The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What would you pay for used jumps?

I am going to look at a set of used jumps tomorrow, and neither the seller or myself know what kind of price to pay for them! There is supposed to be a full set of 12 jumps, all wood with metal jump cups. Apparently, there are wing standards and plain standards, tons of poles, brush boxes, gates, etc. and they are supposed to be in really good shape.

Has anyone purchased any used jumps lately? What would you pay?

When my trainer bought her set she paid $1200, which was a full course (about 8 sets of wings, 10-12 standard sets, and some wishing wells), some half rotted walls (one of which a horse had stepped through), a big tub of heavy duty cups, and probably 40 poles.

Why don't you do some comparison shopping online before you see the jumps?
    www.ljjumps.com is one possible source but there are many. If these jumps are enough for a nice course and are in great shape, make a decent offer so you'll be the lucky one to get them! Good luck!!

This is listed for a new jump:

‎2-5' wings, 2 wave planks, 1 gate. Painted any solid color. $600
    There is probably a markup due to the people who are selling it, but I think you should expect to pay a pretty penny for a full set of wooden jumps with poles and fill.

If neither of you know, maybe you can get away with a low offer, but if they were my jumps and they were in excellent condition I would expect to pay quite a bit. Jump cups alone are $10 a pair.

I'd say at least 5 grand if they are in great condition and there is lots of fill and there are lots of poles.

(Go to the pricing link of the site lined by the previous poster. Jumps cost a lot of money.)
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I think wing standards retail $200 and up per pair, painted 10-12' poles $25 each. Then again you will have to haul them all away, and they're only worth what someone will pay for them.

If your climate gets wet, wiggle the standards to see if they've loosened. If extremely sunny check the paint and any plastic for deterioration.

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    Even though these jumps haven't been used a whole lot over the years, they are approximately 15 years old. $5,000 for the lot....the LJ Jump link someone provided above quoted only $2,950 for a basic hunter course. I'd rather buy new than spend 5K on used jumps. I don't think anyone on the planet would be crazy enough to purchase them for that price. It's one thing if they were "show quality" jumps, PVC, etc., but that is not what these are. They're just plain and simple and not professionally made.

Most people who have been emailing me have said they're paying $800-$1,200 for similar.
    Wait, are you the seller?

I agree, if they aren't very fancy or new, then my guess of $5000 would be high.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I bought some really nice used jumps this summer for my trainer. We got them from a place that builds them for the shows they run, then sells them (and they make more, so their courses are always changing, very nice.)

IIRC I paid about $500-600 per jump (standards plus poles) for the more elaborate standards (wishing wells, etc.)

http://www.westbrookhuntclub.com/jumps/
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Look for round poles that do not have splinters. Splinters may nick your horse's legs so could be dangerous. Personally, I wouldn't buy poles with chips and splinters but many trainers and newbies to jumping don't know better until an accident happens.

I've bought used painted poles for about 20.00 each. Depends who you are buying from.

I bought schooling standards, smaller ones but in great shape, for about $10.00 each a year or so ago. Fresh coat of paint and they were perfect. The people just had them sitting in their yard from when their daughter used to jump. So there are deals to be found, but not often!

All depends on the type of standards/wings and the fillers. A more elaborate wing/standard could run $200 - $500 per pair new, painted poles about $25-30; fillers such as gates/walls $200-$500..

the last time we bought jumps was about 6 years ago and we got a heck of a deal 8 pairs of A show quality standards/wings; fillers including stone wall to complete 8 jumps all for about $1,100. I will mention that the seller happened to be a good friend of one of our husbands so he did do us a pretty good deal