The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horsemans edge pellets

The barn im boarding at is changing feed to horseman's edlge pellets which is 10% protien 6% fat... i have a horse im trying to get gain weight and those percentages seem quite low to me? However i dont know much about nutrition and feed... please give me your opinions so i can talk to the barn manager
    thanks!
    He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable, He knows when you're confident, And he ALWAYS knows when you have carrots

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider33 View Post
    The barn im boarding at is changing feed to horseman's edlge pellets which is 10% protien 6% fat... i have a horse im trying to get gain weight and those percentages seem quite low to me? However i dont know much about nutrition and feed... please give me your opinions so i can talk to the barn manager
    thanks!
    Purina's Horsemans Edge was the old Omolene 100 formula before they added the Athlete pellets to it...

it is the mid grade feed line they sell

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I feed the Horseman's Edge 12% feed. We have for years and I do like it, but I recently got a new horse, a 4 year old(will actually be 4 in May) and he needs some weight put on him as well. He is 17.1 and just lanky. I know he will fill out with age and once he is on some type of training schedule, but I feel like there is more or something I can add to his feed for a little boost. Any ideas?

Jana
    Cres-Or-Lar Stable

IMHO Horseman's Edge is a decent feed- not top of the line but not bottom of the barrel either.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I bought a bag of Purinas Natures Essentials feed called Enrich with 32% protein. Well, it's a supplement so I will see if that help improve his overall condition.

Jana
    Cres-Or-Lar Stable

Having interned at a feed store when I was studying nutrition, I personally think the Horseman's Edge line is garbage. If you can only get Purina, you may have better luck with Ultium. I don't mind Enrich 12 or 32 but it's not necessarily a good feed for a horse that needs to gain weight, unless you're willing to add extras like rice bran, beet pulp, etc.

Agree with Callaway. Read the label of ingredients. Cheap crap. Fillers like peanut hulls are high on the list. Yet they want $14/bag or more for it? (around here anyway) Might as well feed straight oats and a ration balancer with extra beet pulp or hay cubes to help fatten your horse - or rice bran product. Sorry, if Purina is your only source for feed. I don't feed ANY of my animals Purina when I can avoid it.

Agree with the last to - HE is not even what I would consider a middle range product. Middle of the lower end maybe

Ration balancer (ie Enrich 32, 12) can be totally awesome choices for many horses, where you don't add more calories for the easy keepers, and add more calories for those who need it - alfalfa pellets, beet pulp, rice bran, etc.

We have been feeding our ponies and horses with it for years and years and have always had good results with it. Would you recommend something like the supplement Weight Builder?

Jana
    Cres-Or-Lar Stable

Re: Weight Builder and other similar products - there are far to many more nutritional options to try first

So, where would I find rice bran and how much of that do you feed? I have tried beet pulp in the past with a couple other horses and they had no interest in at all. Is that good for helping a horse to gain weight?

Jana
    Cres-Or-Lar Stable

Progressive feeds has a product called Envision, keeps weight on my 28 yr old TB. Wouldn't know his age until you opened his mouth

it's a fat supp 28%, with 3 and flax. It really is good stuff a little $$ but you only need just a handful 2x day

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme69 View Post
    So, where would I find rice bran and how much of that do you feed? I have tried beet pulp in the past with a couple other horses and they had no interest in at all. Is that good for helping a horse to gain weight?

Jana
    Cres-Or-Lar Stable
    You can find rice bran at just about any feed store. For improved body condition, the usual recommendaion is to feed 1-2# per day. Yes, it is a good addition for weight gain.

Be careful with the Enrich 32. It's a ration balancer - it's not designed to be fed on top of a full ration of HE. Follow the feeding instructions carefully. If you need to add calories to the ration balancer, consider sources such as alfalfa pellets, rice bran, beet pulp, or even something like Amplify (a Purina fat supp).

Since your at a boarding barn I know it may be hard to convince them to go with a different feed. Horseman's Edge does have a 10/10 formula. You might be able to get them to go with that. It is 10%fat. In my area the 10/10 goes for 12 a bag. I personally like Southen states triple 10 for the same price. Don't know if you have a Southern States near you though.

PS. I kind of expect boarding barns to maintain a healthy weight on a horse. Not nessecarily, put weight on a horse. I think buying a good weight gaining suppliment to add to his feed would be a good idea too.

I talked to the barn manager and am switching to Ultium.. unfortunately purina is my only choice :-\ but it looks like Ultium is the best of the purina line. Thanks so much for everyones input!
    He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable, He knows when you're confident, And he ALWAYS knows when you have carrots

Ugh! That's what I meant to get when I was at the feed store. It was the Amplify, not Enrich 32. I asked my feed guy what he recommened and he said Calf-Manna or the Enrich. I had remembered seeing the Amplify on line and was going to get it, but when I got there I couldn't remember what it was called and he didn't mention it. Would that be better or would the rice bran be better for some weight gain?

Jana
    Cres-Or-Lar Stable

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider33 View Post
    I talked to the barn manager and am switching to Ultium.. unfortunately purina is my only choice :-\ but it looks like Ultium is the best of the purina line. Thanks so much for everyones input!
    If it's any comfort, I am also not a Purina fan, but am feeding Ultium (mixed with a (non-Purina) senior feed) to my super-hard-keeper TB retiree, and adding it has done wonders for him (I didn't change the total lbs of grain he was getting; just replaced some of it with the Ultium).
    Proud member of the EDRF

Both Amplify and rice bran are good for weight gain. I have used and liked both. The new Strategy Healthy Edge is a nice low starch feed with Amplify nuggets in it - just incase you were looking for something cheaper then Ultium.

LOVE Ultium.
    Click here before you buy.