The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Questions for Owners of iPads

Ok, I've pretty much decided I'm going to add a tablet computer to my stash of electronics. I am planning to wait for the iPad2 release, at this point. (Expected in April -- my birthday is also in April, so I'm hoping to get one as a gift!)

But, while I'm making sure that is the one I want, I'd like to know what drawbacks folks that have them have found. Most people say that the lack of flash is the biggest thing -- but what I'd like to know is when/how much do you run into that? For instance, how often do you find yourself frustrated because you can't access a flash powered feature, and are there workarounds for it?

Thanks!!

Libby (who tends to overresearch EVERYTHING)
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

My SO has an Ipad, and I use it constantly. Although I don't notice the flash problem often, I do have a computer that I can use. I honestly cannot think of any drawbacks. The apps rock and the keyboard is easier to use than I thought it would be - trust me, I was a HUGE ipad doubter before he got his, and now I LOVE it.

No flash is a PITA.

Not bring able to hook my flip or camera right to it... A PITA.

Little odds and ends, but mostly I love, love love it.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I've got one, and I love it. Easier to read books on than my old'ish Kindle, great for web browsing (I mainly just read forums, so no issue with flash), waaaayyy too many fun games. I say get one.

Bensmom is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

EqTrainer -- where do you mostly run into problems where you are frustrated without access to flash?

And, I read a LOT on the computer now -- I really like the idea of being able to get my google reader feed on something that is easier to hold and read, while sitting at the airport, or on the couch or in the bed.

One of the reasons I want to wait for the 2 is that it is going to have an SD card slot, supposedly, and I can upload straight from the camera card that way. Pictures is one of the main things I am looking forward to!

Thanks and can't wait for more input!
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Well, I have to look at videos of horses and a lot of websites require flash. I would say I run into it as an issue at least once every three days. As far as I know, there is no way to get around it but I am useless with that stuff.

SD slot, yes, a big deal.

Did you know that if you need a new battery you pay about $100 and get a whole new IPad?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I got one for Christmas. I don't love it. I do love my iPhone, but I find the iPad awkward to use. It's fine for web surfing, but God help you if you actually want to DO something on it -- like type an e-mail. Total pain in the butt. I'd rather have a laptop.

Hubby and I each have one..... LOOOVE them!

We put Slingbox on ours..... Love being able to watch whatever I want in bed!! Lol. Hubby also had the dilemma of us having to drive home to Va from Ct. on New Years day. Would have entailed missing the winter classic hockey game and football playoffs. Solution? iPad with Slingbox, mi-fi in the car and voilĂ , live streaming video on I-84!!
    Cold Spring Farm
    German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

Love mine, only downside was I had to go to a larger purse because I take it everywhere with me. It is not a replacement for a computer. I love it for email on the go, great apps and I read books on it all the time.

I still can't justify the iPad purchase, as I really do hate the lack of flash capabilities on my iPhone (this is TRULY a problem for anyone using the internet for diverse purposes on a regular basis), and would find it even more annoying if it were a larger device that were more tempting to use for browsing on a regular basis.

That being said, I just got the new 4GB/256GB, 2.13 GHz MacBook Air. I am IN LOVE WITH THIS COMPUTER. It weighs about 2.5 lbs, is less than an inch thick, and has completely replaced my old Macbook as my daily computer. I got the superdrive in order to have the CD drive, but haven't used it for anything yet. It has a solid state harddrive like the iPad (no moving parts), uses flash memory, and it's the fastest computer I've ever used. For reference, I am working on reformatting a 550 page Excel spreadsheet that's quite sizable. It takes about 2 seconds to open, and there's absolutely no lag in processing when I'm working on it. When I turn this computer on, it takes less than 10 seconds to power up and connect to the internet. If it's in "sleep mode", it's "awake" by the time the lid is fully opened up. INSANE.

It was pricey (After tax, I paid about $1800), but I have absolutely ZERO buyer's remorse. Anyone looking for a fast, EXTREMELY portable, highly capable computer should absolutely look into the MacBook Air. It will replace your old laptop, and is only slightly larger than the iPad (the 11" version is even more portable).
    Here today, gone tomorrow...