The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse blanket storage

I have well over a 100 blankets, sheets, etc. They are taking over my tack room. Many are new so still in the bags, some are in baggies from the blanket cleaner and some are in nothing. Anyone have ideas how to store that many blanket effectively? I was using bins but it's not a great solution. The bins are heavy and they stack kind of unsteady. You can't see whats in the bins. I don't mind building something but we can't agree what to build. TIA.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

How is it that you have so many new blankets still in bags?????

There's a TV show about this except it deals with mostly animals

I second the spacebags and I use colored sterilite bins. Pink for mares and blue for boys, label with size and color.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

If you were to separate and pile them up, what would you have?

perhaps:
    4 broad areas: heavy, medium, light turnouts; and stable blankets. Or whatever you have.

And then break them into ranges of sizes:
    small, medium, large.

That would suggest 12 big sterilite or rubbermaid tubs, but then you'd have to move them around to get to the bottom tub. Assuming you could get in 8 or 9 per tub, which of course you can't.

So .... maybe spacebags and a simple wooden or wire shelving system of cubes? The spacebags would keep them clean and compressed, the shelving would help organize them.

Good luck. wow.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

100 sheets and blankets!?!?!?! How many horses do you have that need that extensive of a wardrobe?

If I were in your shoes, I would do as suggested above, organize, get those space bags, and then some sort of large cabinet or plastic storage cabinet(s) with shelves.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    How is it that you have so many new blankets still in bags?????

There's a TV show about this except it deals with mostly animals

I second the spacebags and I use colored sterilite bins. Pink for mares and blue for boys, label with size and color.
    LOL! My husband walked into the tack room today and said I need a 12 step program. I have a lot of horses and during the off season, now, I buy a lot of new blankets for the next year.

I'll look up spacebags, what a good idea.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

BTW totally off topic, but I was considering Romantic star for my mare when he was 20 mins from my house.

I hope he's doing well. Breeding is now on the back burner for us for a bit.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

There are also tote storage systems that can hold up to 12 32 gallon totes, not sure what size totes you are using now, but that might be an option.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Space bags sound like a great idea. You could also use the translucent tubs that you could sort of see what's in them . You could also ,as another poster suggested, sort by weight, size,, etc and label the bins, maybe by horse's name, if possible. My girl has a rainsheet, mid weight blanket and heavy weight plus a neck cover. Oh, and a fly sheet- that;s the extent of her wardrobe.

Plastic blanket storage bags. They can be stacked and put on shelves.
    http://www.bagsonthenet.com/store/pr...&cat=29&page=1
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I have a wee bit of a blanket problem as well

The space bags are awesome! It's amazing how small they get! Then I use one of those label makers and label the ends of the bags with what is in there. It makes life in the tack room so much easier.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

One of my boarders came up with the best system for the winter months, Summer I put them in totes according to size and weight.
    Winter months drove me crazy trying to keep the blankets neatly folded on the stall doors. So we took a long long pipe and hung about 8' horizonately in the air. Then hang O's made of this flexible strip stuff that has s hooks on. We then take our blankets and hang them with bucket hangers off the s hooks so they hang vertically. We either hang by the d's on the back of the blanket or the buckles on the front of the blankets. Hope this makes sense. They dry quick. You don't have to get all dirty trying to fold a dirty blanket...

i 2nd the spacebag idea.chocomare beat me too it

Garage sale or charity tack sale. Seriously, unless you have several dozen horses, will you really miss a majority of these things? Might be a horse rescue that could really benefit from your excess. Win-win.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Garage sale or charity tack sale. Seriously, unless you have several dozen horses, will you really miss a majority of these things? Might be a horse rescue that could really benefit from your excess. Win-win.
    I have several dozen horses and unfortuntely I use them, lol.

I can store your size 78's