The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hanoverian G-line- Comments?

Anyone have any good resources for exploring the hanoverian G-line? Comments, opinions welcome

Specifically Gonzo I, Gepard, Gotthard, Goldfisch II and Goldammer II..

hi kc,

i used to ride a bunch of gotthard sons in germany back in the day.... loved them. often not the prettiest, but man could they jump!

i always felt it was a shame that hanover didn't put the same priority around concentrating those best g-line genetics as holstein have successfully done around concentrating theirs. it could be a different world today if they had.

i've bred a gonzo mare a few times and there is another using our stallion this year. i have yet to see the same quality of the sire in the children, but i'm not sure how much he has been used.

happy to have an offline chat on this. there are a handful around doing well at a high level. i grew up a fan of the g-line but regretted to see its place in sport success was not better managed and maintained.

nick

Just nothing but love. My mare is steeped in G-line and is one of the most wonderful horses I have known. From speaking to other owners and seeing others, she is typical in many ways. She also has Absatz and Cor De La Bryere mixed in, which I suppose makes her a little more modern and very very pretty.

I'll probably spend the rest of my life looking for another just like her.

Nick- thanks for sharing your experience and opinions..

Hopefully the gonzo offspring this year produces a high quality foal. Did you find the Gotthard sons affectionate/trainable? I'd be curious to get to know what G-line horses are doing well at high levels..

PerfectPony- glad to hear about your great G-line mare!

Quote Originally Posted by KC058 View Post
    I'd be curious to get to know what G-line horses are doing well at high levels..
    Well this one has been a little bit successful
    http://www.superiorequinesires.com/s...oldfever.shtml

My gelding's dam is by Gaucho (Hanoverian RCMP stallion) who is G-line from his dam's side, she was Grande/Graf/Goldfisch II. Gaucho is by Matcho on the top side. Tried and true old bloodlines, and I love my guy's temperament. He's a real trier and takes care of his rider. And here's some good advice from a trainer: you should ask the TRAINERS what lines to go for, not BREEDERS , and that she worked with many G-lines and ALWAYS really enjoyed them!

My horse's dam went to 4th before starting to have babies, and my guy has a full brother doing 4th/PSG.

All I think of is "jump"! We have a Grannus like Oldenburg filly and she shows the jump for sure! She is very trainable, cooperative and a "yes" girl. Doesn't get worked up about much.

Gepard has sired some nice hunters as well.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by Signature View Post
    All I think of is "jump"! We have a Grannus like Oldenburg filly and she shows the jump for sure! She is very trainable, cooperative and a "yes" girl. Doesn't get worked up about much.
    Ah the gorgeous Gracie! Yes. Cannot wait to see an updated video of her so I can torture myself some more.

I have never known of a G-line horse that was not a nice all-around type.

My first Hanoverian Gianni was out of Glander a Grande descendant and boy she could jump like a cat! Never looked at anything....just go go go.

She was very dainty and was a dressage horse when I got her. I rode her in L level dressage and M level jumping. I loved her dearly. Her work ethic was to die for.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

One of the best and most fun horses I ever had was triple G line.

http://homeagainfarm.com/pages/gipetto.html

WBlover- glad to hear your trainer enjoyed the G-line.

Signature- I have heard the G-line has lots of "jump" but that's really all I come across. Glad to hear about the "yes" girl.

Does anyone care to share thier favorite hanoverian line and why?

homeagain- Sorry that you lost Gipetto so soon.

Signature- pic of your filly?

I own a G line mare that is now 16. She is the BEST horse I have ever owned. She is out of Graf Goetz, Goetz, Gong, Goldmann. While she was bred to be a dressage horse she is a fantastic hunter. The BEST mind, smart, pretty as a picture and sound beyond belief. I can't say enough good things about her.

I have her baby, now coming 5 who is an R line Hanoverian.

I own a mare who's dam was by Graphit x Gotthard. She was a lovely mover back in her young days, nice looking mare but would now be called somehow old fashion. The more I look at Graphit's official picture, the more I believe she looks exactly like him, in a feminine version. She did dressage, then jumpers. She is easy to work with, nothing bothers her, bombproof but now retired from riding. Would fill my barn with a dozen like her. I really hope to keep a filly from her in the future!
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

I have a 2009 G-line filly by Gold Luck out of a Pablo / Weltmeyer dam. Very sweet and easy going, people-oriented, and athletic. I plan to have a dressage focus for her, as I am horrible at jumping, though her full sister has easily jumped 4 feet. I absolutely love her, and would love to have more G-line mares.

Inspection photo: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...627114.6239836

Conformation photo taken last June (she's half asleep): http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...627114.6239836

~Allyson
    "The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be ignited." - Plutarch

Owned by: Ghold Nugget (Gold Luck - Pablo - Weltmeyer)

There are some mares still producing who were sired by Grand Canyon (Graphit-Grande)

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Lots of jumper responses, but Grundstein is behind many successful dressage horses. Gifted was a Grande grandson through Garibaldi II
    They are certainly athletic, but I think they are most notable for their minds.
    Exceptionally willing to please, intelligent, personable and very people oriented. Generally less reactive due to a desire to trust their handler and to think about what it happening around them rather than react. Sweet and loyal. Easy to train.
    I find that the space they create around themselves is "safe". They pay attention to where you are and are careful to not hurt you.
    That said, I have heard, and suspect that it is true, that they are smart enough to know when a rider does not have their best interests in mind. A horse who is already giving you everything they have, may not be all that happy about being asked to give more than they are capable of. They are very honest but they aren't stupid.

Home Again. OMG Gipetto justs screams G-line. I love that look.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Our family was one of the first to breed to Grundstein when he came to the US- we also bred the stallion Gold Luck,,, LOVE THEM, Especially crossing with A line and B line. We are dedicated to keeping the blood alive and well for both the hunter and dressage disciplines!
    To be brutally honest, they generally tend to mature slower than some other lines, and many go through some uglies. IMHO this tends to make them more difficult to market at a young age for the USA and sometimes makes the blood less popular.
    I am tickled to hear so many say that these are the best horses they ever owned.
    Last edited by MagicRoseFarm; Feb. 5, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

My mare, now turning 19 is by Grafenfels (Grossfurst x Grande) x Ludendorff (by Lugano). Old old old lines. When I read all of your comments, my mare fits right in the box too. Lovely mover, great jumper, old-fashioned in looks. Bit short in the front leg and lacking suppleness throughout her body. But nicely built, strong top line and the best temperament.

She's in foal to Furstenball (by Furst Heinrich x Donnerhall x Classiker). Can't wait to see that foal.. her second after 15 years
    --
    Europe\'s Largest Dressage and Breeding News Related Website
    http://www.eurodressage.com