The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    39,964

    Default PSA: xilitol, poison to dogs:

    Since so many horse owners and farms have dogs, maybe this warning is appropiate here, as a PSA:

    http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvett...l_now_in_drugs

    Just read the labels.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 16, 2003
    Location
    Guthrie, OK
    Posts
    1,586

    Default

    Xylitol is extremely toxic (poisonous!) to dogs. By 2 mechanisms.

    1) the dog's body "reads" xylitol as sugar. As such, it releases insulin in an attempt to use this "sugar". Since it isn't sugar, it drives the dog's own blood sugar down, resulting in profound, often fatal, hypoglycemia. Much like an insulin overdose. It also last longer in the dog's blood stream than in ours so the effect is longer lasting.
    2) It is a liver toxin and can result in irreversible liver failure if not treated.

    So keep sugarless gums, etc away from the reach of dogs.

    If you think or know your dog has gotten into some, get it to a vet NOW.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 23, 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,857

    Default

    I will also point out that xylitol can also be found in the VET prodcut C.E.T Aquadent that is a water additive for dental maintenance. Not sure why they haven't changed the formula since learning about the toxicity of xylitol to animals. It seems I recall it being in some other pet products as well...



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2010
    Location
    United States of Absurdistan
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    I thought we all knew this already.

    Bluey- Congrats on your 19,000 post!!

    LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

    R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2009
    Posts
    1,805

    Default

    I had not heard this yet so thanks!! luckily my dog is older and wouldn't be interested in gum or mints but puppies..............



  6. #6
    Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    39,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybugred View Post
    I thought we all knew this already.

    Bluey- Congrats on your 19,000 post!!

    LBR
    I was not sure everyone knew this quite yet.

    I didn't notice about the post #, thanks for pointing that out.
    Guess I had much to say, didn't I.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 23, 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,585

    Default

    For those who use Rescue Remedy, be advised that the "pastille" version has xylitol in it.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 23, 2006
    Posts
    1,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybugred View Post
    I thought we all knew this already. ...
    Yes, the info. and warnings about xylitol have been out for a long time, BUT, the link that Bluey provided is a new/additional warning, (written by a vet and dated Feb. 7, 2011). We all need to be aware of this new information because xylitol is fatal to dogs.

    It appears that xylitol is now being put into many drugs, by the drug manufacturers - both over the counter and prescription. Many of these drugs are used for dogs - some are veterinary drugs and some are people drugs that are often used for dogs.

    The use of xylitol in so many drugs now means that everyone, both pet owners and veterinarians, need to be extra vigilant when prescribing or using any medications on our dogs.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2002
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    16,684

    Default

    Xylitol causes some major digestive upsets in people also. I react badly to that stuff and won't touch it. I am not happy to see it being put into more and more human products for that reason as well as the danger to our pets.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2009
    Posts
    8,377

    Default Thanks and Congratulations Bluey !

    Thank you for this information ~

    CONGRATULATIONS ` BLUEY !!!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2006
    Location
    Evansville, Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Claddagh View Post
    Yes, the info. and warnings about xylitol have been out for a long time, BUT, the link that Bluey provided is a new/additional warning, (written by a vet and dated Feb. 7, 2011). We all need to be aware of this new information because xylitol is fatal to dogs.
    I agree, I knew that xylitol was extremely toxic to dogs, and could often be found in sugarless gum, but I did not realize that it was becoming more common in medications and other products.

    Thank you Bluey.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland



Similar Threads

  1. Poison Ivy Help
    By knightrider in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul. 5, 2012, 07:09 AM
  2. Help - how do I get rid of poison ivy?
    By anchodavis in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Jul. 2, 2011, 11:45 PM
  3. Do dogs get poison ivy?
    By evans36 in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun. 1, 2011, 10:55 AM
  4. Poison Ivy
    By Generalter in forum Off Course
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: Jun. 14, 2010, 07:28 AM
  5. Poison Ivy?
    By BeaSting in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jul. 18, 2009, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •