The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff: Are there jobs for adult pony riders out there?

Last edited by Moocow; Nov. 16, 2014 at 10:27 PM.
    I'd rather be riding!

Well, that would be a position that would be hard to find.

Any place that has enough ponies to need a dedicated pony rider will probably already have a few pony jocks coming up through the ranks. And those pony jocks have the added benefit of being able to show the ponies, too. As an adult you wouldn't be able to take the ponies in pony classes, and if you did take them in lower schooling divisions then they wouldn't be able to be shown by kids at the same show.

Plus, no worries about an adult wanting to remain an ammy (not saying you would).

If you're confident and a strong rider, breaking ponies (or flipping them) might be a more reasonable position to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    ... If you're confident and a strong rider, breaking ponies (or flipping them) might be a more reasonable position to find.
    Is that what it sounds like?

Quote Originally Posted by kalidascope View Post
    It can be, if pony is naughty and has a short neck
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Flipping as in buying, training, then 'flipping' them around and selling for a profit

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Flipping as in buying, training, then 'flipping' them around and selling for a profit
    Yeah, this is what I meant.

Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

at our barn we have three adults who school the ponies at any given time. Two of them are resident trainers, and one is really the assistant barn manager and she also schools all of the ponies. We have pony jocks too, but sometimes a regular adult ride is the way to go. So, would it be full-time, no, but if you're willing to do other barn work, or qualified to be an instructor, you could make something work.

There are definately jobs like that for qualified riders.Most of them would be at the larger AA show barns with a big group of pony kids. It is difficult to find a small adult to ride the smalls. The barns with many smalls would be the place to start.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

Yes there is a need for a good qualified adult pony jock. This has been discussed on the breeding forum and many of the top breeders would love to have an adult that is able to break, train and tune up ponies. it is also all about location. Good Luck. You might want to cross post over there and see the response pony breeders give.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Cool! Great to know guys, thanks! At the moment I am not looking for anything but was wondering more for the not-so-far future.

Also, why the face for flipping ponies? I love the sales business and would love to eventually be able to do this.

Good to know that there are some good things about being small!
    I'd rather be riding!

She made the face because she thought I meant LITERALLY flipping ponies, as in making them fall over. Which is a skill that people have and something that people do on purpose.

I made the face because I was surprised that someone would assume THAT definition of flipping, when I thought it was pretty clear that I would have meant flipping as in buying for resale.

1 members found this post helpful.

I payed for college, my first truck and trailer and a few horses being a pony rider. I am short enough and at the time was light enough to ride the smalls. I also rode TBs at the track. My ponies were bought and sold through the auction houses and I would turn them into games ponies though I did train a few to jump. All of mine were trick trained to bow, spanish walk,dance in place, & "talk". (Anything to make them more marketable) Now I did this in Texas where English riding is not par for the course. Had I known about the jumping market and pony club I would likely still be doing it and would have moved my butt East.
    My Advice:
    1. Talk to the breeders - If you have a knack for the babies they will love you
    2. Talk to the AA barns - If you have a knack for not killing children and can teach they might let you near their children.
    3. Keep your braiding and grooming skills up. While you can't ride with the kids you can groom for the kids and shows are awesome places to network. Groom the pony up, smooze the moms and trainers and travel light.

If you can set yourself up for a string or group of barns you should be able to stay in work consistently. I floated to wherever there was work and even did a few seasons on ranches.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Wow OP, so interested in this as well, this is like my dream job! I LOVE ponies! Haha!

What would people say is the height/weight limit for riding smalls? I'm 5'4" and 120lb, and own a large (14.1) who fits me great, but have ridden a bunch of mediums very comfortably. However I think I miiiight be over the limit when it comes to the smalls!

Such a great thread, keep the ideas coming! I'm ready for a career change
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I'm a pony addict, but am too big for the small / over the sometimes too narrow mediums. I would love to be able to hire someone like you who could also be my barn manager / accountant / or any of the 1,000's of "jobs" that go along with having a farm. I agree that someone with a thriving business of pony (children) riders would love to have you "on board" keeping a pony "ride-able", show-able, and sale-able.
    I have some small jockeys who are kids, but often one of the ponies gets "too big for her britches" and needs the work ethic "renewed". I, for one, am jealous that you are small, because I really love the ponies.

I'm about 5'1" on a tall day and have trouble keeping myself over 107lbs (yes, I have that opposite problem of many people fighting to keep weight on.. ) Gosh, I am really starting to like the sound of this!
    I have done all the grooming stuff (up to the GP ring), love the sales side of things, no job is below me (I'm the one scrubbing poop off the walls!) and quite enjoy the client interaction as well. Sounds like I may be able to find myself something later as long as I am willing to do other things aside from riding as well!

leilatigress - hahaha you made me laugh! I get along quite well with children though haven't actually taught any lessons before. I have more of a European style so may not do a great job of teaching the way the hunter coaches tend to but I've still spent the vast majority of my years in the hunters so perhaps it's something I could learn to teach! I still ride like a hunter when I need to so it shouldn't be so far a jump to teaching it, I hope!

Oooohh I somehow missed that when I did the first read-through with the faces... HAHA no, no. Not actual flipping, I hope! Small as they are, that would still hurt!
    I'd rather be riding!

Thanks for the explanation, that makes a lot more sense.

... I made the face because I was surprised that someone would assume THAT definition of flipping, when I thought it was pretty clear that I would have meant flipping as in buying for resale.

I didn't assume, I asked. I've never heard that term used (to mean either thing), so I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to ask about. The (nice) definition isn't immediately obvious from the term itself.

OP I absolutely 2nd the recommendation to work with pony breeding farms, they usually prefer to work with adults in the breaking and training of very young ponies, so you could definitely make some contacts on the breeding forum here.

I've always thought this would be a fun side job... I'm 4'10 1/2" and 85 lbs, so I usually get to lesson on the ponies when they're being bad for the lead-liners. d; I'd like to stick with the smalls though for breaking... closer to the ground!

Thanks for the explanation, that makes a lot more sense.

I didn't assume, I asked. I've never heard that term used (to mean either thing), so I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to ask about. The (nice) definition isn't immediately obvious from the term itself.
    Sorry, my use of the word "assume" was perhaps a poor choice. I didn't realize that people wouldn't know what "flipping" meant, since it is used in the same way that it is in real estate. I didn't mean to offend you with my second post. My apologies.

Sure, alot of the show barns can always use a competent adult Pony rider.

They are really hard to find because...

a) They need them weekdays before school lets out and early AMs at the shows during the week. Do not need them later afternoon, evening or weekends-that's when the Pony Jocks are out of school.

b) Most pay on a per ride basis and there is not enough money in it. Unless you take a position as a full time employee and do other barn work.

c) Most Adults want to keep their ammie status.

If you can work with those limitations, you should be able to find something. I don't know about the breeders but, seems to me, they may be on a per ride basis as well and they are trying to sell it ASAP. Limits the income potential.

Maybe you could look into freelancing as a Pony Rider so you aren't locked into one ride provider.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.