The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ready to Show?

I want to do some WTC adult beginner classes with my OTTB at an upcoming hunter schooling show. How do I judge when we're ready for the show ring? Any idea what the judges are looking for out of beginners?

A safe, quiet, reliable looking horse. Good foundations; heels down, leg still, hands steady, diagnols and leads correct.

Madison, Wisconsin

Will he WTC in company without killing anyone? Then I say go for it! That's what schooling shows are for!

As far as details, Crown Royal makes good suggestions.

But mostly just relax and have fun!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

In the schooling show flat classes I have been in they ask you to walk, trot, canter. Usually ask for canter from a walk. Do all gaits both directions. Line up in the middle of the arena and back your horse. If you and horse can do that (be sure to practice doing so with other horses) I would say you are ready to go. Perfection is not expected at a schooling show! Go out and have fun. Never hurts to ask the judge for feedback either.

I echo the above comments. Plus I'll add that if it's a show you will be trailering to, have you done this yet? Some horses seem ready and willing at home, but the first time you trailer somewhere new they are not quite the same. If you've trailered to other farms before, you'll probably be fine!

Otherwise, just have fun! Schooling shows are where you learn what you need to work on at home.