The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Debbie McDonald Has Serious Fall

Janet Foy just reported this on her FaceBook page:

Debbie McDonald just told me she escaped with only a concussion, facial lacerations and severe whiplash after being thrown 30 feet in the air straight into the ground.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Ouch. Lets hope she makes a complete recovery.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Thirty feet sailing through the air? Was that really from a horse? That's one heck of a launch!

Ouch. Hope she's better soon.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

jingles for DMac
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

sounds like she was wearing a helmet - good thing - jingles for a speedy recovery.

Thank goodness she is alright!

Oh my, that is quite a launch! I hope she recovers quickly!
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Default Is that about an old fall?

Was her facebook post perhaps about an old fall that happened while Debbie was wearing a helmet in a string of posts about how helmets are important or did she really JUST fall?

Edited to add: Found the news story a few posts down about her fall, it did indeed just happen. Hope she recovers quickly and so glad that she will be ok.
    Last edited by Tanyanoel; Feb. 2, 2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Found answer in news story.....

Wow, you mean this week Debbie McDonald and I have something in common? Glad she was wearing a helmet, and glad I escaped a trip to the hospital because of mine.

Default Just saw this news story......

Hmmm...You would think Janet Foy would be "in the loop" enough to know if it was a recent injury!! I'll have to go check DM's FB page to see whats up!!
    "Success comes in cans, not in cannots!"

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Thirty feet sailing through the air? Was that really from a horse? That's one heck of a launch!
    Ouch. Hope she's better soon.

one really really irritated large WB ?

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Hmm on Jan. 28th Debbie posted,...."Sorry folks, I'm leaving FB. It's been fun!" There are posts by others with no responce from Debbie after that ans a couple within the last hour wishing her well from the fall/injury. I do hope she is OK and I posted that everyone on the COTH is concerned for her!
    "Success comes in cans, not in cannots!"

I'm with her on leaving Facebook. Useless time sucker/black hole.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

My trainer was told by a recipient of Debbie's email that Debbie landed on her head and cracked the helmet.

I keep reading these protests about the USDF's new rule requiring helmets and wonder if the authors will still be whining that it's an adult's choice. It's just a helmet, not a chastity belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsandponies View Post
    My trainer was told by a recipient of Debbie's email that Debbie landed on her head and cracked the helmet.

I keep reading these protests about the USDF's new rule requiring helmets and wonder if the authors will still be whining that it's an adult's choice. It's just a helmet, not a chastity belt.
    Yeah, well, USEF (it's the USEF that writes the rules, not USDF) does not have any authority at a private training facility, so people will still ride w/o helmets at home or in state parks, etc. She just happens to be smart enough to wear a helmet when riding (or at least was this time--hopefully she does it all the time).

BTW, the helmet debate does have it's own thread already. I'm not so sure it really belongs on this one.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

from dressage-news

"The accident to Debbie occurred less than a month before safety helmets become mandatory at national level dressage classes in the United States as well as for junior and young horse classes and seniors who compete in both national and FEI levels at the same competition."
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

englslady Guest

Default Debbie McDonald accident details

You can read the full details of Debbie McDonalds accident at: http://www.riders4helmets.com/?p=2116

Follow riders4helmets on Facebook: http://www.riders4helmets.com

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    from dressage-news

"The accident to Debbie occurred less than a month before safety helmets become mandatory at national level dressage classes in the United States as well as for junior and young horse classes and seniors who compete in both national and FEI levels at the same competition."
    That is, once again, poor journalism. This NOTHING to do with the USEF rule--unless she was launched at a horse show. I gathered it wasn't at a show. Do I have that wrong?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I'm at a loss as to why that is poor journalism. All that was written was true. The only thing the writer was after was a timeline, and establish that wearing a helmet was important enough to make the rule. You either have a vivid imagination, cannot read AND understand what you're reading, or you've lost the plot !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._