The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best SUV and bumper pull trailer combo?!?!

I am trying to decide whether or not to go the truck and gooseneck trailer combo, of which I have had and driven and enjoyed (but had another vehicle at the time to drive when not driving the dually) or go with the more practical SUV and bumper pull trailer.

I only have the money to be driving one vehicle right now. So if I go back to the gooseneck combo, I will be having to drive the truck everywhere, even when not hauling.

If I go with the bumper pull, then I can get a nice SUV that is probably more enjoyable to drive on a daily basis.

But what is better? Does the benefits of the gooseneck system out weigh the luxury of not having to drive a dually around everywhere?

If I go with the bumper pull, I will need a 3 horse slant (preferably with dressing room) so I need a powerful enough SUV to control it - which is what SUV?

Can anyone tell me what they use to pull their 3 horse slant bumper pull trailer?

I was looking at Suburbans, Land Rovers (the Sport or the L3), Tahoes - but need to research their towing capacity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS SO MUCH!
    C. Brooke Cowan
    Over Rabbit Farm

Lapinwood Ponies

I don't like the 3 horse bumperpulls, I think that they are way too long to haul easily and safely. You don't need a dually to haul a gooseneck. My friend has a new Chevy 2500 and hauls a 3 horse slant with dressing room just fine.

Suburban 2500 - very similar to the 2500 pick up.

The others you mention are too light for that trailer. A friend used to tow with a Tahoe and she used a weight distribution hitch AND stabilizer bars (and a 2 horse Kingston, no dressing room). She did OK, but hills were difficult and wind was difficult. And 2 horses were difficult.

Yes, I agree you dont need a dually! It's just if I end up with the truck and gooseneck, I would like a dually. Something about the longbed without the dually looks "lonely" to me! LOL Its just a personal thing.

BUT, I am glad to hear your thoughts on the 3 horse bp being too long to pull safely, I wondered about that.
    C. Brooke Cowan
    Over Rabbit Farm

Lapinwood Ponies

Keep in mind it's not just about towing capacity. Stopping a trailer, especially a bigger one, requires a heavy enough truck with a long enough wheelbase to do it safely under abnormal situations. Even if the smaller/lighter vehicle WILL do it, it's that much more stress on it. Pulling may still be done just fine, though it's going to put more strain on the transmission and engine.

I'm so used to my long bed and regular wheels that I think even a regular bed looks wrong

So a suburban with a 3 horse you think is ok possibly - in your opinion?

After the dually and gooseneck, I had to down grade to my Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2 horse bumper pull. It actually did ok, but I never went into any fields, with foxhunting I will have to, so not sure I would trust the Jeep past flat rds.

But I would think the Range Rover sport would have that in the bag? Thats what they do is tow. Its really just an issue of what it feels like to haul a 3 horse slant bp, I've never done it, so no idea!
    C. Brooke Cowan
    Over Rabbit Farm

Lapinwood Ponies

My expedition (bigger V-8, 5.4 liter) handles by stock/combo trailer fine. I like suburbans a bit better in some ways, but I found a cheap, well maintained, well equipped exped first. You won't have any problems towing a three horse bumper pull with either vehicle, properly equipped, assuming you aren't towing three 2,000 lb drafts.

Drive a trailer rig like that a few times before you make up your mind. That's freakin long. Excursions can haul like a 2500 truck dealers have matrix brochure with tow options for all models
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Ahh! gotchya. Makes sense.
    C. Brooke Cowan
    Over Rabbit Farm

Lapinwood Ponies

I have a 2004 Ford Excursion (V10 6.8L) which I use to haul my 3 horse slant Sundowner. I use a weight distribution hitch and the truck hauls nicely with no issues. It is a 4 X 4 so I have even pulled through some fairly muddy fields (and an ill-timed winter storm) with no problems at all.

As a downside, the rig is very long and requires quite a bit of room to maneuver. I do drive the Excursion as my full time vehicle and the kids are very spoiled by all the extra space. Unfortunately, I am not spoiled by the horrible gas mileage!!!

Jammie

I agree -- 3 horses is too long for a bumper pull and definitely for an SUV. I did that one time -- never again, ugh! But you don't need a dually for a gooseneck, you can put three horses and nice dressing room in it and haul it very well with a 3/4 ton with single rear wheel.

So much depends on the terrain and type of towing. I have a 2 horse Kingston and an F 250. Around here, I could probably pull a 3 horse bumper pull, but if I headed to Vermont (with large mountains), I would be under-trucked. IMHO, I would not want any more than a 2 horse w/out dressing room as a bumper pull. Anymore, and I would go for a goose neck. You just do not have the stability to control all that load, and to stop in an emergency.

Ideally, I would suggest getting a truck and goose neck set-up, and get a small cheap care to drive around town. We had that ideal situation until one of my daughters took out a small tree with my Toyota .

Quote Originally Posted by OverRabbitFarm View Post
    So a suburban with a 3 horse you think is ok possibly - in your opinion?

After the dually and gooseneck, I had to down grade to my Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2 horse bumper pull. It actually did ok, but I never went into any fields, with foxhunting I will have to, so not sure I would trust the Jeep past flat rds.

But I would think the Range Rover sport would have that in the bag? Thats what they do is tow. Its really just an issue of what it feels like to haul a 3 horse slant bp, I've never done it, so no idea!
    The Range Rover sport has the exact same tow rating as your Grand Cherokee, which you already said you do not feel particularly safe hauling in, and that's just with a two-horse.

For the three horse, you need to be looking at the Suburbans/Excursions/Expeditions. The Tahoe is not a safe option either.

I use my Tahoe to pull my 2 horse Sundowner (no dressing room) easily on local trips. I feel like I am at its maximum safe capacity when I am on a major interstate with 2 horses. There is no way I would pull a 3 horse trailer with it. My neighbor pulls her 3 horse slant load Featherlight with a Suburban, and seems happy with that setup. However, she rarely has more than 2 horses and some hay in the 3 horse trailer.

For the 3 horse I'd definitely want the Suburban, and I'd make sure its packed with as much heavy duty towing power as possible. I pull a 2 horse with just a slighly extended front with a 97 Tahoe, which is a tank, but in windy weather I find myself wishing I had that extra wheel base. I also have electronic brakes and plenty of stopping power, but if I ever buy another SUV for towing, it will definitely be a Suburban.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I used to help someone haul, she was terrified to drive with horses in the trailer, she had a suburban and a 3 horse sundowner with dressing room. It hauled just fine, even with her 3 TB's in it. Hills, freeways, ect no issues, there was always plenty of power, both forward and stopping. She did install a brake controller.

I've also hauled a 3 horse Thuro-bilt trailer with a Hummer H2 and my Chevy 3500 Van Conversion RV. All in all the 3 horse is only a few feet longer than the 2 horse. I think it's about 2 feet longer.

I think a Suburban or an Excursion would be your best bet for an SUV, but they are pretty much the same size as a full size truck.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare