The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pity Party!!!

I woke up at 5:30am Wednesday morning with a little bit of stomach pain. I took some maalox and some gas-x and tried to go back to sleep. As the morning wore on the pain got worse so around 9:30 I went to the local urgent care place. They pulled blood but would not give me any pain meds because they were afraid I would feel better and go home. Blood results come back and I am told to go to the ER.

Get to the ER around noon. Luckily they were pretty empty so they got me right in. I am a volunteer EMT so I spend a lot of time in this ER but not as the patient! In walks the Dr who is also from my fire station. Awkward? Not as long as he has drugs with him! By now I have been in agony for about 6 hours!

They give me a big cup of dye to drink to prep for my CT. Good thing since I haven't had anything to eat or drink since Tuesday evening. I wait an hour and a half for the dye to get to the places it needs to be then go for my CT. First time with IV contrast. WOW, is that a weird feeling!

Back to my room to await the results. The verdict is acute appendicitis. Off to emergency surgery! By now my cell phone was dead and my hubby was off caring for the horses for me so I had to borrow a phone to tell him what was going on. They wisked me away so I didn't even know where to tell him to go.

For some reason they are prepping me in the hallway. Heck I don't care, as long as the drugs keep coming they can do whatever they want. I am taking my jewelry off while the nurse is scrubbing my belly. I get all but one earring off when they put the pulse ox on my finger. So the surgeon is attempting to take off the one remaining earring very unsuccessfully. I keep telling him ITS A SCREW! I told him his lack of ability to operate a screw was not very reassuring. He laughed and said "it shouldn't be!" The last thing I remember is them asking me to describe my husband so they would know him in the waiting room. All I could think to say is "he is good." Which is true but not very descriptive.

Surgery went well, I guess they had trouble waking me up whatever that means. I had a lot of vomiting before and after that only responded somewhat to the meds. They kept me pretty comfortable otherwise. I came home late Thursday night.

So no riding for who knows how long. I had to turn three horses away to train for at least a couple of weeks but all in all it could have been worse.

Oh my.....well, at least it is wintertime so not a lot to do outdoors anyway. Find a good book or three.

And yeah...coulda been worse.....husband of one of the gals that works at the local assisted living facility lost his job about 2 months back and with it their health insurance (COBRA too much for her check to cover). Got air-lifted to Reno with acute appendicitis about 2 weeks ago....chopper flight alone is over $25K. He's doing well but their bank accounts sure took a hit.

Wow, that stinks. But since we're having a pity party I'd like to say, I'm not sure what's worse - appendicitis surgery or the pain caused by the amount of shoveling and roof raking.

I'm only kidding....

I'd way rather have appendicitis!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad your surgey went well!

Jeez! You deserve all the pity you can get, I hope you get healed up uneventfully, and get lots of nice pain meds! Jingles for the hubby too, hoping he has an easy time keeping on with you down for the count!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I had an emergency one too, in the 80's. I remember being really happy that I was going to surgery, that is how bad it hurt, even after it had burst.

Was in the hospital for some time afterwards due to peritonitis.

So glad you made it thru ok. It sucks to be stuck at home resting but hey...it could have been much worse... Thank god it wasn't.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I don't know if you guys know this but I had a bladder sling surgery done in November so I wouldn't pee myself when I sneezed or laughed or jumped a down bank etc. Things with the bladder itself went fine but somehow during the surgery they messed up my hip. I couldn't walk at all for two weeks and it was over a month before I was relatively comfortable. So I was just getting back into the swing of things. I had been back riding for about a month and doing really well. My horse is 23 so who knows how much longer we have together. Any time I miss is time I won't get back. Oh well, it could have been worse. Thanks for letting me vent!

Too bad they didn't just yank the appendix then, huh?
    It does seem like forever
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    I had an emergency one too, in the 80's. I remember being really happy that I was going to surgery, that is how bad it hurt, even after it had burst.

Was in the hospital for some time afterwards due to peritonitis.

So glad you made it thru ok. It sucks to be stuck at home resting but hey...it could have been much worse... Thank god it wasn't.
    Yeah I didn't care if I went to surgery or not as long as they kept the drugs coming. Thank God it hadn't ruptured. I remember the Dr yelling at them to hurry up. He said she is going to rupture and grow a new one if you guys don't hurry up! I wasn't allowed anything but ice chips for the first 24 hours either but that's ok.

Default Major Jingles for you and your health ~

OMG ~ You have had a tough road since November

Jingles for you to feel better soon

Jingles for your "good" health to return
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

What Zuzu said ... feel better soon Laurierace!!!

Get well soon - I guess it could have been worse if it had happened during the summer months when the riding is the best.....I dunno - just looking for a silver lining in my own lame way.

Quote Originally Posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
    Oh my.....well, at least it is wintertime so not a lot to do outdoors anyway. Find a good book or three.

And yeah...coulda been worse.....husband of one of the gals that works at the local assisted living facility lost his job about 2 months back and with it their health insurance (COBRA too much for her check to cover). Got air-lifted to Reno with acute appendicitis about 2 weeks ago....chopper flight alone is over $25K. He's doing well but their bank accounts sure took a hit.
    This is a long shot but if he is still in his election period for the COBRA he MIGHT be able to convince the hospital or air ambulance to pay the COBRA premium payment. It is in their best financial interest to do so. I have seen hospitals and Medicaid pay for peoples COBRA. (Normally for individuals with HIV, cancer, pre-mature baby)

If he only lost his job 2 months ago he likely is still in his election period. The employer has 30 days to notify him. He has 60 days from the notification date to elect and 45 days after election to pay the initial premium.

OP- feel better soon.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

On the bright side, I was on foal watch this time last year. My mare is due in April this year. THAT would have been a mess!

Laurie-you are so ungrateful. How many people get two nice vacations in one year? But seriously, I hope you heal quickly, and I'm glad that with today's medical techniques you were treated before it ruptured. Heal quickly, and soon you'll be back to your normal, hectic life.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Glad your surgery went well, and hope you are feeling better soon!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! It does help to get it all out there for all to see. It might even be humorous if it happened to someone else...

Be SO thankful your appendix didn't rupture! My DD was in the hospital for surgery this winter, and her roommate was a poor girl whose appendix had burst. She was in horrible pain - she had been in the hospital for two weeks while they tried to get the infection under control so they could operate. I felt terrible for her.

Sounds like you've had your share of bad stuff.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Phew...just in the nick of time! Glad you went to get it checked.

Don't even know why evolution hasn't caught up and rid us of that useless appendix.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I am thankful for that. I am also thankful that they were able to wake me up because it sounded like they were pretty concerned about it at the time. They mentioned it as soon as I woke up so I wasn't alert enough to ask any questions about what they meant specifically and what that means if God forbid there are any more surgeries in my future. I also had a lovely, huge private room. I don't know if I got preferential treatment for being a volunteer or if that is all they had but it was very nice. The nurses were all great too except they took three tries to get the catheter in. My bladder was still sensitive from the surgery in November and went on strike for the first 16 hours or so afterwards.