trailers, NEITHER of us would have purchased them). After righting the trailer (laying up on its side against a mountainridge with 4 EXPENSIVE eventers on board) for 3 hours ... we got a wrecker to help us to the next exit, we were lucky to find a horsey hotel there and were now stuck at that strange horsey hotel for 3 days enroute to Texas. ... After only the most HEATED calls (several from the local "Redneck Trucking Service and Sales" managers who we asked for help (who said the whole trailer was a total white elephant -- TOTALLY engineered incorrectly), then FINALLY, our lawyers on the phone ... we FINALLY got "permission" to have Redneck install ONE axle (admittedly undersized again but it's all they had in stock -- and Sundowner REFUSED to send us the proper size axle) so that we could LIMP for the other 300 miles to Sundowner .... where they said they would fix the TWO blown axles. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif ) ....

Informed that we had 4 very fit competition eventers on board (one long listed for Atlanta Olympics, the other 3 all regional champions at their respective levels), Sundowner said they had a paddock out back for us to unload the horses. Meeting time was set for 5 a.m. the next morning, where they said they'd send in a supervisor a bit early to open their gates for us.

We drove the 300 miles, but it took all night. Redneck trailer sales had given us stern warnings to get out and check the single tire on one side ... on the SINGLE axle every 90 minutes. When it started to heat up, we were to pull over and let it cool, or else risk blowing it.

So, the 300 mile trip, which should have taken around 6 hours, took OVER TEN HOURS. Proceeding slowly, going under rated speeds with semis flying by, and stopping every 1.5 to 2 hours to let the sidewalls of the single tire cool off.

What happened upon arrival at Sundowner's Coleman mft'g. plant, then, was one of the worst nightmares of our competitive lives and LD hauling of horses ... After driving all night, the Night from Hell" ... NO ONE was there to meet us upon arrival at 4:45 a.m. We were not overly worried since 5:00 was our official meeting time.However, the road offered NO WHERE TO PARK THE RIG, and gates were locked up tight. We could not forge onwards because there was no town ahead on any map. ... you can't just swing around a nearly 60 foot long trailer on a dime ... So, we pulled off the side of the road as best we could, sitting in the dark with flashers on, and prayed. NO ONE SHOWED UP at 5:00. NO ONE ANSWERED THE PHONE numbers we had. Finally, around 6:00, what seemed like an eternity, they FINALLY came around and HOUR late and not even NICE about it.

They took us to the back, and we were instructed to offload our horses into ROUND PENS SET UP ON THEIR CONCRETE PARKING LOT. The horses had been in the trailer over 12 hours by now and stalled for THREE days before ... We were FURIOUS, but knew by day's end, we'd be SO DONE with this trailer mftr.

Sundowner then agreed to replace the TWO 7,500 axles (for a 28K, loaded, trailer) with two 10K ones (still underrated) and refused to budge a single inch more. Owner agreed to it. I told her I'd never load my horse on her trailer again due to safety concerns. There went THAT relationship!

We ended up arriving at Camino Real 5 days late, the morning of dressage. None of us did well at the competition, even the other 2 riders who flew in to ride their horses -- we'd ALL lost over a week of training and horses were stiff, exhausted and on edge all weekend.

Bad Sundowner #3: Got to Camino Real to find out the lady stabled BESIDE us had made an appointment the day before to have her trailer scheduled in the following MONDAY (a simple BP) because it was blowing tires .... due to a bent axle because her axle was ALSO under-rated.

A good deal of trailers are UNDER-axled. And, while many on this BB have asked my why I know so much about trailers, NOW YOU HAVE THE ANSWER. I DO learn from my mistakes, and EDUCATED MYSELF so that this never, EVER happens to my horses, or me, again.

Magnum
    "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else."

Wow - will be in the market for a trailer soon - and guess what I won't be buying? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

Magnum: WOW! I knew you had problems just not that much detail! Holy crap!!!!! Now WHY could you not have met me BEFORE I bought this darn trailer!

I can not say that I am in the LEAST bit suprised by the way you were treated as my overall impression at this point is that they just don't care....

I would THINK that if something unusual happened to one of their trailers they would WANT to know so they could keep accidents from happening....but I think I am wrong...and you know what the sad thing is??? I probably could have been passified by the reps telling me some BS story about why it happened and that it would never happen again yada yada yada...but everytime they opened their mouth to me they kept confirming my fears!!!! DUH! So, I may have my faults but common sense it one of my strongest qualities...so you can bet I will follow this through if for no other reason then to be a thorn in their side.....and ya know what else makes me laugh....they CLAIM that they accept all liability for anything that goes wrong as it stated in their warranty....but it does also have a disclaimer that states that they will do so IF it is not caused by negligence or misuse by owner...NOW...although they KNOW they are at fault for MY defect...I would never in a million years trust that if something happened in the future they would try to say it was something I did! NO DOUBT IN MY MIND!

I think that the law of averages is what has protected the trailer manufacturers.

Most people don't haul the maximum number of horses in their trailers every time, or even most of the time.

Most people park that trailer and it sits...and gets used 3x a year.

My trailer gets USED. I haul 1-4 horses, 4-8x a month.

My trailer may have undersized axles, but I'm not sure. I do know it has been very reliable for several years, no non-normal tire problems (age related failures don't count), and I'm very happy with it.

Reading this does cement that I won't be trying Sundowner if I do replace my trailer. Currently I see no reason to replace it. I love it.

Mel

OK, I'm thinkin my 67 Shoop is looking pretty good.

All I can say is Thank God I bought a used Trailet last Fall. I had looked at a few Sundowners too but passed on the advice of the trailer repair place who warned me about Sundowners...obviously they knew what they were talking about....

When I went looking to buy trailers a few years ago, I took my husband, who is quite knowlegeable with me. Speaking of underrated, we even found trailers that were underrated on the hitch, never mind the axles! The trailer load rating was higher than the hitch rating! If you loaded the trailer for what it was designed to carry, you'd be in danger due to the hitch not being strong enough!

So, whats the deal with all these trailers having under-rated axles and/hitches and manufacturers getting away with it?

Doesn't anyone require certain specs like the DOT?