The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2011 Workout Streak

Is anyone on any kind of a workout streak starting at the beginning of the year? I am participating in a 100-day challenge with a running email list that I belong to and so far have done some kind of workout (mostly running, but some other stuff on alternate days) every day of 2011. Not sure if I'll make it the full 100 days, but I'm pretty happy that I've at least gotten this far anyway. I'm especially pleased with how my running base seems to be shaping up.

Anyone else doing something similar?
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

My streaks tend to only last a day....
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Yep..actually I started around October of last year, but I have been going to boot camps twice a week, the gym 5 days a week, and running again. I feel great, have increased my running pace (I LOVE doing sprints), and am training for a 1/2 marathon in April. It's addictive!!

I've been doing pretty well! I try to do at least 5 days a week and I'm definitely meeting that goal!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Right now it's a bit easier for me to fit the running in because my horse is in Aiken for the season. Once she's back, I'm going to have a harder time with my schedule. I'm hoping that by then my running program will be solid enough that that will help motivate me to keep going. I'm lucky because I have a gym, locker room, wooded trails, a cinder track and quiet campus drives at work, so there really is no excuse not to get a run in on a lunch hour.
    -Debbie / NH

I started back to the gym in mid-January and things are going well. I've started using RunKeeper on my phone and on the web to track my progress, and I love it! A few of my friends are on my "team" and we share activities with each other. Definitely helps keep me motivated when I see my equally-lazy friends knocking out the miles. Having a lot of fun!

Runkeeper? hmm, what is that, might I ask. I am looking for something to track mileage, since the runs I do now are based on what either our trainer has told us the miles are or what the local park has posted as the mileage..never sure how accurate they are, and since I'm training for the 1/2 marathon, I really would like accurate miles.
    I am lucky that most of the runs I can do are either through beautiful wooded parks, or along the causeways to the beach, with beautiful water/Gulf views (although I admit when I am running I pretty much focus on the ground in my "zone")
    I can't stand having to do more than 1 or 2 miles on the treadmill at the gym - all I do is keep looking at the LCD display.

I am doing a lot of running on the treadmill -- we have had a ton of weather here in New Hampshire this Winter! I find it boring too, but I try to vary each workout, so each day I'm doing something different. Tonight I did a hill program, Thursday I did tempo repeats, the day before that I did a slow and steady run. I find that the TM is much more interesting on the days I do some kind of interval thing, it seems to break up the run mentally a bit for me.
    -Debbie / NH

I started running really regularly this fall and was *loving* it. But, then the snow and ice came and pretty much put the kibosh on the running. Since we can't run, my dog and I have been going for walks, but it's definitely not the same. I can't wait for everything to melt so we can start getting back in shape!
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Quote Originally Posted by Lone View Post
    I started running really regularly this fall and was *loving* it. But, then the snow and ice came and pretty much put the kibosh on the running. Since we can't run, my dog and I have been going for walks, but it's definitely not the same. I can't wait for everything to melt so we can start getting back in shape!
    I started my running program this Fall too and then I fell out of it during the holidays. I think in December I ran all of 4 miles, but I'm really happy to have it going again now. I definitely wanted to take advantage of this time while my horse is gone though. I miss her, but at least I feel that I'm doing something productive in the meantime.
    -Debbie / NH

Default Not running but biking

I signed up to do the Ride to Conquer Cancer. It is a two day cycling event where we will ride from Vancouver to Seattle (260kms or 161.56 miles). Yikes. This is in June and I have been training since December. I am now cycling 4o kms per week, do about 25 kms in one ride on the weekend. I need to be at 60 kms per week by the end of Feb.

I ride my horses 4 days per week and bike 3 days per week. If I can't get out on the bike I go to the gym. I have to make it to the end of June.

This a link to our team page "Pony Up for Cancer"

http://www.conquercancer.ca/site/TR/...eam&fr_id=1371

I started December 11 with a goal of going to the gym every day before work (rather than occasionally after work). I have done fairly well - a week off over Christmas break, and a week off in January due to travel/work issues.

I also started riding 2 horses on a semi-regular basis which means that now I ride basically every day and sometimes twice. I have noticed a huge difference in my cardio stamina, and my riding balance/strength. My gym work-outs are still killing me though!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by heatherny2 View Post
    Runkeeper? hmm, what is that, might I ask.
    It's stinking brilliant, is what it is! The website is at runkeeper.com, and there's an app for iPhones and Android phones. You can use the app to manually record workouts (which is what I do at the gym, on machines) or you can set it to track your distance. It uses the GPS in your phone to calculate how far you've gone, and your speed, and breaks down the statistics. It automatically updates to the website when you complete the activity.

It also has compatibility with Facebook and Twitter, so if you have a group of friends/family doing the exercise thing or want to share your progress, it can also post your activity to one of those. (I have my RunKeeper account synced to Facebook, so it found my friends who are using RunKeeper as well, but I don't allow it to post my activities there.)

There are some paid services and features, but the free version is pretty comprehensive. I dig it!

Shoot, I have a blackberry..unless there is an app for that?? (I totally don't even use all the blackberry apps out there..tech phone deficient here.. )
    Does anyone know of other mileage tracking products?
    Yeah, I love doing sprints on the treadmill cause it breaks up the monotony of just running, and seems to make it go by faster.
    ETA: my shoulders are killing me tonight, our boot camp this morning focused on shoulders..ugh..but it's a good pain

Oooh, I might have to download that app... glad I have a droid!

I've been running since just before I turned thirteen (Dad was a runner) but it was always kinda of a halfassed sort of running. When I became a WS back in May I found out that my trainer is a runner and ever since then I have been running with her and taking it more seriously.

My 2011 semi-joking New Year's Resolution was to get a six pack! So now I'm adding more core and strength workout to the running. My stomach is so sore tonight! So far I've managed to work out at least five times a week, in addition to riding several horses every day.

Even though I'm in the south, often times its dark before I have time to run, so the treadmill is a mainstay for me, alas. I do the usual music and TV, but to make treadmill running more interesting I make up stories about why I'm running (like, away from bad guys or something when my strength is flagging, to boost the adrenaline! Haha). I'm not a dork or anything... ; D

@gortmore - That sounds like a tough ride! Crazy! Good cause though.

I admire you. I can only hope that constant snow shoveling counts? I spent 3 hours yesterday re-arranging the already accumulated snow so when we get more we will have a place to put it...

Yep! Started early January, and have to admit it wasn't really a NY Resolution, but more a goal to increase fitness for my riding. I have been doing 5-6 days per week, tough cardio & strength circuits where I keep my heart rate up by doing sprints, jacks, mountain climbers etc between weight sets. I am lifting HEAVY, and then adding 10-20 minutes of cardio on top of it. I can't believe the difference in my strength on my horse. Due to the weather we have been having "yoga on horseback" type lessons. Working on stretching, bending at waist, two point without stirrups and bareback stuff. I can get up into two point w/o stirrups and bareback SO much easier and longer. I feel amazing. I also stretch good after every workout and have seen a big improvement in my flexibility. I have lost almost 4 lbs and 2% body fat already!

I also mix in a Taebo Advanced or Jackie Circuit video once or twice a week as a workout. The Taebo is major calorie burn and I love Billy Blanks. He motivates me and does abs and butt at the end

It is addictive once you get going. If you work hard and intensely you will get results.

tpup- totally agree with you about the addictive thing. I find exercising is so great in combating stress, and I love the "high" that I get the end of a workout.

In a fit of insanity (bad decision?) I agree to do a sprint triathlon with a classmate of mine. It's been so much fun training for it. I hated swimming growing up (something about my parents forcing me into a cold pool at 7am during swim season) but now that I'm taking it up again, I really enjoy it! I'm too cheap to buy a bike, but the spin classes at the gym are incredibly fun (and a great workout). Sometimes I'll do "bricks" where I'll do two sports in one workout.

I should add that I also run a bit. I'm up to doing 6.2 miles for my long run, and eventually I'll like to do a half marathon and marathon. When the weather gets nicer I'll sign up for a few road races, mostly because I like the food at the finish line

Quote Originally Posted by McLeanHunterRider View Post
    tpup- totally agree with you about the addictive thing. I find exercising is so great in combating stress, and I love the "high" that I get the end of a workout.

In a fit of insanity (bad decision?) I agree to do a sprint triathlon with a classmate of mine. It's been so much fun training for it. I hated swimming growing up (something about my parents forcing me into a cold pool at 7am during swim season) but now that I'm taking it up again, I really enjoy it! I'm too cheap to buy a bike, but the spin classes at the gym are incredibly fun (and a great workout). Sometimes I'll do "bricks" where I'll do two sports in one workout.

I should add that I also run a bit. I'm up to doing 6.2 miles for my long run, and eventually I'll like to do a half marathon and marathon. When the weather gets nicer I'll sign up for a few road races, mostly because I like the food at the finish line
    I love spinning classes! I need to find a way to fit a couple into my week. That and yoga. There are just not enough hours in the day for everything.
    -Debbie / NH

For everyone who's either trying to lose weight or lead a healthier website, I've found sparkpeople.com to be a really helpful website! We have a COTH team on there http://teams.sparkpeople.com/COTHmembers so if you want to join we'd be happy to have you!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations