The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quarter sheet opinions

It's finally time to upgrade my old quarter sheet. I can't decide to go with the standard under-the-saddle version or the newer style that folds over the rider's legs and fastens in front of the rider somehow (never seen one in person, just pictures).

I like that you can take it off really easily once warmed up, but how much do they flap around?

Thanks!

I like the ones with the hole in the front for the rider. The one that I used in the past just had heavy duty Velcro that closed the front, so you could detach the pieces and take it off. You could just as easily put it under the saddle to use it like a conventional sheet, so long as you were also using a saddle pad so that the horse has some protection. I think that the over the leg option is more versatile, just check out the one you buy so that you can be sure that the seams and closures are conducive to both uses. (i.e. no big bulky seam that would make it uncomfortable used underneath)

H-
    I bought the wrap around style from Tack of the Day. I didn't know it was wrap around till I put it on and good grief, how is this thing supposed to fit?! I had some amusing emails with the TOTD Geeks and Geekettes and learned how to use the thing. So here's my take. In New England in the winter, riding outside every day, chances are good you'll want the traditional size and shape bc you won't want to take the thing off your horse!

If you're going South, then maybe the fitted one. Yes, you wear the fitted one over your thighs and do it up around your waist and yes you can easily take it off without getting off. You can also put it on and put the flappy wrap-around sections under your saddle flaps and still do up the velcro in front of the saddle over the wither. Wearing it around your waist helps the sitting trot. Under the flaps allows for posting/2-point. If you're getting fleece, be sure to use a healthy dose of Show Sheen and dryer sheets or the static will get you get bucked off when you pull the thing off. -P
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

My theory is that if it is cold enough to need a quarter sheet, then I use a traditional one under my saddle.

At the moment, I am making polarfleece quarter sheets as a side business. I love that they are easily washable. And you can avoid the static by just drying them in "air" (no heat) for a minute or two.

I have the rambo one - http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...4&cm_vc=Search

I really like it, easy to take off once you are warmed up and it doesn't move.... plus I think its pretty It attatches infront of the saddle with velcro.

I have the one that goes around the rider (I believe its a Rider's International). What I do with mine is when I first get on and am warming up at the walk on really cold days I wrap it around my legs. When I'm ready to trot or if its not that cold I take the sides, pass them under the flap (guess this wouldn't work with a monoflap LOL), and then fasten it in front of the saddle. Then once I warm up I can take it off easily but it is still under the saddle while I am using it and it doesn't constrict the movement of my legs. I usually take it off once I'm warmed up but I also jump in it on really cold days.

My only complaint with this is that it doesn't fit under the flap and around the front of the saddle very well on my dressage saddle. My jumping saddle is fine but it is also a 16. I suggest if you are going to buy this kind and have a saddle bigger than about 16.5 you get an XL or Oversize quarter sheet.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Hands down this is the best one I've ever owned. I got one through BoB but if you order here you can pick more colors!

http://www.thermatex.co.uk/thermatex...rug-723-0.html

It is the kind that you can take on and off while still sitting on the horse (or at least without taking your saddle off depending on your horse!).

ETA: These are the only ones that I've found are big enough to fit like a traditional one but have the convenience of the of the other style plus they wick away sweat and are very warm.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Feb. 5, 2011 at 03:59 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I second the Rambo Newmarket fleece quarter sheet! It's wonderfully thick and sturdy, I love the color and I can put it under my saddle flaps or over my thighs. I keep mine on the whole ride, has never moved or slid around like others have.

I have a wool "show" cooler (doesn't cover his neck), so when I'm cooling him off I detach the tail strap on the quarter sheet and throw it over his neck to keep him toasty. Love it! I found mine on eBay (large for a 16.2 TB) for $40, it had only been used once.

This is the one I have

ETA: I forgot to say that I really like this quarter sheet because the cut is such that my lower leg does not touch it, I find quarter sheets that cover the "heel area" annoying. That's totally personal preference though =P

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

I had a Saratoga one that went over my legs and Velcroed in front of me. Sometimes I would just run it under the flap and not over my legs. It worked pretty well both ways. I ended up selling it because my old mare hated it, but I miss it! It looked brand new even after 5 years of pretty heavy use.
    RIP Charlie and Toby

Adventures

I have the wrap-around, but I put it on over the saddle pad and under the saddle. Then if I want to take it off, it is easy.

I have the same one as BFEN. Check on ebay they are selling for $99! Really love and they are super easy to take off if you need to but I find with the thermatex the horse doesn't get too hot so I don't need to take it off.

Does anything look better than the orange and striped Whitney wool blankets the racehorses use galloping on the Downs in England?

Yes, foxtrots, they are gorgeous, aren't they?
    I have a horse that has always objected fairly strenuously to a quarter sheet. The flapping does us IN. I wonder, you quarter sheet guys, do yours have weights in the back seams to keep them down around the horse's quarters? Or are they just heavy?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ake987 View Post
    ETA: I forgot to say that I really like this quarter sheet because the cut is such that my lower leg does not touch it, I find quarter sheets that cover the "heel area" annoying. That's totally personal preference though =P

I was taught how to fold it up so that the heel area is always free. You just have to make sure to keep it smooth so you don't feel a lot under your leg. But the cut awa ones can be nice. Still love the thermatex best though
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

My hands down favourite is Dover's climatex sheet. I LOVE that thing, always at the perfect temperature and super breathable so you don't have to take it off - the horse never gets too hot.

I have the cutaway one from Rider's. I love it!. I use it most on really days when I am riding bareback cause it's too cold for tack. On windy days it does flap around a bit, thankfully my horse is ok and doesn't freak over it.

I have the Rider's Coolex cut away rug and I like it a lot. It is a little heavy so it doesn't flap and it doesn't have any static. I use it either under the saddle flaps or over my legs.

I usually do my warmup in it and take it off, and it is possible to take off w/out getting off.

I find the sizing to be a little large, but it really doesn't cause me any problems.

Thank you!! All kinds of ideas!

This started with the Thermatex's were on TOTD but I dithered too long and they sold out! My concerns I guess were about stability of the over the rider kind, which I was leaning towards because of the ease of removablilty - and while I don't go south, I do clip in the spring when it's still chilly. I don't do much serious riding in the winter- hacking and road work. I've tried using a regular fleece sheet over my legs and it just doesn't work right.

As for materials, I have fallen in love with a lightweight wool plaid -( and will post pictures when I get it. ) I don't want fleece due to the static issues (although will have to try that dryer trick) and I have 2 fleece coolers.

My old quarter sheet does not have billet straps (just girth) and my mare is a pad spitter and that goes for quarter sheets too - over the leg (or under the flap) would eliminate that problem.

Does anyone know where you can buy a Newmarket wool quarter sheet? I want one...

Retread - does your 1/4 sheet have a tail strap? Adding one might help some. I have used a small 1/4 sheet that doesn't come down far on the sides, like a pony size, a tight tail strap on one, and a waterproof one, to help eliminate flapping/finding self in a snow bank in woods/between the indoor wall and horse.

Hillary - The waterproof one is like a turnout sheet that is lined in wool. It runs smaller/shorter on the sides, and doesn't move like the other materials. Can't really flap because the material is stiffer. It is a cutout type that works on your legs or under the saddle, and doesn't cover the "kicking area". It also has an effective tail strap, rather than the ones that dangle loose and add to the drama lol. I think it is either Rambo or Weatherbeeta. Will look when I get a chance. Just another option if you ride outside some in winter. Nice and windproof as well, and breathable!

G'Morning - The Newmarket 1/4 sheets are usually cheapest at Dover or Smartpak, although haven't looked in a couple months. Can usually get a good deal online, and quick delivery. I'm guessing Bit of Britain and other big online selling sites have them as well.