The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone tried these fresh helmet thingies...?

If you've ridden horses long enough, I'm sure you've had the tack room conversation about how horrid everyone's helmets smell...especially in the summer!

I have a CO AYR8 that I LOVE, and I'd like to keep it fresh. I'm a sweater...not the knit kind that you wear in winter, but I sweat when I work hard. So...

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...8&cm_vc=Search

Any other helpful hints? What about the CO helmet deoderant spray?

I have one. I don't notice any different in odor, but it does dry my helmet out much faster.

Try putting a dryer sheet in your helmet after you ride.
    New Blessing Farm
    Standing the Oldenburg stallion Legaczy
    www.newblessingfarm.com
    "The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground".

Dryer sheet WHILE I ride or AFTER I ride?

I'd hate to have the overpowering scent of Bounce etched into the molecules of my hair. Although, after I ride, I can see it helping freshen at least the air inside my helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by NBFarm View Post
    Try putting a dryer sheet in your helmet after you ride.
    After
    New Blessing Farm
    Standing the Oldenburg stallion Legaczy
    www.newblessingfarm.com
    "The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground".

Ok, thanks for the clarification since your post read, at first, "when you ride." I just couldn't for the life of me want to put a dryer sheet on my head!

I keep a Bounce dryer sheet in the rubbermaid container where I keep my polo wraps. I will pull one out and try it in the helmet!

Default fresh helmet thingies

I have two (I am a sweater, too, winter or summer), and I have ruined more helmets by sweating in them than any other way. The fresh helmet things work pretty well for drying the helmet. I have found that they work best when I hang them out in the sun while I am riding, so that they get a chance to release the moisture that they absorbed from my helmet.

As for that lovely helmet smell, I save my CO for showing and clinics, and use a GPA for schooling because I can wash it. I also try to let my helmets dry in the sun for a little while before I put them away-sunlight kills germs even when it's cold.

I have also been known to spray Febreze in a helmet that smells like old gym socks, because if my helmet makes me gag, I don't want to wear it.

The CO hat spray works pretty well as a cleaner, not very well as a deodorizer, in my experience.

YMMV
    friend of bar.ka

I am dressed up. These wellies are clean.

Default Um. Liners.

I am tempted to post this under an alter, but what the heck. I use panty liners in my helmets. Put in a fresh one every ride. Just peel & stick. I buy cheap generic ones that are a bit longer. And - important - unscented! Cheap and works really well. I'm a sweater any my helmets aren't stinky. And no, I've not (knocks wood) had any embarrassing slippage incidents.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

charles owen makes a spray "cleaner" that gets foamy, you rub it around w/ a rag and it disappears. Helps a lot, I bought it after moving to Florida AND beginning to wear said helmet again...(new horse, more than a safety epiphany...)

During gnat season, we ride with a bounce sheet in our helmets. I bought those little "sneaker balls" that are sold for your gym shoes (around $5 a pair) and place them in my helmet when I'm done riding for that day. Works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysauntie View Post
    I am tempted to post this under an alter, but what the heck. I use panty liners in my helmets. Put in a fresh one every ride. Just peel & stick. I buy cheap generic ones that are a bit longer. And - important - unscented! Cheap and works really well. I'm a sweater any my helmets aren't stinky. And no, I've not (knocks wood) had any embarrassing slippage incidents.

I can just see it! Johnny hits the grocery store on the way home not knowing when she removed her helmet, the panty- liner was stuck to her head!! That ought to generate some odd looks!!!
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

In my CO AYR8 I use HeadLine It and I'm very happy with them. I'm also in Florida so I use them year-round. I sweat an average amount but I have oily skin, and I've found these to last about two to four weeks. I had previously used the Wicky StickIts and found I like the fuller coverage of the HeadLine Its. My husband sweats a *lot* and would go through one Wicky StickIt per ride. If you sweat tons, the panty liners might be a more economical option.

I like the Smartpak thing. It is inexpensive and I decided to get it while ordering a few other things.

It has worked best for me because I keep my GPA in the little drawstring bag the helmet came with. I do notice my helmet doesn't stink like it used to.

My helmet is also very old. I need to replace it because it is so old and past its expiration date, but it had many years of smell ingrained in it, so if this little odor eater thing could work on mine...

I have the helmet thingy...don't notice much difference. I think having 2 helmet is probably the answer. Expensive, but rotating them is probably the answer.

When I run out of pantyliners, I just use moth balls

I have the HeadlineIts for my show helmets. Tried the Sticky Wickets but prefer the HeadlineIt. For my everyday helmet, I do use Safeway unscented panty liners. Four of them, all the way around. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Beau's mom View Post
    I have the helmet thingy...don't notice much difference. I think having 2 helmet is probably the answer. Expensive, but rotating them is probably the answer.
    This is my solution I ride up to 5 a day, and even when it's cold out and I'm bundled up, working horses end up sweaty and so do I. The only way I cope is by rotating my hats. Thankfully, my sweat doesn't smell too bad so I don't have that issue, but I loathe putting on a sweaty helmet, especially if it's a freezing cold sweaty helmet - yuck!

I've never tried the bag, but I've tried all the sprays and cleaners out there - IMO, none of them do any better of a job then just setting the hat outside to dry and breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by nickers@dawn View Post

I can just see it! Johnny hits the grocery store on the way home not knowing when she removed her helmet, the panty- liner was stuck to her head!! That ought to generate some odd looks!!!
    Nickers, I make DANG sure to locate (and throw away) the aforementioned "helmet liner" after each ride!

And point of clarification - I stick the thing to my helmet, not my head!
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Hmm...some great options! I currently school in my cheap Aegis helmet (which is several years old and a little on the gross side) and save my nice CO for shows and outings. But, since I'm planning on more shows and outings this year, I want the CO to stay nice!

I like the idea of the HeadLine It product...I've tried the panty liners before. Problem is, I don't just sweat on the forehead. I also sweat around my pony tail holder (back of head)...weird, I know. Sweaty helmets are not fun to put back on.

I may try the HeadLine It while riding, then setting helmet in sun to dry, and Febreeze/sneaker ball combo while helmet is stored.

I spray the inside of my helmet occasionally with the enzyme pet cleaner stuff that is recommended for pet accidents.