The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse scene in White Plains, NY

I am looking at relocating and of prime importance is the horse scene.

I would want full care boarding (probably) and access to trails and the ability to take an occasional dressage lesson so my postition does totally fall apart.

I would want decent daily turnout.

A foxhunt would be a definate plus!

Thank you for any private or posted input.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Lots of everything you mention.

But VERY expensive.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Janet,
    Thanks.
    can you give a detail? for example, what would clean stall at night, all the hay he can eat and turnout in field with pals all day cost? access to trail-no covered arena just acceptable footing

In my neck of the San Francisco Bay area, that runs about $600 with a 25 minute drive.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I'm in the area- feel free to pm me or email me for specifics (or any other non-horse related info you want on the area). I don't feel comfortable posting names and prices here.

Generally, you might be able to find a small private place or a big lesson factory type place for $1000 within 30 minutes- but the nicer ones that come to mind are over the bridge - which you wouldn't want to do within 3 hours of rush hour. I'd say $1000-$1500 for no indoor. I wouldn't expect all-day turnout unless you are willing to drive a bit north.

Thanks

For what you want in close to White Plains? $1500 and up. There are trails at Bear Mountain State Park.

My brother (works in White Plains, lives in Mameroneck) drives out to a barn in Duchess Co. for lessons. Board out there is more in the $600-800 range at the farm where he rides (he doesn't own, just lessons.)

Where I keep my horse in Orange county, it will run you anywhere from $600-$900, depending.
    Might be worth looking at places in NJ as well.

OP, just keep track of distances (in case you are not already). White Plains is about an hour away from Dutchess County, e.g.