The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default News/Television Industry

So who has connections or works in the News or Television industry?

I am looking for media help to highlight an event to benefit in need horses.Event is being planned for end of April/first part of May.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Really?No one?
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Should be easy enough to contact your local TV and radio stations; find out the Events person for each station and have a chat. They are pretty welcoming for registered charities. I will warn you that you may not get someone at this late date - last one I did, we contacted the TV station months in advance to get a slot remotely close to the event.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by ctanner View Post
    So who has connections or works in the News or Television industry?

I am looking for media help to highlight an event to benefit in need horses.Event is being planned for end of April/first part of May.
    I assume you're looking for someone local to you, or some of the folks in broadcasting at my college might be useful.

Though I am curious how many people here are in TV or films. (Particularly if any of them want to hire a fresh-out-of-college PA in a couple more months. )

I work for a national network organization, but I'm on the technical side of things.

If you want help publicizing, you may want to contact a local college or university, and see if they've got some students looking for internship credits or resume experience. Start contacting local news yesterday, ask for the news director at television stations, explain what you've got going on and why it would make a good public interest story.

No,national and or a string of radio,television,newspaper,etc. to spread the word about an event that DGRH,Special Horses,and I are planning.
    I would really like for the media attention to shine a little light on the plight of unwanted,neglected,and abused horses.
    www.ctannerjensen.com

Do you have a webpage or some kind of 'press' pack? One of my profs works for a local network affiliate, and his wife used to be production manager for mornings at a different local network affiliate, so if there's something sort of 'put together' that I could email along, I would be willing to do that.

(We're pretty casual because class sizes are so small, so I know the guy well enough that I'd be willing to send him a 'hey, do you know anyone...?' email, but I wouldn't feel comfortable passing out his contact information directly.) (Actually, I have another prof in the broadcasting department who might also know folks - I don't even know WHO he knows. )

Kdow that is great.As soon as we have the press release we will send it to you!
    www.ctannerjensen.com

I edit videotape for news, but unless you're in my local area I can't do you much good. (And anyone you do find is only going to be able to help you get in touch with their own station or network, as anything else would be a conflict of interest.) You need to contact your local affiliates - national stories are typically picked up via the network contacting the local stations anyway. And honestly, what makes it on can be a crapshoot, especially if it is a weekend event when stations run low staff - if something else blows up or catches on fire on the day of your fundraiser, the crews will more than likely be pulled off of your story.

What you really need is to find someone in PR who can put the word out for you to all media in your area.

Put together a media kit with press release, photos, flyers, etc...whatever you're using to publicize this event, and send it, along with your intentions, to local news organizations. You generally need to have some material to get the ball rolling on something like this.

OP, please clarify:
    • Do you want a media outlet to cover this event and have it on the evening news that night?
    • Do you want a filmmaker to cover the event and make a (short) documentary about it you can later use for fundraising and/or on your website?
    • Do you want someone to come BEFORE the event and film so you can then drum up interest locally/nationally with that pre-event footage?

Also, where will the event take place and when?

Think about your needs and it will be easier to come up with a plan of action. I've worked in television and documentary production for the past 15 years and have found that "lay people" often underestimate the work and effort that go into any given minute of aired programming (okay, that also depends on the channel ) They often don't understand the distribution system of the networks either, and I admit, it's not that obvious. So please give more details and, depending on your location, I may just know someone who knows someone in the right place.

Thank you all for your input.I wanted to ask this while we were having an OT Day.You all have given me some very good information and things to consider.
    www.ctannerjensen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lieselotte View Post
    OP, please clarify:
    • Do you want a media outlet to cover this event and have it on the evening news that night?
    • Do you want a filmmaker to cover the event and make a (short) documentary about it you can later use for fundraising and/or on your website?
    • Do you want someone to come BEFORE the event and film so you can then drum up interest locally/nationally with that pre-event footage?

Also, where will the event take place and when?

Think about your needs and it will be easier to come up with a plan of action. I've worked in television and documentary production for the past 15 years and have found that "lay people" often underestimate the work and effort that go into any given minute of aired programming (okay, that also depends on the channel ) They often don't understand the distribution system of the networks either, and I admit, it's not that obvious. So please give more details and, depending on your location, I may just know someone who knows someone in the right place.
    Quoting this just because it should be read again.

You really need to decide what you want out of the media attention, and if you do want someone to film it for you (as opposed to a news crew turning up with a camera if it's a slow news day and they have no where else to go) the more time they have to plan, the better the final product is likely to be.

(Part of this is because part of the process of working with professionals to get something filmed for your own use SHOULD be discussions on what the final product you want to see actually is - what the message is you're trying to convey, how to best convey it, if there's anything specific you want to see or don't want to see, and that can take some back and forth and budget considerations, etc.)

Keep in mind also that if you're just looking for some local attention, even if the local news companies don't want to cover it on TV, a lot of local news channels have websites now and they're often pretty desperate for content so if you have someone with a decent camera produce some nice looking video, there's a good chance you'll get on the website. (And by nice looking video here I don't mean something professionally edited, just something that doesn't look like it was shot with a cruddy cell phone camera.)

At least around here, they're always trying to get people to go to the news websites, so you might be surprised at how much attention you can get that way.

Oh, and a final note - when producing some kind of informative document to give/send out to try to get people interested in covering this - KEEP IT SHORT. At the very least, the first page should summarize everything and get the message across effectively. If they want to know more they can either read on (if you've supplied more detailed information if that's what they prefer) or they can contact you with questions. If they need to read pages and pages to figure out what you want and what you think is neat about the event, they're just not going to take the time to do it.

Assume the reader for your first page is busy, impatient, underpaid, and in a bad mood. Make it as easy and enjoyable to read as you possibly can.