The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Where the blacktop ends-Maryland

Default Best ice melt to use around horses

Title just about says it all, looking for a safe way to melt ice around the stalls, this is an area they can't avoid, so should I just put sand or cat litter to give them some traction or is there a safe melting chemical that can be used. They don't stand around in it all day just need to cross over it to get to and from their stalls. Thanks for any suggestions, if this has already been asked/answered I apologize couldn't find it.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

The Prairie

I don't think I would use salt at all; I would be concerned about ingestion.

When I have ice patches I use Cherrystone grit from the feedstore(you can get it sized for chickens or turkeys...I use chicken because the turkey version seemed to have pretty big particles). This seems to give good traction.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Lexington, KY

A large TB farm that I worked at used ammonium nitrate on walkways. At the clinic we just use regular driveway salt. These are not areas that the horses have free access to though, so ingestion is not a concern.

North of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Urea - it's actually a fertilizer but it melts ice very well. (I use it at home on my walks and stairs and have had no issues with animal paws or burning of my lawn - if used judiciously.)

I get mine at the feed store up here. And it's much less expensive than the fancy "ice melters" in the special shaker containers that cost a fortune.