The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Got a toxic family member? Perhaps a Narcissist?

Hi COTHers.
    Almost every Off Topic Day someone has a thread going about toxic family members, usually parents but sometimes siblings or spouses. Unfortunately I've got a family member I'd label as toxic as well. After yet another confrontation, in desperation I turned to the internet. I stumbled across a term I'd never heard of before Narcissist Personality Disorder and a few blogs which describe this family member of mine exactly. I was shocked that I had never heard of a Narcissist or NPD before. I'm not big on labels but I found one particular blog super helpful. Its written for those who have to deal with narcissists rather than for the narcissists themselves.

I didn't want to post this link as part of another thread in case it gets lost among all the posts. For any of you COTHers dealing with a toxic relationship with a parent, sibling or spouse perhaps you will find some of what is posted on this blog useful.

Cheers.

http://narcissists-suck.blogspot.com/search/label/How to Spot a Narcissist

Here's a sample:
    "All malignant narcissists are cases of arrested development.
    They are perpetually living in a mindset of a young child. The age when a child is old enough to know the difference between right and wrong but very willing to do wrong if they think they won't get caught. Like a child, they feel entitled to whatever they want. Like a child, they recreate reality to suit their fantasy about themselves and the world around them. Like a child, they want all attention focused on them. But, unlike a child, the narcissist is not subject to being molded and shaped by authority figures or reality. The narcissist is determined (read here, conscious choice) to remain a child whereas most children are driven by a desire to grow up. Children are childish and there is no crime in that. I'm not pathologizing childhood. I'm highlighting that malignant narcissists are pathological children."

Huh. Sounds like my BIL. A giant kid with major drug problems, who thinks only of himself, and EVERYONE is out to get him.

So why is it we have to talk about Charlie Sheen?

:::::