The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default confo critique, please :)

I would love your thoughts on my 2006 TB mare, Lucy. I would like to do jumpers with her and possibly some eventing in the future. She is extremely athletic and a little bit hot, but I love her in all of her crazy mare glory.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...0_003small.jpg
    taken in December

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...0_005small.jpg
    taken in September, and here is a shot without any wraps/boots on.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...0_042small.jpg
    taken in October

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...0_046small.jpg
    out of the 1000's of photos I have of her, this is apparently one of the only ones that is kind of from the front, sorry about that.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...1_002small.jpg
    taken in December. I love the way she has filled out. This is what she looked like when I bought her as a 3yo.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...0editsmall.jpg
    head shot

Under saddle:

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...111410_008.jpg
    trot, and excuse my crap lower leg...that has since been fixed with a new saddle that doesn't perpetually put me in a chair seat.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...0_041small.jpg
    canter

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...0_023small.jpg
    baby crossrail

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...1_131small.jpg
    fun in the snow

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...0_034small.jpg
    oh yes, she has a naughty streak

Thanks!!

Couldn't get all the pix to open but the ones I did see - LOVE HER! Cute jump too. Ahh got the buck pix to open - any horse that can buck like that I'd bet could jump well.

Would love to see video because I'm sure she looks great too!
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I think she is put together very well for jumpers. Really nice looking mare.

Stunning!

Gorgeous girl!

Off chance do you know her pedigree? Just for fun. hehe

Wow she is CUTE! I don't see any glaring conformation faults. I think she's a very nicely balanced mare.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Oh I love her! She really has grown up into a lovely lady since you got her. Great head too. She's more my type of TB - not too lanky, nice neck, a bit more uphill than some of them. Overall, she is just a nicely balanced, smooth, and well put together mare.

Congrats! She looks fun = )

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarrx View Post
    Gorgeous girl!

Off chance do you know her pedigree? Just for fun. hehe
    Same question here! I see some similarities to my guy and love making comparisons as I try to learn which TB lines I like best.

She's just exactly my type of TB - overall lovely balance, and the kind of bone and build I prefer.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Thanks everyone

Double, which photos didn't work for you? I will try and see if I can figure out the problem.

I am a little scared to post video here lol. She has been a huge PITA this winter and we went through a bucking phase, then a leaping around phase, and most recently a rearing phase, so I don't have much video that really shows off how she moves (or how she's supposed to move, anyway). But here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSq0FkR7R6M
    under saddle with minimal naughtiness, taken on 1/10/2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVrfEgBaApg
    under saddle with a little bit of naughtiness around 1:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-v02jmKauw
    under saddle from back in October (in short sleeves!). this was a pretty good ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01h58N1kTh4
    the first time putting lines of jumps together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvWJfD34pU4
    and for funsies, here she is playing in the outdoor. she always behaves much better under saddle if she gets time to get the excess energy out first.

Her pedigree is here: http://www.pedigreequery.com/iwanbegeorgiesgal

She raced up and down the East Coast in low level claiming races. She won one time but ended up last more than anything. I heard from the people I bought her from that her jockeys said that she gave up if she started getting dirt flung in her face. That makes me laugh so much...if she's going to be my eventing partner in the future she's going to have to learn it's ok to get a little bit dirty!

When I got her a lot of people said "oh she's a Storm Cat, watch out!" and now I see some of that coming through a bit. However, I've found that if I can harness that energy and somehow convince her to use it in a positive way, she goes really well. She's not a one-rein-stop kind of a horse, she's a keep-it-going-forward kind of horse, but we're getting there slowly

Bort, thanks so much. When I got her she was in rough shape but I could see past the ribs jutting out and the sad face and I loved her instantly. Even as a skinny 3yo she had a good sized frame, which was important to me because my legs are really long. I tried her at night in a ring with no fence at dinner time and she didn't know how to steer and had no brakes lol. But she did her best to figure out what it was that I was asking of her and I figured that if nothing else, she had a good brain lol. She vetted clean, I paid $800 for her and got her out of there.

Have you had chiro work done on her (by a vet who actually understands horse anatomy)? Just wondering because sometimes the naughtiness isn't just attitude, and her particular naughtiness can have to do with chiro issues.

That said, she's a young, energetic TB... so I wouldn't necessarily assume something physical, just try to make sure it isn't!

She looks like one who would rather go up than forward - my guy is the same way, but older and not a Storm Cat. I really like her, though - she has a natural jump to her canter and naturally brings her back legs under her. Seems to me like she should be able to get really handy!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

First, I love the name Lucy! Second I think you have a really nice horse from the pictures I've seen. Have a ball with her.

Love her! I knew she had to have Mr. Prospector in her cause she reminds me of a nicer version of my mare.

Sounds like they have similar personalities at times.

Very nice mare! Love her build. I love how after she's naughty you just keepgoing like nothing happened.

I second the chriopratic work. While she seems a bit fiesty, shec also appears a bit uncomfortable at times. A good chiropracter could make her feel loads better, move a bit bigger and maybe cut down a bit on some of the silliness, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

OMG, I looked at her pedigree and she was breed my the same man who bred my mare!! Mr. Gilbert!!! My mare's racing name is Run Around Gal, so he must like to use "gal" in his horses name.
    I bought my mare, now named Allie to be broodmare and she has one foal, now 3 yrs old and has another one on the way this year.
    But enough about us.

It is s shame that your absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! mare is so difficult, it can't be any fun to fight with her every stride. She is so, so very athletic and you have her in incredible condition, well done on your part, you must take very good care of her to look like she does.

My suggestion, is that is a "failure to communicate" problem here. But I think there is hope to quiet her down to help her understand, but my suggestion is not the norm, so take it for what its worth.

I would get a very, very good cowboy, who understands mares, hot ones, and let him "break" her, not in the traditional sense, but with kindness and understanding, men can do this better than us girls, I think, men get a respect that I haven't seen with woman, sure there are out there however.

OK, after that you have to be very consistent and ride her like the cowboy, even maybe for awhile in a western saddle, turn her into a cow pony, then you can trainer her to jump or whatever. I've seen it done and you'd never know that the mare was just like yours before the transformation.

Crazy, I know coming from a very traditional hunter rider, me, BUT the alternative is what you got, AND no one is doing it any better than you are using the methods you are using.

One comment on her natural abilities, I see that she currently is jumping off her forehand and putting you behind the motion, which is due to the fighting you have to do to keep some sense of control. No self carriage as she will not let you let go of her head and put your leg on. I see a very talented mare that should be able to take you very far. But there is a huge elephant in the barn and its her lack of understanding.

Oh and oyu can see pictures of my mare on my webshots under Sword Dance Mare!! GOOD LUCK!! Keep in Touch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    Have you had chiro work done on her (by a vet who actually understands horse anatomy)? Just wondering because sometimes the naughtiness isn't just attitude, and her particular naughtiness can have to do with chiro issues.
    Yes she has been worked on by a fabulous chiro and also a MT in this area a few times. The first time I had him out was right after I got her. He thought after evaluating her that she had probably flipped over backward at one point, poor girl. Her pelvis was 20 degrees out of whack to the left. Her withers and poll were way out of alignment.

Since then he's only had to adjust minor things. I do think she has some residual tightness in her hind end but I do really nice long warm-ups with her and stretching twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Very nice mare! Love her build. I love how after she's naughty you just keepgoing like nothing happened.

I second the chriopratic work. While she seems a bit fiesty, shec also appears a bit uncomfortable at times. A good chiropracter could make her feel loads better, move a bit bigger and maybe cut down a bit on some of the silliness, lol.
    Thanks One of the first things I did with her was teach her the one-rein-stop but when put into practice it did nothing but escalate the situation. I believe she uses these naughty outbursts as evasions and really, a one-rein-stop is letting her win. She would obediently stop, that wasn't the issue, but when allowed to move forward again she was even worse. If I just push her through it and let her know that her naughty maneuvers are going to do nothing but temporarily delay what she's eventually going to have to do anyway, she soon realizes that it's easier to just canter that circle. lol. She is quite something, VERY smart and doesn't give up easily. I now know how my husband feels dealing with me sometimes

I am wondering if she in fact has ulcers, and I plan to scope her in the spring when I get my tax return (goodbye, sweet tax return...). In the mean time I have been giving her 60mL of Maalox a day and I have noticed a significant improvement in her attitude. I know it's not a long term fix and her insurance will pay for the full treatment of GG if she indeed has ulcers.

She also had her teeth done yesterday and was sharp in a few places...these silly horses. It's always something. Anyway I'm looking forward to riding her tomorrow and seeing how she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
    OMG, I looked at her pedigree and she was breed my the same man who bred my mare!! Mr. Gilbert!!! My mare's racing name is Run Around Gal, so he must like to use "gal" in his horses name.
    I checked out her pictures....beautiful!! And she has the same dishy face as Lucy does. I thought that she'd outgrow it but she just turned 5 and it's still very prominent. I love that about her.

It is s shame that your absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! mare is so difficult, it can't be any fun to fight with her every stride. She is so, so very athletic and you have her in incredible condition, well done on your part, you must take very good care of her to look like she does.

My suggestion, is that is a "failure to communicate" problem here. But I think there is hope to quiet her down to help her understand, but my suggestion is not the norm, so take it for what its worth.

I would get a very, very good cowboy, who understands mares, hot ones, and let him "break" her, not in the traditional sense, but with kindness and understanding, men can do this better than us girls, I think, men get a respect that I haven't seen with woman, sure there are out there however.

OK, after that you have to be very consistent and ride her like the cowboy, even maybe for awhile in a western saddle, turn her into a cow pony, then you can trainer her to jump or whatever. I've seen it done and you'd never know that the mare was just like yours before the transformation.

Crazy, I know coming from a very traditional hunter rider, me, BUT the alternative is what you got, AND no one is doing it any better than you are using the methods you are using.
    I have actually considered this. Part of her issues stemmed from a saddle that no longer fit her. When I bought her she needed almost a narrow tree because she was so thin and had no topline. The new saddle I bought for her is a 33cm Stubben, so she has really broadened out. Between that and treating her with Maalox to see if it might be an ulcer issue (which has helped significantly so I'll go ahead and scope her in the spring) she has improved a lot. As I said I was weary of posting videos because I don't feel this winter's work really does her justice. We will get her sorted out because I don't think she REALLY wants to be as difficult as she has been. She's not a fighter on the ground. So I will give her at least until the weather warms up and see if between the new saddle, possible ulcer treatment and the warmer temps she is a different horse. She had never bucked or set a foot wrong before October.

One comment on her natural abilities, I see that she currently is jumping off her forehand and putting you behind the motion, which is due to the fighting you have to do to keep some sense of control. No self carriage as she will not let you let go of her head and put your leg on. I see a very talented mare that should be able to take you very far. But there is a huge elephant in the barn and its her lack of understanding.
    I agree with you 100%. She is way better after we had a serious discussion about not running at jumps/poles/etc. She now happily trots up to a crossrail, lightly hops over it, and canters or trots away and stops easily. She had it in her head for a while that jumping HAD to be done at Mach 3 or not at all, and it took a few schooling sessions of one pole on the ground and walking, then trotting over it and halting at the end of the line. then we added an x with poles one stride out on each side and once she mastered it at the trot I let her canter over it. Once she figured out how to wait and let me help her she was so much better. But yeah, we're working on it. We went back to 99% flat work over the winter and that has helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbradbury View Post
    First, I love the name Lucy! Second I think you have a really nice horse from the pictures I've seen. Have a ball with her.
    Thanks Mrs. B The best part is that when she's bad we call her "Lucyfer" lol. I am thinking about Honolulu for her show name...that pretty much sums her up. If she were a person she'd be the high school cheerleading team captain.

I would make sure you ride her with an instructor that promotes quite-ness. Believe it or not, you need to ride more leg into a soft hand. Sometimes naughty-ness can come from being uncomfortable but also being too fresh. TB's are amazing horses but they are like energizer bunnies - that's what they are mostly bred to do - go go go...

Something I am learning by riding a few different horses - they all require a different way to be ridden yet very similar. A lot of my horses naughty-ness comes from "me"... I get mad or impatient even if I don't react - just "thinking" it and their attitude changes. Yesterday when my big horses was wanting to be spooky - I started singing to him. I guess he thought my voice was okay because he stopped spooking... trying to teach him to relax and enjoy being ridden.

That's what you need to do with your girl. It may take some time but that's okay - it will be worth it to do it right now rather than a quick fix that damages her stride.

One thing of caution - really focus on allowing her to keep her longer stride do not us too much hand and compress her too much.... in Jumpers, Hunters or Eq, you will need a 12ft stride... I know from personal experience on one of my horses - a trainer did too much collected work and now I am un-doing most of this training.

Another trainer from before I owned another one of my horses did too many Dressage drills and burnt out my horse.

Make riding fun for her - don't over react when she's naughty... give her more turn out or lunge time before the ride.....

She is super cute and worth all the time you can put on her yourself with a good instructor that believes in taking their time to make a solid, happy horse.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Well my instructor certainly doesn't promote the horse acting like an idiot. So we are on the right track. He is also a dressage trainer primarily, and the first thing he made me do was put my leg on her. I had been riding her practically with my legs sticking out on either side, afraid to set her off. I ride her now with a substantial amount of leg. If she gets pissy about it, I put more leg on her...then she's happy when I go back to just the regular amount of leg.

I think if anything I under react when she's naughty. That's the whole point. Ignore, move on, praise when she does something positive. She's not a horse I can really battle it out with and she responds much better to positive reinforcement than a punishment. I've ridden horses where if they're naughty, you can do a one-rein-stop, smack them on the shoulder, yell at them, etc, and they're like oh crap! I'm so sorry! I'll do better from now on! This is not one of those horses. If I tried any of that with her she'd pin her ears and toss me around the next corner. I have to work WITH her not against her.

We did go through a rough time at the beginning of the winter and it took a lot of adjusting on my part to get into the groove again.

She gets "play time" in the ring before I ride each day. This is the time she can use to be crazy, run around, throw some bucks, etc, but when I tack up and get on she is expected to behave. She knows this.

Unfortunately there is limited turnout space at my barn but she does go into a small paddock for a full day every day. There's nothing I can do about the turnout situation.

I am working to slow her steps down but not shorten her stride. My instructor promoted that heavily from the beginning.

Regarding the "make riding fun" suggestion, we trail ride more than anything else, especially in the summer. She LOVES it. If we are in the ring for more than three sessions without going for a trail ride she gets a little fried. She has to be in front if we're with other horses and deer still frighten her, but she's great with cars, great with dogs, and it's like Lewis and Clark out in the woods when we are on the trails. We hop over little logs, walk through streams, etc. I think it's important for them to get out and enjoy themselves, and I know I get sick of going in circles REAL fast. Unfortunately it's the middle of winter in New England and we just had an 40+ inches of snow and then an ice storm that pretty much wrecked the footing on the trails so we won't be able to go out there for a few weeks I'd guess.