The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Default Giving cats pills

Thought I'd post this on behalf of my mum, as it is my cat she has to give the pills to and I feel guilty as I'm never around to help! So basically about 4 months ago my cat went on Thyroid medication. She has to take one pill a day for it. My mum used to put it in one of these "pill pocket" things and she ate it with no problem, but I guess she has finally cottoned on to that trick and now refuses to eat them. Mum has tried crushing pills in her food, but this is a problem as we normally feed our 3 cats together. SO - any other suggestions??
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1. Lay towel across lap
    2. Lay cat on back
    3. Wrap towel snugly around cat starting just below the head
    4. Fold in sides to create a kitty burrito
    5. Open mouth, drop pill in

Easy as pie!

I found a vitamin that goes in a tube. Nutrical ? It's a very sticky paste that looks like molasses. I crush the pill, put a tiny dab of my finger, mix the powder into the paste.
    Approach cat from back, push the side of her mouth back and smear the paste on her teeth. She is unable to spit it out (too sticky) and so swallows (and dutifully licks it off the side of her face with her paw). She, still however, resents me for it.

I've had good luck smearing a pill in real butter and stuffing it down the throat. The butter makes it slippery and not taste so bad.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Ok I know this is not helpful at all but I just couldn't resist .

http://www.nanceestar.com/CatPill.html

You need a cat piller. It's a shotgun mechanism that kind of looks like a tampon applicator but really works.

I'm a vet tech and I can pill dogs all day long. I insist on a piller for cats. I have a cat that has to be medicated daily, and this thing is the only way I can get Malcom's prednisone in him on a reliable basis.

I kneel down on the floor over him with my feet together so that he can't back up, use my left hand to lift his head and squeeze his jaw open, and worry the piller into his mouth. Shoot it off and we're done! I always do it right before he gets breakfast, so he's resigned that he's got to get his pill in order to eat.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

+1 on the piller. I wouldn't attempt to pill a cat without one.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    You need a cat piller. It's a shotgun mechanism that kind of looks like a tampon applicator but really works.
    I've used one of these as well. The one I had you sucked a little water up into the plunger first, then the pill went on the end. When you drepress the plunger pill goes in and water goes right behind to make them swallow and keep them from chocking.

I agree - the cat piller is a must. I bought one from my vet for a couple bucks and it made life so much easier. The only thing that comes in a close second is coating it in butter, but then I would usually end up with a greasy mess on me from it. Either way I still used a towel and got the cat wrapped good and tight as well.

When we had to give them we coated them with spray on cheese, then popped them in. Then we sprayed a little cheese on her paw so she had something else to think about other than how mean we were! She loves spray on cheese.
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

The piller sounds interesting, but I have always given my cats pills by just opening their mouths and shoving it in the back of their throat. If they don't swallow immediately, I blow gently on their nose until they swallow it. I hold their head like a baseball with one hand, open the mouth and insert the pill with the other.

I have to say, though, my house cats are the easiest cats in the world to handle, pick up, etc. They even take baths happily and LOVE the vet. If they were like some of the other cats I've had, I would do the kitty burrito suggested above before opening their mouth to insert the pill. The trick is to get the pill all the way in the back of their mouth, so they have no choice but to swallow it.

If you can find one of those pillers, though, that sounds like the best bet.

Yes, you MUST get a cat piller. My vet gave me one for free. I have a cat who can hold a pill in his mouth for 45 minutes AND swallow and still spit the damn thing out. And I'm a good medicine giver!

scruff, insert cat piller ($5 at Petsmart), depress plunger.
    done
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Another vote for the cat piller. Also handy for giving pills to a dog that can eat all of the cheese or peanut butter off of a pill and then spit it out.

If you can get the medicine in goo form, or transfer it to goo form (crushing and mixing it with something), you can just spill/pour it on the cat's fur and they'll lick it right off.

I've never had a problem with administering pills, just tossing them to the very back of the mouth/throat and gently stroking the throat until they swallow.

I used to use pillers when I worked for a vet, but my current kitty just sits in my lap and lets my pop them down her throat. It took a long time to get there - we used to do the kitty burrito, but I give treats LIBERALLY after every time I give her a pill and eventually she figured out if she sits still it goes faster, and its faster to treat time.

Poor thing has allergies to just about everything too so I'm glad she is a sweetheart about it.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Thanks for all the advice guys, I thought the collective COTH wisdom would be able to offer suggestions they hadn't tried yet. I think they've tried a version of the towel wrap. Problem is, this cat is kind of paranoid already & building up trust with her is not easy so that makes the whole situation even more frustrating for my parents. My Dad can do the shoving down the throat deal, but Mum wont & this seems to be "her job". Will definitely recommend the cat piller though. Haha I also like the spray on cheese - that sounds interesting too!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Pill gun and kitty burrito, aka wrap the kitty in a towel. I'm a vet tech, too and I find it works best (especially if you're by yourself) to hold the cat up on a table/counter facing away from you up against your body. Hold the head in one hand, insert pill gun as far back as you can, and shoot.

Vet student here who has played "veterinary assistant" a bunch over the years...cat piller or not, one of the things that gives me peace of mind is syringing a little bit of water down after pilling. A few reasons for that: a) I wouldn't want to have to take meds without water b) some drugs are bad if left in the esophagus c) I feel better letting the cat go pout somewhere without watching it like a hawk to see if it brings the pill up.
    There are always the super-talented cats, but I think piller + water works on most.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

I have one cat with allergies so he gets his allergy pill every other day. Sit on couch, cat in lap facing forward, hold head and pry open jaws with left hand, shove pill to back of throat with right hand, release cat, and treat liberally. The other cat gets his pred every other day for his old man respiratory inflammation... same routine except he doesn't like the grain free treats and throws up standard pet store treats, so no treats for him. Cat number three (two year old mutt) will eat anything that's not nailed down and even then he'll try. So I just put a pill in whatever's handy and feed him... he swallows before he realizes there was anything in there. He's also the only one who will eat crushed up pill in his wet food... the other two look at me with the "yeah right" glare.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin