The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Default The Superbowl is stupid

I have always though it was ridiculous that people like watching men run a few yards and then stand around for fifteen minutes before trying again. Just a really silly sport to get so worked up over. Anybody else think it's really a major dork (neanderthal dorks) sport!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Memememe! I hate football. I swear it's as exciting as watching water boil. Every year people ask what I'm doing for Superbowl Sunday, and every year I say, "Uh, nothing. I hate football."

Give me baseball any day. I'd go to Cubs games all summer and be happy.

While I think its silly, its an excuse to party with our great neighbors. So the party is here tonight and we will have wonderful food, good times and lots of laughs.

Yep, I dislike any sport with a ball.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

It's more exciting than watching baseball...

We are football addicts in my family. It's the biggest football day of the year, so big party this afternoon. If I didn't have a life I'd be glued to the TV all weekend watching games. College is my favorite, but the Superbowl is the big kahuna.

I think I read somewhere that more people call in sick the day after the Superbowl than any other day of the year.

Never have cared for it. Or basketball either which is doubly bad as I now live in Wildcat Country. Oddly enough because the DD is in Band I have to go to some of th games to see her perform and I have been paying attention so at least the High school games are fun to watch! But pro ball is just too, well, pro.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I used to like it, but in hindsight I really think it was more because Dad was a fan and it was a way to spend time with him. Sad, I know.

At some point, though, I got sickened by the "cult of the athlete". I do still love baseball. Basketball's worse with all the hero-worship and thug culture associated with it - plus the season goes on forever.

Fellow football despiser here!!!
    We are, however, having an anti-superbowl party at my house this evening- We're playing Canasta and Scrabble instead!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I'm a huge football fan, it's also mine and my dad's "thing". I grew up with only boys in the neighborhood, so I played what they played.

Equestrian sports can be described equally simplistically, really any sport can be. They're for fun.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Football has been described as the epitome of American culture -

"Mindless violence interrupted by committee meetings"
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

When I was a little girl, my birthday party often fell on Superbowl Sunday. Gift opening happened during halftime. I resented football until my late twenties.

I'm much more excited for the Puppy Bowl.

Really? I *adore* football.

But then I adore contact spports, strength sports, etc.

Probably why I prefer jumpers/speed sports over dressage or hunters.

Rally racing over nascar.

Boxing over synchronized swimming.

UFC over golf.

Rugby over baseball.

How can anyone watch this and be bored?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8vws-BFFwU

Eh, maybe I'm just a neanderthal.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Its a bit like saying all riders do is sit there, baseball players just hit the ball, soccer players just run around kicking the ball, etc.

I may not like or understand football, but I respect those who do. IMHO, liking football is no different then liking riding. It's just hard to appreciate if you don't understand what goes into it. I try to respect other people's interests in sports, even if I don't understand or like them
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I will be a neanderthal right there with you, especially tonight!

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

I watch it for the commercials, although for the most part they were lousy last year.....

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Its a bit like saying all riders do is sit there, baseball players just hit the ball, soccer players just run around kicking the ball, etc.

I may not like or understand football, but I respect those who do. IMHO, liking football is no different then liking riding. It's just hard to appreciate if you don't understand what goes into it. I try to respect other people's interests in sports, even if I don't understand or like them
    I agree with you, Big Grey...

My friends who have visited a horse show and watched people going around and around and around all day long feel about the same way as those who dislike any other sport. If you're not "into" it, then you don't understand the real skill and discipline it takes to be great at it.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

How can anyone watch this and be bored?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8vws-BFFwU
    Because there's no exciting music in the real thing and sometimes you have to wait hours and hours for something exciting to happen (unlike when they're all spliced together in a 3 minute montage). I must admit...I even found the montage boring to be honest but infinitely more interesting then the Dev. Anatomy notes I SHOULD be studying!

Football is definitely not my thing but like others have said I'm a rider (Jumpers so not the most boring aspect maybe but still not super exciting to a lay person) so I can't judge. Puppy Bowl for me today...

I'm just a cheesehead and my horse's barn colors are green & gold, so what do I know?

Then again, I've been known to hiss "What's the score?!" to people with a radio on the rail while I was riding in a class. They were kind enough to update me every time I passed them
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Velvet - I just think of Super Bowl Sunday as big timeout from all the fans. Think about it - you can go any non-football place in the whole country and be sure to be football fan free!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Add me to the list of football haters. I was forced to watch to much of it as a child. That was all that was on TV during weekends when I was a kid...good thing maybe as I did more reading. I just find it boring and ridiculous.

On the other hand, I can watch and enjoy baseball and many other sports...just not football. I'm not a big basketball fan either but I can tolerate it also.

I truly don't care if others watch it but I have no idea who's playing tonight for example. It's just totally off my radar.