The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Appropriate tip for grooms?

Hi,
    I am at WEF and the barn I am with has two grooms. I usually groom myself so am not sure what a reasonable tip is. I'll be here showing for 5 weeks, and would rather tip them each week as we go along rather than wait until the end. What is a reasonable tip per groom per weekend? My horse is showing two days per weekend (jumper, so usually one class per day). Thanks in advance for suggestions.

I'll chime in...so a search...I think there was a thread discussing this very thing. If I recall correctly, the consensus was about $10 a day per groom.

For a lot of reasons....please ask your trainer what the situation is and the going rate they recommend. You can always amend it up or down accordingly, the care of every individual horse is different. Maybe one groom has done a little extra that week (insert task here) i.e. hold your horse for the braider, poultice twice a day, do ice boots, handwalk, extra longe, etc that your not aware of; or maybe the grooms in your stable pool their tips and share the work, you just never know.
    "Lighten up, Francis." -Stripes

Where there are only carousel horses to be had...

I think $10 is NOT enough, especially at WEF. When you go out to dinner in Wellington, you would leave at least a 20% tip. Grooms work much harder and are, quite possibly, paid less than or equal to what waiters are paid. Why wouldn't you give them at least the same amount (I have worked in food service and groomed, FYI) as a tip? Figure out from your trainer (or if you are paying them, from yourself) how much they earn an hour so you know what an appropriate percentage would be.
    Think about when you get your hair cut, when you go out to dinner, when you get your nails done, anything like that. Calculate the hours they put in on your horses and give them at least 20%.
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
    (}---{)

Quote Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
    I think $10 is NOT enough, especially at WEF. When you go out to dinner in Wellington, you would leave at least a 20% tip. Grooms work much harder and are, quite possibly, paid less than or equal to what waiters are paid. Why wouldn't you give them at least the same amount (I have worked in food service and groomed, FYI) as a tip? Figure out from your trainer (or if you are paying them, from yourself) how much they earn an hour so you know what an appropriate percentage would be.
    Think about when you get your hair cut, when you go out to dinner, when you get your nails done, anything like that. Calculate the hours they put in on your horses and give them at least 20%.
    20% of what? I'm pretty certain that the grooms are making a better base salary than a waiter is. Plus, I don't eat in the same restaurant every day for 3 months.

Lemme see...I take three horses to a show...there are 3 to 5 grooms at every show. Since each groom at some point will have their hands on at least one of my horses, let's do the math. 5 grooms at $10 each = $50 X 3 horses = $150 a day X 1 week (7 days) = $1,050 for one show. Then add in the guy that cleans the stalls and feeds and waters = another $70 for the week, so a grand total of $1,120. I think that's plenty, thank you very much.

And, I'm already paying their base salary. My trainer bills the expense back to me.

We suggest $20 per groom per week at shows including WEF.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    20% of what? I'm pretty certain that the grooms are making a better base salary than a waiter is. Plus, I don't eat in the same restaurant every day for 3 months.

Lemme see...I take three horses to a show...there are 3 to 5 grooms at every show. Since each groom at some point will have their hands on at least one of my horses, let's do the math. 5 grooms at $10 each = $50 X 3 horses = $150 a day X 1 week (7 days) = $1,050 for one show. Then add in the guy that cleans the stalls and feeds and waters = another $70 for the week, so a grand total of $1,120. I think that's plenty, thank you very much.

And, I'm already paying their base salary. My trainer bills the expense back to me.
    mo money, mo problems

I can't comment on the actual amount, but-

Quote Originally Posted by 867-5309 View Post
    You can always amend it up or down accordingly, the care of every individual horse is different.
    This. I used to groom for a breed show barn, and I would've liked a little extra from the owners of the horse that had the annoying (well-known) habit of clocking people with his head. I got clocked numerous times, and once on the back while polishing his feet that really hurt.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

When I do bigger shows, I tip between $50-75 per week as a base rate ... my horse is easy, and I help (frequently groom/tack/untack/bathe my own.)

If we have a particularly good show, I generally double that amount.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.