The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Estimated time of rehab from 6 weeks off?

My Thoroughbred had a chronic thing in his fetlock, and it was getting pretty bad so we decided to treat it with shockwave therapy. He has been just walking for five weeks, and we have one more. What kind of rehab can I expect from six weeks of just walking?

in 2009 he broke his withers and was off for six months. That rehab was very structured ie. five minutes of trot, five of walk, then of trot, five of walk one week, then add a minute next week etc.
    Am I looking at the same type of thing? Or is six weeks (with walking bareback for 45 mins a day) short enough to go right back into light dressage and small fences?

It depends on the type of injury. Is he on stalll rest too?

Regardless...I would not go right back to jumping if you have just been walking. Even a horse who had just been out of work you will need to do some sort of structured legging up...so as not to cause soreness or other injuries.

In your case how slowly you need to ramp back up the work really depends on the injury. I would talk to your vet and have them give you guidelines.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

The injury was some irregularity and inflammation in his cesimoid bones. We did shockwave therapy ad it really helped. Havn't done an ultrasound yet but he is 100% sound on hard pavement (which he never was before)

You really need to discuss with your vet. If it was my horse, I'd be starting slow trotting once the vet gives the ok, starting from about 5 minutes or less and building up carefully, on good footing, and continuing walking at the same time. I'd count on at least three weeks, likely with a recheck in there, before I'd be back to where we were pre-time off, and that would assume that they were starting back on turn out toward the beginning of that.

I'd also talk to the vet. I would worry a bit about jumping- mainly the landing since you are going to get some impact going up the leg, plus the suspensory attaches to the sesamoids so there might be a possibility of placing stress on them that way.

Was he on stall rest? That would add a lot more time legging up, IMO. You need to recondition the soft tissue.