The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Albion Dressage Saddle...anyone have one?

I'm planning to make a foray into eventing land this summer for the first time ever. I know that a Dressage saddle is not vital in the lower levels, but I have found a very good deal on an Albion Dressage saddle. Anyone have one? Or has anyone ridden at one point or another? Love them? Hate them?

Thanks in Advance!

I have an older Albion dressage saddle. I love it.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I have ridden in my BO's quite a few times. I love that saddle, it put me in a superb position! I wish it hadn't been too wide for my horse, I would have bought it off her. Of course, you can change out the whole front half of the tree if you need to.

I have an Albion A/P and love it. A friend of mine has an Albion dressage saddle and loves hers. I've ridden in another friend's Albion dressage saddle and liked it a lot. I'm planning to buy one this spring myself.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

I have one too and love it. It was not easy to find a saddle that worked for me -- I need a narrow twist -- and my horses, who are both wide and high-withered.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Love mine. It's an older SL with a flatter seat. I sat in one when I was horse shopping and made SURE to write down exactly what it was. After I got Patrick that was the next thing I bought! So nice to not have to fight to get your leg where it belongs.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I had an older model. The Classic Comfort model...something like that.

It was terrible. I didn't know it was terrible until I figured out I liked narrow twisted saddles.

The Comfort model was made specifically with a wide twist.
    It caused my hips to rotate out hence also rotating my knees. When I started sitting trot I rubbed off all the skin on the inside of my knee.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I have a very old Albion HR which I love, but the old Albions are not for everyone. They tend to have a very wide twist. The newer ones come with more options wrt to twist. The old ones are generally very reasonably priced and hold up like champs. I have had several through my barn and they just last and last and last. Not sure about the newer ones.

I have an old Original Comfort and I love the way it fits my QH/Arab mare - she loves it too!

I'm not exactly a fan of the wide twist, but it's not the end of the world for me to ride in it, so I deal. And it lets my leg hang in a pretty good spot, which I appreciate.

I have an Albion Style. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden in; it does put me in a bit of a chair seat and I could go up a seat size.

Interesting to know that the Original Comforts had a wide twist; I could not stand the one I tried out, and that's probably why.

One thing to be aware of with Albions is that their tree sizes are NOT consistent, so be sure you can put the saddle on your horse to be sure it fits before you buy it. (The place where I got mine had a 17 inch MW and a 17.5 inch MW. By the serial numbers, they were made the same year, but the latter was more like an XW.)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Thanks everyone! The saddle is at my barn, so I have had the opportunity to ride in it and put it on my horse. It is an Albion Style and I'm not sure of the year it was made, but I'm pretty sure it's 10 or so years old. It's not a couch by ay means but I like how it rides.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunterrider View Post
    Thanks everyone! The saddle is at my barn, so I have had the opportunity to ride in it and put it on my horse. It is an Albion Style and I'm not sure of the year it was made, but I'm pretty sure it's 10 or so years old. It's not a couch by ay means but I like how it rides.

Buy it! Albion saddles are superb :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Abberlaze View Post
    Buy it! Albion saddles are superb :-)
    True THAT!

We have a barn load of them, some of which have been passed around from horse to horse as folks buy and sell their horses and gear. They wear well, fit well, and are a good investment.

I have an A/P "couch", narrow twist that I LOVE< LOVE< LOVE, and have ridden in several models of the dressage saddle.

You won't go wrong with an Albion.
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

I have one two. Albion slk. Love it!!!