The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stink bug invasion

How does one go about getting rid of stink bugs ? They are everywhere in the older farmhouse the BF and I rent. Do they have any natural predators ? Seems unlikely since they are armored and emit a horrible smell. Can I feed the ones I squash to my chickens or are they poisionous ? Do any of the otc bug sprays deter them ? They are driving me CRAZY !

Quote Originally Posted by baldfaceboyz View Post
    How does one go about getting rid of stink bugs ? They are everywhere in the older farmhouse the BF and I rent. Do they have any natural predators ? Seems unlikely since they are armored and emit a horrible smell. Can I feed the ones I squash to my chickens or are they poisionous ? Do any of the otc bug sprays deter them ? They are driving me CRAZY !
    I've killed hundreds of the things with Absorbine Ultra Shield. Sprayed where they come in the house in the fall really helps too. The ultra shield is poisonous to cats though so you have to keep it away from any kitties you might have.

They are now coming out of my attic and I sprayed the floor under the french door in my bedroom. I think they are attracted to the light under the blind. I sweep up several dead and dying ones every day.

They aren't poisonous so you can feed them to your chickens (unsprayed ones of course).

Default I read somewhere

that if you burn lavender scented candles or hang lavender bunches it will drive them away. There is a particular insecticide to chemically kill them, but I forget the name. I kill several a day cause I never remember to buy lavender!

Yeah, what's with these stink bugs anyway. We have never had even one - until this year. Now I find one every so often crawling around upstairs. Probably coming from the attic?

I hope they haven't moved in permanently (and that they don't tell their friends!)

Think I'll get some lavender (but if I forget, I do have lavender scented dryer sheets - maybe I'll put a few of them around *just because*).

Ugh I thought this winter would kill them and it DID until we had about 2 60 degree days. Now they're back with a vengeance. *sigh*
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Soapy water kills them. I have so many that I keep cups of soapy water around my house, I catch them in a tissue, only because I'm tired of my hands smelling like the darn things, throw them in the cup of water and at the end of the day I flush the cup and refill it with more soapy water. If I flushed them everytime I caught one I would break my toilet! In the summer I was catching at least 100 a day, now it's down to 40 or 50, but I know they are lurking, just planning their attack and I will wake up one day covered with them and stinking like them !
    DEATH TO ALL STINKBUGS!!!

Me too, I throw out 10 or more a day. I have a leaky old farm house too. I'm afraid I took a few to Aruba in Dec, hiding in a suitcase.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.