The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best bed sheets? Thread count and yada, yada

Thank God for OT day!

Done the interwebz research and gotten the general advice. Now I need the real stuff. What are your specific recommendations?

We are talking cotton.

We are talking the sheets that feel heavy, cool and smooth when you get in bed. We are talking the quality that was standard issue when my grandmother was in charge of such things.

So I understand you can jack up the thread count to 1,200 when you thin out the thread and use short staple cotton. But that's not what actually feels good and lasts, right?

So what is a reasonable number and a brand you all afficiondados like?

No, I don't want to spend $300 on 'em.

Thanks!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thread count can be manipulated by a number of factors that make the actual sheet not as soft as it "should feel."

Egyptian Cotton.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Egyptian, Pima or batiste cotton.

Do look for a higher thread count, but not necessarily in the huge numbers. best bet is to feel the material.

I used to not spend the extra on higher thread count, better material sheets thinking it was a waste of money. Until the time I found a 750 thread count pima cotton sheets in the right color in a clearance bin and bought them. OMG...I guess there is a difference, LOL!

Good sheets do cost a lot. But careful shopping means you can find the really good sheets for really decent prices. I paid $70 for a queen set (topm fitted and cases) that was regularly $400 on that first set.

Check the sales bins in stores like Bed Bath and Beyond and definitely check online by googling for higher quality sheets. With the internet it's so much easier to save and find good bargains.

And for cold weather sheets...look into the flannel and now they have fleece sheets. Heaven on icy nights. Not so good if you get night sweats/hot flashes though, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post

Check the sales bins in stores like Bed Bath and Beyond and definitely check online by googling for higher quality sheets. With the internet it's so much easier to save and find good bargains.
    Got mine at Kohls.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I know the kind of sheets you are talking about, I want them too.

The crispy, heavy, cold kind.

Let me know where you find them!!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Costco!

Weird, right? But my two favorite sets of sheets came from Costco. The first is a flannel set, and the other is some organic bamboo-derivitive something that don't pill and feel just as good if not better than might high count cotton sheets from Macy's.

Also, way cheaper!
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

My MIL brings them from france. They are almost like linen... God I love good sheets! Good flannel washed a million times works, too.

Thanks MVP now I want to go to bed...
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Sateen finish on a reasonably high thread count is awesome. (Ultra high thread counts aren't always the smoothest and softest on their own.)

Overstock.com ! I bought fantastic 1000 count cotton sheets there for something like $60. They ship for free and the quality is obvious.
    Edited to add I love the quality of linens in Europe, that is one of the few things I'll spend money on there, my guest bedroom has Irish bed linens.
    But for me ??? Overstock. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    Got mine at Kohls.
    The Chaps brand by Ralph Lauren. OMG - I buy a set everytime they're on sale and I have a 30% off coupon! They have extra deep pockets, and they feel oh so heavenly! If you wait for a sale, the queen set is usually around $80 and if you are lucky and get a 30% coupon - woo hoo! Score! I think they are 800 tc.
    Cindy

Palais Royale sheets
    Cuddledown catalog has good sheets
    sometimes a "Tuesday Morning" overstock shop has good sheets, be sure and open the package and check to make sure the sheets are all the correct size and pattern. Ask me how I know that last one..

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderluster View Post
    Overstock.com ! I bought fantastic 1000 count cotton sheets there for something like $60. They ship for free and the quality is obvious.
    Edited to add I love the quality of linens in Europe, that is one of the few things I'll spend money on there, my guest bedroom has Irish bed linens.
    Ditto Overstock! I've gotten some great deals on bedding on there. I think mine are only 800, but were really reasonable, haven't paid more than maybe $50 for the set. The selections of colors can be a little odd sometimes, but you can get some great deals.

You guys rock!

More education: It's "cheating" when you use shorter cotton fibers, wind those together into a 2- or 4-ply thread. There is no industry standard for measuring thread count. Weaves like sateen make the top of the sheet feel smoother, whatever it's material.

More questions: I like to buy my sheets in "parts" not sets, as I sleep under a duvet. Where to find that? It looks like you can only buy sets at Overstock.com.

Do you have a great duvet cover source?

Good to know about Europe. If I'm ever there and money is burning a hole in my pocket, I'll be sure to look at sheets.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Be careful about buying sheets, pillow covers and duvet covers in Europe as they don't have the same sizing as in the US.

Right now, just reading "heavy, cold cotton sheets" makes me shiver. Up here in Maine, I have a heated mattress pad under my flannel fitted sheet, a flannel sheet and a warm, lofty duvet on top. Ahhhh, heaven! The duvet cover comes from Ikea. May not be top quality but it's all cotton, decent quality and very, very cute compared to what you can find in US stores.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderluster View Post
    Ditto all of this!!! And where do you buy your Linen. I've found Fergusson's, but do you have a better and less expensive source (probably not!)
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Garnet Hill has some nice heavy cotton sheets. Thre thread count is not that high, but the sheets are nice. Prints are cute too, and they have a good clearance section.

My newest set of sheets were Ralph Lauren from Macy's:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...3D1%26spc%3D12

Love them!

I can't feel the material myself through the interwebz. Do you guys have trusty brand recommendations?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I have a really deep mattress and HATE when corners pop up. These are great sheets!: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...?sku=16827622&

Read all the reviews. Haven't had a single popped corner. They also feel soft and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Thank God for OT day!

Done the interwebz research and gotten the general advice. Now I need the real stuff. What are your specific recommendations?

We are talking cotton.

We are talking the sheets that feel heavy, cool and smooth when you get in bed. We are talking the quality that was standard issue when my grandmother was in charge of such things.

So I understand you can jack up the thread count to 1,200 when you thin out the thread and use short staple cotton. But that's not what actually feels good and lasts, right?

So what is a reasonable number and a brand you all afficiondados like?

No, I don't want to spend $300 on 'em.

Thanks!
    For cotton, go with 100% Egyptian Cotton. As for the thread count manipulation. Make sure that the product you buy is Single Ply (1-ply) . You can read this blog to get more info about ply effects, the thread count facts and what to look for to avoid this short fiber manipulation.

Best of luck in your search, or hopefully you found a good quality bed sheets set by now
    Le Caire Linens