The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Latest TSA confiscation...

Today's items confiscated:
    5 handwarmers
    Because apparently it has been pure luck for the last SEVEN years that I have not caused a plane to catch on fire due to my selfish packing of packaged hand warmers in my briefcase.
    Please consider yourselves educated.

Well you know....you could use them to....um.....boil your apple juice and blind someone?

I'm glad they are trying to keep the skies safe.....but sometimes it's a little crazy.

They made my sister TASTE her OWN BREAST MILK that was bottled for her son in her carryon to prove it wasn't poison....or something like that. Absurd I tell you.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

All these years of winter riding and I've been risking catching on fire the whole time and never knew it. Astounding.

Proud member of the EDRF

Sometimes I wonder about them. They didn't catch a 6" knife that my Mom's coworker forgot to take out of her purse
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

You can thank the ACLU and progressives for the confiscation.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    You can thank the ACLU and progressives for the confiscation.

really????
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    really????
    We squeeze everyone cuz we don't profile. Yup, finger pointing stands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVSb8S2hkDY

(Ignore the first 15 seconds.)

Well, I guess that you could... throw them at people?

Safe is one thing. It's getting over the top now though.

I had a bottle of aspirin taken from me because it wasn't sealed... He wanted me to take another one, but I'd have been overdosing. Just glad that I didn't need them on the flight.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

They take your hand warmers, but somehow missed the box cutting blade knife my brother had in his carry on two years ago on a trip to Maine. It wasn't until we were in the airport on the way back that he realized he had it. Needless to say he tossed it in a trashcan on the way to security.
    I had to throw away a FORK that was in my purse (from taking lunch to school.. put fork in my purse to take home and forgot about it) at a court house in FL one time. I thought that was a bit extreme... apparently they've had people stabbed with forks in there? I'm curious how their employees eat their lunch in that building.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

All are now presumed guilty and must prove their innocence to the TSA by being stripped naked by them (literally w the new x ray machines). Welcome to the USSR. Oh wait, not the old USSR. It's the new USA.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I had some cuticle cutters taken away once. They were ok on the flight down but some eager beaver in Richmond decided I could bring down an entire aircraft, people and all, with 1/4" cuticle cutters.

Damn, I'm good.

Sorry but any sense disappeared a long time ago.
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

Wasn't that long ago they caught an elderly woman with a steel rod in her leg, I believe. After she set off the alarms, they really gave her a going over. Asked her if she had any gel substances, etc and she said no. Set off more alarms, and they strip searched her to find she did indeed haf gel substances - a breast prosthesiis. Any bets this poor cancer survivor (age 82) had no idea what was in that prosthetic? Air Canada's response was absolute silence for weeks followed by a weak apology from some denizen of the lowest of offices.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I thought the airlines were stupid years ago when this happened.

My uncle was a lifetime member of Delta's old flight club called the "Flying Commodores".
    When they changed it to the "Delta Sky Club" they extended his membership to the Sky Club. Shortly after receiving his documentation they wrote him a letter and told him that his lifetime membership was up. He was 82.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by dghunter View Post
    Sometimes I wonder about them. They didn't catch a 6" knife that my Mom's coworker forgot to take out of her purse
    As someone who used to work for TSA (Several months right out of college while I waited for another job with DHS), believe me when I say you have every reason to be concerned as a lot of the stuff I saw and experienced as a screener is still going on according to the last year's audit. Until my trip to South America last year, I hadn't flown on a plane at all in the years since I worked for them back in 2004/2005. I had a bag with photography equipment that should have been opened and searched (I didn't have anything bad in there but given how it looked on the scanner, it should have been checked nonetheless) and the screeners didn't even look at it when it was on the scanner bed when I went out of the country or when I came back in. Customs was pretty bad too because I had just come back from South America with goods that you're supposed to pay fees on and they didn't bother to check anything I was carrying on me in my bag or scan my declaration of goods to calculate the fees. They simply slapped the paper with the stamp as soon as I put it down and I went on my way. God bless America.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Found this on a site:

As security measures become increasingly drastic, we've put together a list of the ten worst incidents to date.

1. Assault nearly causes brain damage, 2007

Robin Kassner was assaulted by Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screeners and airport police as she attempted to pass through gates to board her flight out of Reagan National Airport with a bottle of contact lens solution in her bag.

Ms Kassner was grabbed and dragged by her arms, slammed onto the ground so vigorously that furniture was knocked everywhere, before slamming her head so hard into the inspection table that it caused concussion and possible brain damage.

She was locked in a cell and later released and charged with obstruction of justice, but thanks to the security footage which captured her assault, she was able to launch a $10 million lawsuit against the airport.

2. Woman forced to remove nipple ring with pliers, March 2008

Airport security guards allegedly forced a US woman to remove her nipple ring with a pair of pliers before she could board a flight from Lubbock to Dallas in Texas. After a hand-held detector beeped when it passed in front of 37-year-old Mandi Hamlin's chest, her explanation that she had nipple rings didn't cut it with the female TSA agent.

The TSA agent allegedly called over her male colleagues, one of whom said she would have to remove the body piercings, but they refused to let her do it in private with the female agent. In tears and in front of everyone, she managed to remove one bar-shaped nipple piercing but had trouble with the second, a ring, and had to use pliers.

Ms Hamlin said she heard the male security agents snickering as she took out the ring, before being scanned again and eventually allowed on the plane.

She demanded a civil rights investigation, with her lawyer alleging that she was "publicly humiliated and has undergone an enormous amount of physical pain to have the nipple rings reinserted because of scar tissue. The conduct of TSA was cruel and unnecessary…the last time that I checked a nipple was not a dangerous weapon."

3. Elderly man left without his pants, 2008

Seventy-one-year-old Robert Perry was ordered to a public inspection area by a Transportation Security Administration officer when he set off airport metal detectors. He began to explain that it was because he had a knee reconstruction, but was ignored and told to take his belt off.

When the officer began to give a pat down, he allegedly did it so vigorously that Mr Perry's pants were pulled down, leaving him standing in his underwear for all to see.

He asked to see a supervisor, only to have the female officer reply by shouting "I have power" over and over again. Mr Perry and his wife were threatened with losing their flight, which was taking them away for their 50th wedding anniversary.

4. Child on terror watch-list, January 2010

Eight year old Michael Hicks has been the target of extra security measures at airports since he was two because his name appears to be among, or closely matches, one of the 13,500 people on the US terror watch-list - people who are singled out for extra airport security.

He is regularly frisked every time he flies and has to see a supervisor whenever he checks in for a flight. On a recent trip to the Bahamas he was frisked on the way out and aggressively searched on the return flight.

In April, the parents of six year old Allison Mosher also found out that she was on the terror watch-list while trying to fly to Phoenix.

5. Child forced to remove leg braces, February 2010

A four-year-old boy on a trip to Disney World was forced to remove his leg braces and walk through a checkpoint completely unassisted at Philadelphia Airport. Ryan Thomas was born 16 weeks prematurely with malformed ankles and low muscle tone in his legs and had only just begun to walk when his braces set off the metal detector.

The screener told his parents to take off the boy's braces despite him being unable to walk without them, and security demanded Ryan walk through on his own.

Spokeswoman for the Transportation Security Administration, Ann Davis, said the boy should not have been told to remove his braces - instead he should have been taken to a private screening area to be swabbed for traces of explosive materials.

6. Child strip searched at airport, November 2010

The strip search of a young boy at Salt Lake City Airport caused outrage amongst fellow travellers, and was captured by Utah Valley student Luke Tait on his mobile phone. Airport staff justified the pat down by saying he had set off the metal detector, which Mr Tait denies happened at all.

7. Pat-down search 'like sex assault', November 2010

A US author and "mummy blogger", Erin Chase, described via her blog in explicit detail how she was violated by a US airport security official at Dayton International Airport, Ohio, who touched her genitals while executing the new "enhanced pat-down" procedure.

She claims she was forced to leave her child in the pram and subject herself to a hands-on screening by a female officer, who "reached from behind in the middle of my buttocks towards my vagina area… felt my inner thighs and my vagina area, touching both of my labia…moved in front of me and touched the top and underneath portions of both of my breasts".

After the examination Ms Chase was in shock, uncontrollably shaking for days afterwards, and has launched legal action - she said was motivated to tell her story to the public because she did not want to remain a silent victim of excesses of government authority.

8. Cancer survivor told to remove prosthetic breast, November 2010

Cathy Bossi, a flight attendant and cancer survivor, was forced to remove her prosthetic breast during an airport security screening on her way to work at Charlotte Douglas International Airport.

She was allegedly taken to a private screening room with two female TSA agents to be given what turned out to be an aggressive pat-down, wherein one of the agents "put her full hand on my breast and said, 'What is this?'. And I said, 'It's my prosthesis because I've had breast cancer.' And she said, 'Well, you'll need to show me that.'"

Ms Bossi has since tried to contact a legal team through her union. The TSA told the station its agents are not supposed to remove any prosthetics and will review the matter.

9. Search leaves traveller covered in urine, November 2010

A man travelling to a wedding was left humiliated, in tears and covered in his own urine after an "invasive" pat-down airport search. Thomas Sayer was selected for the enhanced search after going through a scanner at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.

A bladder cancer survivor, Mr Sayer says the scanner must have picked up his urostomy bag - which collects his urine from an opening in his stomach - and ordered him to be searched. Security officials ignored Mr Sayer when he tried to tell them about his delicate medical condition, and during the pat down they broke the seal on the bag, causing urine to spurt down his clothing. He was left to walk through the airport soaked in urine.

10. Airport staff laugh at woman's breasts, November 2010

A 23-year-old woman is suing the US Government for the emotional stress caused when airport staff allegedly pulled down her top and joked about her breasts in public view. The woman alleges she was singled out for "extended search procedures" while preparing to board a plane to Amarillo, and "as the TSA agent was frisking plaintiff, the agent pulled the plaintiff's blouse completely down, exposing plaintiffs' breasts to everyone in the area…as would be expected, the plaintiff was extremely embarrassed and humiliated," the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit also claims that other employees laughed and made jokes about the incident "for an extended period of time"

Oh
    My
    God

Why is this allowed? When did American's (us too) lose all their rights and lose the right to be innocent until proven guilty?

Well, I guess the terrorists have won. No other explanation.
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

I know Honestly I am not looking forward to flying. I have serious issues with ppl touching me

There is a reason my car has 260,000 miles on it....
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialEffects View Post
    Oh
    My
    God

Why is this allowed? When did American's (us too) lose all their rights and lose the right to be innocent until proven guilty?

Well, I guess the terrorists have won. No other explanation.
    Flying isn't a right. You forfeit your rights when you choose to fly on a private airline. Ergo, the 4th amendment does not apply in these situations.

Having said that, everything being done in the name of security nowadays, is ridiculous, and borderline abusive in many situations.

I've been flying with a lighter for years, even when they were banned. Mine got confiscated in Puerto Rico two weeks ago. Bastards.