The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Culture Shock ;)

So. I've moved to a fabulous, busy eventing barn a couple of days ago. From a small, private, quiet dressage barn with a tiny indoor and a full court outdoor. Which means: mostly you're riding by yourself or maybe one other horse... Today was the first day I was attempting to ride my sometimes a little wild 4 yo with 5 other riders (including one adorable little girl doing a fantastic job with her pony!) in the large arena, which also has some jumps. My initial thought was: OMG -- I can't ride here. I have to look where I'm going? Pay attention? What if I run into somebody???

Then I took a look at that little girl and my mare (who was behaving perfectly) and thought I better get over myself . So I gave people a heads up to let me know if I was in their way, and everyone was super friendly. My mare did GREAT (much better than I did initially), and we had a very good, productive W/T/C ride. She was so happy to be in a big arena and be able to really go forward!

We navigated around everyone and the jumps (glad we have the steering part pretty much down now ). And I had to not stare and her neck and look and plan ahead. This is going to be SO good for both of us.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Love it. I ride alone most of the time & I'm almost dangerous when I ride in a group because I never watch where I'm going I have that looking at the neck problem too.

Jackie

Good for you! I have always been used to navigating a crowded arena, but know many people that are not and can understand how unnerving and overwhelming it could be. What a great attitude to have. (Since tone can be hard to read over the internet, let me just say I'm being totally serious!)

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

That's great, I'm glad the ride went so well! : D Riding in a group is GREAT for both you and your horse! I have the same stare at the neck problem, and since I often ride alone I have to really remind myself all the time to pretend I am not alone.

Plus as nice as it is to have the whole arena to yourself, its fun to be with other riders! I hope you have a wonderful time at your new barn!

LOL, I am in the same boat as the OP. I usually keep my mare (Ottb, 13 going on 4 at times) at a friend's backyard barn where I ride mostly alone or just with my friend.

Winter in New England being as it is, I try to get a stall at the big eventing barn (about 40 horses) so I can keep riding through the winter. This year I got lucky and they had a stall for my mare! But that means that my horse has to get used to the commotion all over again. It only takes a few days for her to adapt, but it's really quite interesting in the beginning!

Just as an example...the other day, we got in the indoor. There was a horse being longed at each end, one of them farting and bucking with the human loudly commenting / scolding. There were 3 other riders. There was a stadium course set up. There was a little horse gallopping outside pulling 2 people on a sled (which we could see through the big indoor's back door).

We still managed to get a decent ride! It's great desensitization, and my horse for the most part loves this place.

Now I'm just waiting for all the snow and ice to come sliding off the indor's roof while we're riding inside....lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I find, at least with my guy, that my horse is better with other horses in the ring. He focuses much more on me because I have to guide him around everyone. That and he can't get away with half the crap he wants to pull!

May you have many more fun group rides!

I find dressage people the EASIEST to ride with...
    I can usually figure out where they are going...

hunters are much harder for me because I can never figure out why exactly they are trotting around straight!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I find dressage people the EASIEST to ride with...
    I can usually figure out where they are going...

hunters are much harder for me because I can never figure out why exactly they are trotting around straight!
    Hehe, but dressage people on a green baby?? She and I sometimes have different opinions on the direction of travel .
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Just as an example...the other day, we got in the indoor. There was a horse being longed at each end, one of them farting and bucking with the human loudly commenting / scolding. There were 3 other riders. There was a stadium course set up. There was a little horse gallopping outside pulling 2 people on a sled (which we could see through the big indoor's back door).
    Sophie, I would want to board there too! Sounds like a blast. Is there wine involved with any of these activities?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    \"Let the civilized world go to the devil! Long live nature, forests, and ancient poetry.\" --Theodore Rousseau

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    At least you can assume the hunters will continue to go forward. The WP style riders you never know when they are going to stop and back up (which drives me crazy on so many levels.)

I can understand both sides. There are days when all I really want a quiet, solo ride and othet times when I'd enjoy some company, especially when other riders of my age are around. Nothing like late afternoon sunlight creeping through the windows and slats in a silent arena to relax you and nothing like a friend or two to cheer you on and bring out your competitive side when jumping.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.