The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default As long as we are talking free horses . . .

I have a mare on the giveaway board that might make someone an awesome lower level event horse. She has the mind and nice eventing breeding on the bottom. She's extremely trainable and just a very nice mare. Straight legged behind, so she would be body sore when she brought back into work, but she will get over it. She is light boned with a heavy top, as is not uncommon with Northern Dancer/Fappiano descendants, but her damsire is Fuzziano, and he has sired some event horses from Texas.

5 1/2 full TB with six months at a professional for breaking. I simply am at a point where I am too old and too broke to horsekeep much longer.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Viney, could you do a brief comment on the eventing aspects of her pedigree?
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Her sire line is less than stellar. The sire is Minister Slew, a very well bred for racing TB by Deputy Minister out of Slew Boyera by Seattle Slew. Minister Slew stood at Mississippi State for several years before he had to be put down because of a pasture accident. Sold for 500,000k at Keeneland as a yearling. He was homozygous bay, I think; about 16 hands; and had classic conformation, not QHish. He was donated after a much less than stellar 2 yo campaign, and MSU took him because they have a professor whose brother is a big time bloodstock agent in Kentucky and the owners got more from the tax deduction than they ever would have from a sale.

Boyera was an Argentine mare who was a nice racing producer. She had some lovely old bloodlines that have produced well for sport, like Rustom Pasha, Old Man; she and Slew Boyera were shipped back and forth to South America during their breeding careers.

However, the damside of my mare is quite nice for eventing. Her damsire is Fuzziano, a Fappiano son who has about eight get listed on the USEF website. At least two of those are event horses in Texas. One, IIRC, has gone at least prelim. Fuzziano's dam was Little Fuzzy by Turn and Count, a son of Best Turn, and her dam was a daughter of Chieftain out of an Argentine mare who also has Rustom Pasha on the bottom and Donatello on top. Chieftain, of course, was Shaab's dam sire; and was damsire of Highland Hogan. He's also the damsire of the show jumper Bradford's dam. His son, Fight To Fight, is the sire of a stallion Likoto xx who was exported to Germany and has produced about seven FEI level event horses there. He's a very good eventing line and appears twice in this mare's pedigree on the bottom through daughters. Of his descendants that I've been able to find in sport, the vast majority come through daughters.

The second dam is by Paristo (Buckpasser son who was exported to Brazil) out of a Chieftain daughter. Paristo's dam has a good a sport pedigree as it's possible to have. Her sire is a Tom Rolfe son (Ribot) out of a granddaughter of Precipitation; the dam is by TV Lark (well proved sport line for jumping), out of Miss Carmie who traces tail female to a full sister of Two Lea, and Two Lea, besides being a champion race mare, was also the dam of On and On and Tim Tam. On and On was the sire of the international show jumper Philco and four others listed in my Dr. Birdsall, most of whom were show jumpers. On and On was also damsire of Alydar. I figure that's in part where the Alydars get their jump. Miss Carmie's direct female line has Reines de Course for three generations before her. Her damsire was Ponder, and he is classically bred from fine and proven lines for sport--and he has at least one champion hunter in my Dr. Birdsall. He's also in the lines of a Zangersheide jumper. One of Ponder's grandsons was exported and used in KWPN breeding. Ponder's tail male grandsire was Hyperion, and his dam was a Blenheim daughter out of a Sir Gallahad mare.

The second dam's dam by Chieftain is out of a Dark Star mare. Dark Star is most famous as being the horse who beat Native Dancer in the Kentucky Derby, but he was exported to France and through a number of daughters appears in SF and AA pedigrees, particularly through his grandson Cherubin out of Ma Cherie. John Williams' Sloopy has a line to him, as do a few other FEI level event horses in Europe.

The mare seems to be a lot like her mother, but a bit more elegant and a bit more downhill. Her conformation is not at all perfect for sport, but her mind makes up for a huge amount. She's very, very sensible; sort of a pasture alpha, about 16h, and not at all the type to get herdbound. She's an independent thinker and has been since she was a baby. No bad habits, no vices. She's got the classic flat TB foot and her soles are rather thin. Plain dark bay.

I think with the proper conditioning which would need to be long and slow she'd make someone a very, very nice lower level free event prospect.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire