The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ultralite Skull vs J3 Skull

Hey All!
    Looking at purchasing a new skull cap and wondering your experiences with the Ultralite and J3 Charles Owens skulls.
    The Ultralite is quite a bit less but with importing and paying taxes may only save me $40ish dollars and I can try the J3 on here. But did notice the J3 has, what looks to be an extra piece of material around the back bottom part of the helmet. I have a Tipperary Sportage at the moment and love it but am definitely needing a new helmet. I like the look of the J3 as well.

Anyhoo, any thoughts-I think there may have been another thread about the J3...can't remember.
    How does it compare in sizing to the Sportage??

Thanks

I think they're fairly different shapes (Tipp to J3). I'm comfortable in a Tipp, but the J3 is all wrong... I do fit Pro II tho...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

If you mean the CO ultralight european skull, be careful- that sucker is made for very round heads and does not fit like any other CO I have ever put on. I wear a Tipp sportage and that ultralight CO made me feel like my head was going to split.
    Most of the COs fit me fine but even so they are shaped a bit different than the Tipp so they may or may not also work for you. I do not know how the J3 is shaped (I have tried both the AYR8 which is supposedly for oval heads and the Pro Racing II Skull which is for oval to round and they both fit the shape of my head fine).
    Is it not possible for you to try one on?
    If not, you might want to talk to the customer service rep from whoever you might buy it from- they have more info about shape and fit than we do or than is in the catalogues
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

I can try the J3 on but the other 2 (Ultralite and Pro II) aren't in any stores close to me. There are other CO helmets for sale in a couple stores in my city but they're more expensive and I don't quite like the look of them.
    I think I have more of an oval shape head.
    Helmets should be cheaper since they're mandatory ;(

I have a J3 and really like it. My sister has the Ultralite euro one and she loves hers too. Big differences are the harness-J3 leather w/ padding on back Ultralite is nylon. Also the ultralite seems lower profile.

I have all 3. The J3 was bulkier to me than the Pro and Ultralite. I have a very small head, so I didn't think the fit differed much. I have a true oval head. The nylon harness in the Ultralite is fine. I use the Ultralite for dressage and stadium, and the Pro for xc. You can't go wrong with any of them-as long as they fit your head correctly.

Awesome advice everyone!! Thx a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by 2horseowner View Post
    I have all 3. The J3 was bulkier to me than the Pro and Ultralite. I have a very small head, so I didn't think the fit differed much. I have a true oval head. The nylon harness in the Ultralite is fine. I use the Ultralite for dressage and stadium, and the Pro for xc. You can't go wrong with any of them-as long as they fit your head correctly.
    Funny, the Pro is actually much bulkier on my head than the J3! (Of course, I ride in a Pro because it was cheaper, so I look like I'm wearing a bowling ball. ) Just goes to show that it all comes down to how your noggin is shaped...
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk