The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sinus infection woes.

Alright. So i've got this terrible sinus infection. And two major problems with it. Significant other says I snore too much for him to remain in bed with me (not normally a snore-er, I think). I also cannot here because I can't equalize (sp?) the pressure in my ears. Help? I'm taking augmentin and omnaris and ibuprofen and mucinex dm. I am so sick of being sick!

If you can take it, Sudafed (the stuff behind the prescription counter) will make you feel like a person again. You might not sleep...but it really clears the head.

First time I had one, the doctor told me to take double the dose (4 pills instead of two), but check with your doctor about dosing.

We were on vacation and, not only did I feel miserable, but I actually got lost going from the elevator to our room. It was two left turns. Scary.

Sudafed made me feel like a new person.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Much as I don't like to go to the doctor, when I get a sinus infection now, I simply GO and request Levaquin NOW.....Works great! Expensive (I think it was $45 for a 10 day treatment WITH health insurance picking up part of the tab).

Go thee and get them to give you some! I can't stand not being able to breathe and having green stuff comin out....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yep, levaquin
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Azithromycin. It is a 5 day treatment that does the job. It will take a few days beyond that to feel in tip-top condition, but really, it works just great! You need to see your doctor to get it.

I also take long warm sowers, use a decongestant, drink a lot of herb tea, and sleep on an elevated pillow. Ibuprofen to alleviate the swelling and the headache helps, too.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by DeucesWild11 View Post
    Alright. So i've got this terrible sinus infection. And two major problems with it. Significant other says I snore too much for him to remain in bed with me (not normally a snore-er, I think). I also cannot here because I can't equalize (sp?) the pressure in my ears. Help? I'm taking augmentin and omnaris and ibuprofen and mucinex dm. I am so sick of being sick!
    You have my empathy. I have the augmentin, ibuprofen, gentamycin, guaifenesin, and I'm rinsing sinuses for the major sinus infection, eye infection, and probable strep throat. I'm sure you can agree it makes for a fun week. How long have you been fighting the infection? (hoping this will end sooner than later)

I am very tired of being sick, but on a good note I've cleared a lot of my dvr'd shows.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Z-pack does nothing for me....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Just wanted to offer my sympathy! My sinus infections always go into my ears and eyes and then a throat ulcer and nothing is more miserable. People think you just have a cold and you don't quite get the sympathy of the flu....so here is mine! Amoxicillin (sp?) is what I take for the ear infection part of it. Works well and I have no side effects.

Two words: Neti Pot

Yeah, it isn't particularly pleasant to use but last year when I got a sinus infection that lasted 6 weeks and was treated over that time with 8 different medicines (including double dose steroids) it was the Neti Pot that finally got me sane again.

LaurieB, I use my neti pot regularly (using hydrogen peroxide, tea tree, usnea, grapefruit seed extract-and salt of course - you name the combination I did it), and did so all last winter and this, but STILL couldn't rid myself of the green rocks in my nose....only the Levaquin did it.

I suggest OP go to the doctor and just get the good stuff!
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Make sure you're sleeping with the windows open, at least a crack, and get the biggest humidifier you can find. You need to get moisture into your sinus membranes. Can you go to a health club that has a steam room?

Fresh air is key. Deep-seated infections need 14 days of antibiotics, regular amoxicillin should work fine as long as you take ALL of it. And you need to be taking sudafed or another strong DECONGESTANT with it. Don't drive on sudafed!!!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I went to the Dr, and got the Augmentin/Omnaris. I also have some zpacks left over, but I don't really want to double up on antibiotics... I asked the SO to go grab me some sudaphed, and sadly he came back with Robutussin. Oh jeeze! lol. I am currently on day 5 of this crap with finals quickly approaching and CANNOT WAIT TO BE RID OF THIS THING!!

You really don't want to be messing around with antibiotic combinations unless the doctor tells you to. If it doesn't clear up soon, get thee to an ENT. It's what they do.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I went to the Dr, and got the Augmentin/Omnaris. I also have some zpacks left over, but I don't really want to double up on antibiotics... I asked the SO to go grab me some sudaphed, and sadly he came back with Robutussin. Oh jeeze! lol. I am currently on day 5 of this crap with finals quickly approaching and CANNOT WAIT TO BE RID OF THIS THING!!
    At least your SO is there for you, my DH is out of town for business and there's no one to go get me anything or fix me "get well" dinners. I would really like some mac'n'cheese right now. And you may have noticed I've reached the whiney stage. I have to find some humor in this somewhere.

Sounds like we're at about the same stage of this crap and I cannot wait to be rid of it either. I'm going to guess that my students are tired of subs and might even appreciate having me back to teach, and I am stressing about how to get caught up from the last four days I missed work. Again, the whiney stage of, "why aren't I better yet?" is evident.

At least we have an OT day to distract us.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    You really don't want to be messing around with antibiotic combinations unless the doctor tells you to. If it doesn't clear up soon, get thee to an ENT. It's what they do.
    I completely understand, which is why before I take ANYTHING, be it an antibiotic or ibuprofen, I check with my dad or my uncle, my dad is a pharmacist and my uncle is a pediatrician.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanely Eccentric View Post
    At least your SO is there for you, my DH is out of town for business and there's no one to go get me anything or fix me "get well" dinners. I would really like some mac'n'cheese right now. And you may have noticed I've reached the whiney stage. I have to find some humor in this somewhere.

Sounds like we're at about the same stage of this crap and I cannot wait to be rid of it either. I'm going to guess that my students are tired of subs and might even appreciate having me back to teach, and I am stressing about how to get caught up from the last four days I missed work. Again, the whiney stage of, "why aren't I better yet?" is evident.

At least we have an OT day to distract us.
    I'm totally in the whiney stage. We had a snow day at school (my school has not had one in 30 years, im in college) and I literally slept the whole day. So, while everyone was sledding, etc, I was being sick. Super lame.

I'm totally in the whiney stage. We had a snow day at school (my school has not had one in 30 years, im in college) and I literally slept the whole day. So, while everyone was sledding, etc, I was being sick. Super lame.
    So unfair. I totally understand.

On a good note, my Airedale cross (rescued him at 18 months old and he came with some odd baggage) has quit panicking when I sniffle. Nothing like constant desensitization.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanely Eccentric View Post
    So unfair. I totally understand.

On a good note, my Airedale cross (rescued him at 18 months old and he came with some odd baggage) has quit panicking when I sniffle. Nothing like constant desensitization.
    Ahh! How funny! He is nearly bombproof!

My trick - go get a facial. Heat + massage helps break everything loose. Otherwise just heat up some damp wash cloths in the microwave and pack your face.
    ---------------------------
    University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2012
    Member of the Asthmatic Riders & "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" cliques

Yes, heat DOES melt the "goop" so it can drain OUT of your sinuses. Instead of external heat, you can apply INTERNAL heat by drinking anything hot.

To keep sinuses clear, avoid drinking cold things, as yoursinuses are very close to the roof of your mouth and cold makes the goop inside thicker, si it doesn't drain normally, while heat thins it.